Sea of Stars will feature music composed by Chrono Trigger's Yasunori Mitsuda

QsOldM1.png

Announced last month as a prequel to The Messenger, was Sea of Stars, a Kickstarter-funded turn-based RPG. The game quickly reached its required goal of $94,289, and went further beyond that, adding multiple stretch goals such as in-game cinematics, a bonus dungeon, an extra ending, and a new game+ feature. Another surprise is in store for backers, too, with the announcement of a guest composer for the game. Yasunori Mitsuda, most known for their work on the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, as well as tracks for Xenogears, Mario Party 1, and Inazuma Eleven, will be joining the team, to create select pieces for Sea of Stars.

Mitsuda commented on his involvement with the project, saying that "'without knowing exactly why, I want to write music for this game' was the feeling I had while seeing it convey the nostalgic golden age of the 90s. Although there are still many games being released with this classic style, I don't think players are satisfied with just nostalgia. As seen in their previous game, by adding new systems and ideas to classic formulas, Sabotage Studio breathes fresh, new air into their work. Impressed by the respect they show for past games while at the same time giving players new ways to have fun, I found myself wanting to make a game with everyone at Sabotage Studio. Please look forward to an exciting adventure."

Sea of Stars will release sometime in March 2022 for PC and consoles.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks neat. Haven't heard of it before, but if it scratches that chrono trigger itch, worth looking into. Here's hoping the gameplay lives up to the music.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually my first time hearing about this game so I just watched a trailer -- and GOD DAMN, it looks awesome! I can't believe they managed to get the musical legend himself composing for it. It's perfectly fitting for the style!

Reactions: Xzi

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
prequel to The Messenger

I'm curious about the first "The Messenger" game.
Looking at it, it seems to be an action plateformer, not a RPG at all?
really strange to make a prequel as full RPG, no? prequels/sequels are usually all the same style.

It seems it's also a metroidvania, so I'm curious to try The messenger now.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks neat. Haven't heard of it before, but if it scratches that chrono trigger itch, worth looking into. Here's hoping the gameplay lives up to the music.

The best way to live up chrono trigger is to make their new turned based rpg the same way chrono trigger was made: a snes development environment. You have to make it run on a snes. When a dev team is restricted to those confinements, it forces them to be creative. Look at the snes gems, mario rpg,final fantasy 6,star ocean, tales of phantasia, and of course chrono trigger. It needs to be made the same way rpgs were made for the snes.

Reactions: Cyan and osaka35

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about the first "The Messenger" game.
Looking at it, it seems to be an action plateformer, not a RPG at all?
really strange to make a prequel as full RPG, no? prequels/sequels are usually all the same style.

It seems it's also a metroidvania, so I'm curious to try The messenger now.
The Messenger is essentially Sabotage's own take on the Ninja Gaiden/Shinobi (NES) style of game, with some modernized elements. Extremely tight controls, a top-notch chiptune soundtrack, and amazing platforming. There are some levels with alternate paths and secret areas, but I wouldn't really call it a Metroidvania since you move from level to level and don't come back after defeating a boss.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
on the wiki, I've read it's level to level, until a specific point where you can come back to gather what you missed and unlock paths "ala metroidvania".
but it's maybe just an option to return to old level to complete them?
thank you for your quick review.

Edit Feb 2022:
I played and completed the Messenger.
It is indeed an ode to old games like Ninja Gaiden in 8bit for half of the game, then it become Metroidvania in 16 bit where you have to backtrack in all previous (and new) levels to find hidden items required to cancel the curse.
Pseudo spoil, it allows the player to switch from 8bit/16bit (audio & video!) and explore both levels in two different flavor in order to unlock secrets.
The game has an unique humor and twist that let you enjoy it even when you already know about the expected "16bit metroidvania" part.

Very tight control, sometime very hard bosses too.
It has a "sun and moon temple" from a now extinct civilization who lived on earth decades ago.... And that's the prequel ! Sea of Stars lets the player control either the Sun or the Moon character and control time.

I've seen Sea of Stars preview on their Twitch's official, I'm now waiting Sea of Stars very much !!!
very nice graphics, animations, music (duality, like The Messenger 8/16bit, now the same tune for Day/night), cross character technics like Chrono trigger and great game ideas.
Holidays 2022.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Xzi

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Announced last month as a prequel to The Messenger, was Sea of Stars, a Kickstarter-funded turn-based RPG. The game quickly reached its required goal of $94,289, and went further beyond that, adding multiple stretch goals such as in-game cinematics, a bonus dungeon, an extra ending, and a new game+ feature. Another surprise is in store for backers, too, with the announcement of a guest composer for the game. Yasunori Mitsuda, most known for their work on the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, as well as tracks for Xenogears, Mario Party 1, and Inazuma Eleven, will be joining the team, to create select pieces for Sea of Stars.

Mitsuda commented on his involvement with the project, saying that "'without knowing exactly why, I want to write music for this game' was the feeling I had while seeing it convey the nostalgic golden age of the 90s. Although there are still many games being released with this classic style, I don't think players are satisfied with just nostalgia. As seen in their previous game, by adding new systems and ideas to classic formulas, Sabotage Studio breathes fresh, new air into their work. Impressed by the respect they show for past games while at the same time giving players new ways to have fun, I found myself wanting to make a game with everyone at Sabotage Studio. Please look forward to an exciting adventure."

Sea of Stars will release sometime in March 2022 for PC and consoles.

:arrow: Source
hopefully after this we'll end up getting word of parts 2 and 3 of the messenger's dlc
I'm hyped as hell for this too but it's kind of weird that they just suddenly released picnic panic, made it clear it was part one of three, then... nothing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.