1. FAST6191

OP FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    What games do you still have in the shrink wrap? Any interesting stories by which you came by them or still have them. By all means share your signed 1st edition whatevers you are saving to fund something fun in a few years but weird and wonderful is also where it is at.

In my case I have but one (I like to play my games) and that is PAL xbox 360 Escape Dead Island.
    Now I think I was possibly the only person to like that game (GBAtemp review of the PS3 version https://gbatemp.net/review/escape-dead-island.238/ ) and I seriously do like it -- it is a trippy cel shaded psychological type game that might as well have come straight off the PS2 as far as gameplay goes but for the graphics and level size... while there are other things I want in games that sort of thing very much tickles me (don't know why Deadly Premonition got a cult following but this less so, one of those mysteries I guess).
    Saw that at a car boot sale one day and it was only £1 or 50p or something. Now it is mine.

I have seen a few other odd sealed games (usually the sort of thing a clueless relative buys a kid) but for whatever reason have not opted to do it. Might start if I have the funds.

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I have a sealed copy of Destiny the Taken King (or whatever it's called) for the ps4 because I bought the special edition for 5.05 firmware and well you can't go online with a hacked ps4 so yeah. I still have it :D

Scott_pilgrim and BORTZ like this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Well...I certainly won't dispute that owning a shrink wrap yet signed 1st edition would be a weird endeavor. ;)

Meanwhile, Somewhere in an alternative universe where E3 happened...
    Me: mr. Miyamoto! Mr. Miyamoto...can I get a signature on your game? I love it to bits!
    Shigeru: Is that so? You...haven't even opened it yet.
    Me: oh, don't worry about it. I'm from gbatemp. :)
    Shigeru: ah, that explains it. So...do you want me to unwrap it? :unsure:
    Me: NOOOO!!!! That way it'll be at best a near-near mint condition. Just sign the plastic...if you don't mind, of course.
    Shigeru: well...okay. *signs plastic*
    Shigeru: it's an illegible scribble this way.
    Me: even better! Now nobody can dispute I've got an authentic Japanese signature! :D
    *dances into the sunset*

Ahem...but in a serious answer: unless I'm mistaken, I've got an original fallout 'trilogy' (1, 2 and tactics) somewhere. If you want, I can weave a (lied) tale on how I obtained it, but the truth is that I just bought it in a bargain bin somewhere many years ago.

With a broader definition: I somewhat collect board games, and as my girlfriend is usually too passive to play anything she doesn't already know, I had "some" unopened board games. As we packed for moving, that "some" had accumulated to an entire box.
    Now I've since cut back and opened some of these, but from what remains, I can easily pick 'Pandemic: rising tide' as the weirdest one.

Now the pandemic series of games are co-op board games where you are part of a team that tries to stop illnessess from conquering the world. The main game and it's expansions are very popular, but the smaller versions (Iberia and, in this case, the Neterhlands) are hard to come by. This edition is extra weird not only because you're not fighting diseases but rising water (which makes it stand out a lot more), but also because it uses the original Dutch names. Which...lead to some funny moments when Americans try to review it ("vijfmerenlanden", "Goeree-Overflakkee"...they might exist, but they're not easy to pronounce for Americans :P ). Anyway...while it's not really the most obscure game on the planet, I had to scour quite some websites to find it.
    But I've got it. And if the current pandemic keeps up, I might unwrap it (though I've still got the main game, the first expansion and Iberia to keep me busy for many hours as far as that's concerned ;) ).

4. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    Man I don't think I have any game sealed at all. I always open what I get. I have no interest in keeping games around that I can't play or otherwise enjoy.

BigOnYa and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  5. skyluigi2

skyluigi2 Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I have a sealed copy of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (the DS version, not 3DS), which came as part of the collector's edition that only released in Japan.

6. Sheld9n

Sheld9n Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I am the proud owner of a sealed PS2 edition of SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab .

I bought it for one dollar at a Garage Sale. Why? Unknown. Why have I not thrown it away by now? Also unknown. Do I like Spongebob Squarepants? No.
    and here is the best part... Do I still own a PS2? No.:sad:

Scott_pilgrim and Mythical like this.
  7. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Paperboy for the GameBoy. Found it at goodwill for a dollar. I think it had a TJ Maxx sticker on it retailing for $30, originally.

Scott_pilgrim, Stealphie and weatMod like this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I have a unopened copy of Sonic generations for ps3. :ninja:

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    I think the only game I have around here that's never been opened is Dark Souls Remastered for the Switch :lol: Unopened because I only really bought it to own a physical copy of the Remaster that can sit on my shrine shelf with the rest of my Soulsborne stuff, was the only game in the series I was missing a physical copy of. And it'll probably go that way for the rest of time, since it's definitely the worst way to play the remaster ;O;

10. Wii_Shaker

Wii_Shaker Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have Sin and Punishment: Star Successor for Wii sealed in box.

Probably won't play it unless I want to make a YT video about it.

Sin and Punishment was never released in the US for N64 until the Wii VC and even then nobody cared. The sequel had even less hype behind it. Another one of Nintendo's bastard step-children it likes to keep in the attic.

11. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    US copy of cubic ninja , i bought the EU version for my imported EU N3ds XL
    even though i had a Gateway from day one ( got the EU version used, i used it for something but i forget what now LOL)

also Friday the 13th ultimate slasher edition XBOXONE (no live account, waiting to see if i can get enough credits from bing to get one for free , but no time to play it anyway ,and my friend who has it that i was planning to play it with had his XBOXONE power supply shit the bed)

Last edited by weatMod, Apr 24, 2020
  12. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Jordan vs. Bird: One on One for the NES. This is the only sealed game I own (got it from my grandma who owned a video store in the 80s).

13. Wii_Shaker

Wii_Shaker Member
    Newcomer

United States
    That's cooler than having an uncle that works at Nintendo.

I bet your Christmases and birthdays were epic.

Scott_pilgrim and DarkFlare69 like this.
  14. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    The people who don't play their games are disgusting.

15. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Cool thread all of these are PS4 games that are still in the plastic one of my biggest problems with PS4 was I always bought a game when it was a good sale but I never played it... but these are physical copies that I never played.

Assassins Creed Odyssey (Black Friday 2018)
    Bordenralnds Handsome Collection (Sale at gamestop for $15)
    Destiny 2 (Sale at gamestop for $10)
    Tom Clancy Division 2 (Sale at gamestop for $20)
    Overwatch (Black Friday 2019)
    Resident Evil 7 (This was a gift)
    God of War (The latest one) (This was a gift)
    Shadow Of Tomb raider (Black Friday 2018)
    The Amazing Spiderman (This was a gift)
    Monster Hunter World (Sale at gamestop for $20)

Last edited by Goku1992A, Apr 28, 2020
  16. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Okami Wii, Klonoa Wii and Animal Crossing City Folk (Wii).

And those are the ones I could find in a minute.

Generally I tended to remove the warp even if I don't play the game because I used to love looking at Game manuals. Modern games come with digital manuals so I unwarp games only I am going to play them.

Some PS2 games while I bought new, didn't come with the plastic warp as it was removed in the store to check the disk was not damaged before they have it to me. Or more common because they had the discs on storage and the boxes were empty because the only copy left was the one they had at the window.

17. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    Pokemon Sun (3DS)
    Pokemon Moon (3DS)
    Pokemon UltraSun+Pokemon UltraMoon Dual-pack (3DS)
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3DS) x2
    The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
    Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch)

Nothing crazy, but it's a start.

18. blindseer

blindseer Past Generation Gamer

United States
    I have a sealed copy of both the regular and collectors edition of Shantae and the Pirates Curse for the switch. And boy did I feel like I overpaid when I bought them at that time lol.

19. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    Necro?
    I mean, it's on topic, but wow.

Jayro likes this.
  20. MrCokeacola

MrCokeacola The Xbox Guy

Canada
    I have a sealed copy of halo 2 platinum hits that is in a green 360 case. Always thought it was weird.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - weirder, Sealed, better