Sea of Thieves: Will it Sink or Sail?

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Games & Content' started by Hells Malice, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Hells Malice
    OP

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Unlikely. The tiny few people who feel that way pale in comparison to the massive hype train surrounding this game. It will be a commercial success, sales wise. Most gamers these days don't even know Rare.

It'll never happen. This game doesn't work without other players. It's built entirely around them. If you didn't have other players, you'd get bored and quit in a day or less. Especially as is. There wont be a singleplayer version of the game.

2. ca032769

ca032769 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    United States
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, I'm just silly like that sometimes...

3. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    rare replay is a fuc*ing sham, everything had to be downloaded from the internet onto the console. i thought they woulda sorta remaster the games but nope, they just made hd ports

as for the beta, obviously nobody can officially review a demo, but its wasnt fun. i think the age group for this game would be fun for ages 13-15yr imo

4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    afaik only the xbox360 titles needed download from the wen, all rest would install fine from the disc itself.

5. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    it shouldn't need an internet connection if on physical disc

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    look at COD WW2 on any system, the disc is useless the game does not start until you download 9gb from the servers as a day one patch lol, or some switch cheap ass games like nba,wwe or lanoir where you need to download half of the game from servers.

so yeah its not the first time this has been done, even on ps3 the metal gear legacy collection instead of having ps1 metal gear solid on disc just made you download it from psn lol.

7. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I watched a few streams of the game. Environment, especially the water looks great. Characters look bad imo, then I heard that you can't create your character. That is what killed the enthusiasm a bit for me. This article brings up a very good point. The reason I won't be purchasing this game is the forced pvp. Just a personal thing, but I hate the stereotype/stigma that pvp has. It's the reason I quit GTA online. Even with its "safety measures" (which also potentially exclude you from enjoying your time in the game) the people are just so toxic. A little griefing here and there is harmless, but when the whole game is dominated by snot nosed trolls, I'm out.

Chary likes this.
  8. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    I 'think' the original metal gear game had to be psn because Nintendo has the licence to Metal Gear:Twin Snakes for GameCube, I could be wrong. But the metal heat collection only had the ps1 game. But going by numbers, when people hear about how bad the day one patch is, they don't buy the game or wait until its completely finished to try it out. These half finished games aren't doing too hot in terms of units sold

9. RayD97

RayD97 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2015
    Canada
    They should implement a bounty system. If there is a player that does large amounts of killing on sight, they get bounties slapped on their heads, and people can try to take them down, and get reward loot.

Although I guess that would encourage player killing because who wouldn't want to be the baddest pirate with the largest bounty?
    I guess I thought that would be cool.

Last edited by RayD97, Mar 11, 2018
    Chary likes this.
  10. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    sink

I think that in the first few weeks it will do well, but as soon as the player count starts to fall it will plummet into un-playability.

Last edited by KingBlank, Mar 11, 2018
  11. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    How can it flop if it were the top selling game on amazon after MH:W throughout January (arguably the top selling game as both the disc and digital code had spots there).

Even if it were so, right now Microsoft seems to be aiming for 1st party game sales as much as netflix cares for ticket sales for content they produce.

It's as if some people here WANT IT to fail, since I never saw such anticipation for other games prior to release.

12. Hells Malice
    OP

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    It's a game that lives by its playerbase. Sales mean nothing if 90% of that playerbase gets bored and drops off after a month. The more the population drops, the less fun it becomes. The less fun it becomes, the more people drop. That's a population death spiral, and it's incredibly common for games reliant on a strong playerbase.

The hype is real, but it's a vast overstatement to say it's one of the most anticipated games ever.

It has a ton of potential, as I said. But it also has a lot of issues that quickly need to be resolved before it's too late. There's beginning to be a lot of doubt about the content after the "final beta".

13. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    I agree but the anticipation I was talking about was this kind of anticipation, the pessimistic one which I didn't recall for other releases here in temp even for games that looked genuinely bland at first sight such as No Man's Sky.

About the player base they probably expect to keep it alive thanks to game pass, but I also fear for this game mid term replayability. They'd need to work on a better progression system, events and random/rare (no pun intended) stuff to keep this game alive if they're not going for the full pvp route.

14. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    This is extremely disappointing. I was really excited for this when it was announced but not so much now. I guess I'll wait to see if it gets patched up in the future.