Hardware SDHC Card Passed FakeFlashTest, But very Slow!

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 32GB SDHC card off Amazon for my nephew O3DSXL. Brand is PNY ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WWBCQCK/ref=twister_B00X0VL4FG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ).

For some unknown reason, it's very slow. I tested it with FakeFlashTest 1.1 witht eh destructive (quick) test and it's passed (However took like 10 minutes). Transfer files from PC onto the SDHC card locked at 1MBps or less! Quick format the SDHC card or create EMUNAND using 3DS MultiNAND creator program on PC takes way longer than anything I have experienced.

I dread running test with h2testw 1.4 because at this rate it would take days to finish the test. Also don't want to risk bricking the 3DS I haven't used the card with 3DS.

Is FakeFlashTest really reliable? Is this a case of malfunction/defective SD rather fake SD?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I'm not familiar with FakeFlashTest, but h2testw works by writing data to every area of the card, and then reading it back. If FFT doesn't take as long as h2testw, then it can't be as thorough.

Is your card reader plugged into a USB 1 or 2 port? Is your computer generally switched on all the time? If so, restart it, because USB 2 ports can get 'stuck' in USB 1 mode.

Reactions: tivu100

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just bought a 32GB SDHC card off Amazon for my nephew O3DSXL. Brand is PNY ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WWBCQCK/ref=twister_B00X0VL4FG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ).

For some unknown reason, it's very slow. I tested it with FakeFlashTest 1.1 witht eh destructive (quick) test and it's passed (However took like 10 minutes). Transfer files from PC onto the SDHC card locked at 1MBps or less! Quick format the SDHC card or create EMUNAND using 3DS MultiNAND creator program on PC takes way longer than anything I have experienced.

I dread running test with h2testw 1.4 because at this rate it would take days to finish the test. Also don't want to risk bricking the 3DS I haven't used the card with 3DS.

Is FakeFlashTest really reliable? Is this a case of malfunction/defective SD rather fake SD?
Did you buy from Amazon themselves or a 3rd party seller?

It could be made using low quality binned components that failed QC and were used anyway by a ghost shift worker, that more commonly happens with Kingston though it could happen anywhere. Basically a "fake" card, as it's made using original components without the manufacturer's consent it's not exactly fake, just low quality and possibly faulty. With Kingston these faulty/"fake"/low quality cards actually get mixed in with the legitimate ones sometimes so there's no way to be safe. I don't know about PNY though, they always seemed like a cheapo brand to me so I've avoided them.

Anyway, it's safe to say that this card is faulty, who knows how long before it stops working at all. You should get a replacement while you still can. Though try what the above poster said, I've never experienced USB getting locked in 1.1 mode but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It could be made using low quality binned components that failed QC and were used anyway by a ghost shift worker, that more commonly happens with Kingston though it could happen anywhere. Basically a "fake" card, as it's made using original components without the manufacturer's consent it's not exactly fake, just low quality and possibly faulty. With Kingston these faulty/"fake"/low quality cards actually get mixed in with the legitimate ones sometimes so there's no way to be safe. I don't know about PNY though, they always seemed like a cheapo brand to me so I've avoided them.

Anyway, it's safe to say that this card is faulty, who knows how long before it stops working at all. You should get a replacement while you still can. Though try what the above poster said, I've never experienced USB getting locked in 1.1 mode but I suppose it's worth a shot.
Agreed I always buy Sandisk from Amazon themselves.

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the explanation. Seems to be the case, tried to run h2testw (still way less than half way even I left it there overnight) and seems to be legit card with little/acceptable corrupted data so far (most of other legit cards I test have the same result at this state). It's just the speed is too slow for the supposed advertised transfer speed of this card (see the link).

I bought it directly from Amazon during their PNY card one day sale. First time buying PNY SD card too.

I'm not familiar with FakeFlashTest, but h2testw works by writing data to every area of the card, and then reading it back. If FFT doesn't take as long as h2testw, then it can't be as thorough.

Is your card reader plugged into a USB 1 or 2 port? Is your computer generally switched on all the time? If so, restart it, because USB 2 ports can get 'stuck' in USB 1 mode.

My laptop's on all the time. I don't use sleep mode so there shouldn't be a case of USB stuck in USB 1.0 mode. I shut down laptop when I go to sleep unless leave it for h2testw like last night. I tested other sandisk cards in that session too and it just normal transfer rate 10MBps+ & <20 MBps. The card reader's built in the laptop (only 1 slot) and this is SDHC so I don't need an adapter. I don't expect advertised transfer speed on the card I just newly bought because of my hardware limitation, but <1 MBps for any cards is just wrong.

Last edited by tivu100,

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If h2testw is reporting corrupt data on all your cards then your card reader has most likely developed a fault. There is no such thing as "acceptable" levels of corruption! Get yourself a new external card reader.

tivu100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If h2testw is reporting corrupt data on all your cards then your card reader has most likely developed a fault. There is no such thing as "acceptable" levels of corruption! Get yourself a new external card reader.
So less than 10MBytes of corrupted data is still considered as defective?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Absolutely, if it's corrupted, it's no good - you have no guarantee that particular 10Mb won't be used for storing your valuable data. If h2testw just reports that it's not going to test 10Mb, then that's fine. But if it says it's tested and found data to be corrupt then you have a defect with either your SD card or the reader. If it reports it across all of your cards then it's most likely the reader - either that or you're the worlds unluckiest SD consumer!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)