seagate freeagent go with firewire and usbloaders

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by nando, Jun 24, 2009.

Jun 24, 2009
  1. nando
    OP

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    does anyone here have a seagate with firewire working on the wii? i got one and it doesn't seem to be recognized. i partitioned it and formatted it in all kinds of variations. right now it's one partition in fat32 with Master Boot Record and still nothing.

my freeagent is NO go, thus far.

i got the 320gb and running on mac. next thing i'm gonna try is to format it on a windows machine.

2. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    For compatablity with the Wii, the drive needs to be formatted with the WBFS file system. The easiest way to do this is to use WBFS Manager, currently available only for Windows. (http://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com/)

To do this, you must delete all the partitions on the drive, and format it in the RAW filesystem, and mount it onto a driver letter. You then use WBFS manager to format the drive to WBFS. From there, USB loaders should recognise the drive.

Also, you are connecting the drive via USB right? Firewire is not compatable with the Wii.

3. nando
    OP

United States

of course i didn't force the firewire into the usb port [​IMG]

so this is were i'm at.

i installed windows xp on my computer. i deleted the partitions and i assigned it a mount letter. but then i couldn't use wbfs manager because i couldn't install the .net whatever because windows can't connect to internet.

so i used PrixM´s WBFS GUI. i popped it into the wii and got nothing. i tried coverfloader and usbloadergx. i tried it in different ways, starting the hbc first and then starting the drive etc and i got nothing. i put the drive back on os x and wbfs for mac recognize it and i could copy games onto it, but the wii couldn't read it.

now i'm at work. i couldn't install wbfs manager here either because the windows installation is messed up and it's really not my job to fix it. so i decide to try HP's usb drive formatter. now i have to wait home to see if that works.

my theory: my drive came pre formatted for mac. when i first got it i looked at it with Drive Genius and it had 4 partitions. 2 very small invisible ones named Apple Free Space 1 and 2. another invisible one with the partition map GUID and last the HFS+. so i think i'm having trouble getting rid of the tiny free space. windows doesn't see those partitions and os x won't format without making them.

i will keep trying for a while. but i really think those little free spaces are at the beginning of the disk so i can't have wbfs as the main partition. [​IMG]

EDIT: HP format tool left me with only 120GBs of usable space, so i tried verbatim's tool instead. can't wait to go home and test [​IMG]

at home i tried formatting using command line but the keyboard entry was all messed up... i didn't have "/" or ":" i copied them and pasted from other documents but it took so long and the wii still didn't read.

4. nando
    OP

United States
    i got nothing.

i got the .net framwork and wbfs manager 3 installed. formatted my drive. i could add games and the wii just won't read.

i should throw in the towel

5. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  6. Finishoff

Member Finishoff GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have the Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB and it works perfectly fine loading games and saving games onto the hard drive.
    Use the USB port, not the firewire.

7. nando
    OP

United States
    yeah i saw that. it's not on there, but i'm pretty certain it doesn't work now.

oh well, it's a great time machine backup. i got excited because wbfs manager 3 can read it through firewire and can transfer very fast.

thanks anyway

EDIT: i've been using the usb the whole time. i got the firewire just incase it became my computer backup and now it is [​IMG]