Hacking SD resistance with .cia games installed and emunand

snaky90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi !

I'm thinking to installing a backup to my SD card (samsung class 10) where i've also installed emunand.
In the future, when no longer use gateway I would like to flash this emunand on my sysnand so i would't like to lose it by mistake with the SD
That said I would like to ask, use .cia and emunand would generate further deterioration of my SD? (Becase emunand and installed cia game are read in the same card)

Thanks !

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, installing emuNAND and then installing .CIA files is not outside of normal read/write operations of an SD card. It won't die any faster than it would from normal use (read/write of photos, videos, etc).

snaky90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But play .cia installed games does not generate enough reading and writing operations (from installed cia and emunand)?

Rediska

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
i recommend you to have Formated System (I mean remove all SD cards from console and goto Settings->Other->Format System). that's totally unlink your system from emu and will use separate folder at all....

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi !

I'm thinking to installing a backup to my SD card (samsung class 10) where i've also installed emunand.
In the future, when no longer use gateway I would like to flash this emunand on my sysnand so i would't like to lose it by mistake with the SD
That said I would like to ask, use .cia and emunand would generate further deterioration of my SD? (Becase emunand and installed cia game are read in the same card)

Thanks !

I'd recommend NOT using samsung cards. I'm using a samsung ultra class 10 32gb (a fairly popular choice) and it always gives me problems of "SD read error". For regular 3DS use, this means kicking you out of games. For emunand, this means your whole system crashing. It's pretty frustrating. Go for literally any other brand/card, IMO.

As far as flashing your sysNand, that beats the entire purpose of emunand, so no. Don't do that.

But play .cia installed games does not generate enough reading and writing operations (from installed cia and emunand)?

Not any more than regularly buying 3DS games off the eShop. Which is fairly safe and fine to do. No extra stress on the card.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend NOT using samsung cards. I'm using a samsung ultra class 10 32gb (a fairly popular choice) and it always gives me problems of "SD read error". For regular 3DS use, this means kicking you out of games. For emunand, this means your whole system crashing. It's pretty frustrating. Go for literally any other brand/card, IMO.

I have a Samsung Evo 16GB Class 10 MicroSD card and not had any issues with it. Maybe you just got a bad card or a fake one?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Samsung Evo 16GB Class 10 MicroSD card and not had any issues with it. Maybe you just got a bad card or a fake one?

There's several threads on Nintendo's support forums about this particular model of card. This one in particular: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Me...e=UTF8&qid=1421965755&sr=1-4&keywords=32gb+sd

It's not a fake card, as it works fine on both my computer and raspberry pi (which was it's new home for a while). And it even works on the 3DS once it gets going. It just seems to have some sort of weird sporadic loading, which the 3DS has problems with. Once it's loaded and ready to go, it'll work for hours. But even on my retail stuff it takes maybe 4-5 times before it's "steady". It's a fairly well known issue by this point. The fix? Get a different SD card. Though the problem only seems to exist with the specific samsung ultra cards. 32gb is the most common problem causer, since it's the most recommended. As I said, any other card is fine.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

snaky90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, 1. that's a microsd, 2. it's an evo.

As the other guy said, it should work fine. I was just warning about if you were going to buy an SD card, since the samsung ultra cards tend to have problems (even when they are legit).

Is it possible Nintendo 3DS has problem with high speed cards ?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible Nintendo 3DS has problem with high speed cards ?

I'm not entirely sure. As I said, the problem seems isolated to that model of card. I have an 8gb class 10 transcend that works fine. I'm not sure what it is about the samsung sandisk ultra cards, but I do know that they cause problems.

----

Excuse my idiocy. I apparently can't read. saNDISK, has the problems. Not samsung. I don't know why the two are so damn similar. Same kind of style to their cards, same naming scheme, etc. I also retardedly linked to a Sony card. I must not be getting much sleep lately. Anyway, SaNDISK 32GB ultra. Samsung/Sony are fine. I'm just being stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans