"SD Not Initialized!"

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lonegreyride, Jul 6, 2009.

Jul 6, 2009

"SD Not Initialized!" by lonegreyride at 3:39 PM (1,715 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. lonegreyride
    OP

Newcomer lonegreyride Advanced Member

Canada
    Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me. I think I may have ruined a friend's 8GB SDHC card while softmodding his wii, but it'd be nice if someone with more technical expertise could confirm this for me. Here's what happened:

After softmodding the wii, upgrading to 4.0, installing several forwarder channels and a custom menu, I was using the Homebrew Browser to update some of the emulators which were copied from my SD card. I updated 3 emulators fine, then when I clicked on the NES emulator (which had a question mark indicating it needed to be updated) the screen just went black. I waited long enough to know nothing was going to happen, and held in on the power button to turn the wii off.
    I then started the wii back up, went back into the Homebrew Browser, updated the remaining two emulators, and returned to the main menu. Then, to test both the forwarder channels, and the emulators, I began by running Hu-Go, the TurboGrafx-16 emulator, loading up one of the Bonk games, and once it was loaded fine, I exited the emulator by choosing 'Reboot System'.
    Since the system rebooted, any time I try to open any of the apps on my SD (either through forwarder or HBC), I get "SD not initialized! Rebooting Wii...". I've tried formatting the card using a few different tools (including SDFormatter), recopying the files, copying files from a different source, but no matter what I still get the error.
    Thing is, when I put my own SD card into his wii (which his card is a clone of), it reads it fine and runs the apps, so it's obviously an error with this particular card.

So, I'm just wondering if there's anything else anyone knows of to help me out besides formatting... or do I just owe my friend an 8GB SDHC card? Thanks for reading, sorry for the length. Cheers.

2. Rammoth

Member Rammoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Have you tried putting the SD card in the computer instead of the Wii? See if it works there.
    Cause if the PC can read it, there shouldn't be anything wrong with the card itself.

3. lonegreyride
    OP

Canada
    Sorry, didn't realize I left that detail out. It does read fine in the computer, I've copied all my files to and from the computer and reformatted the card a few times with Windows and with SDFormatter. But no matter what I do, it absolutely will not work in the Wii. The Homebrew Channel can see all the apps, but nothing will run.

For now, I'm just going to return it to the store and get a different brand, although I've never had a problem with Kingston before. I checked the return policy and I'm fairly certain they'll let me exchange it.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Rammoth

Member Rammoth GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sorry, I am by no means a SD expert. I thought the Wii wouldn't be able to see any SD cards higher than 2G unless you did the fix for that.

Anyway, since it runs on the computer, there isn't anything wrong with the card itself. Really can't help you with anything else though I'm afraid. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this stuff will be able to help you.

The only advice I can give you is that IF you return the SD card. Try to get a Sandisk. It's supposed to run best (and fastest) with the Wii.

5. lonegreyride
    OP

Canada
    Thanks, I returned the card today, and will be returning it again... like an idiot, I tried out a Duracell card, which isn't working at all. I'll have to look elsewhere for a sandisk... the 8gb sandisk was around $65 at Futureshop, where my friend bought this... as opposed to the original Kingston at $35 (which I still consider expensive) and this Duracell... the next cheapest, at $40.

6. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Have you tried another sd card in the wii?

7. lonegreyride
    OP

Canada
    Yeah, I did:
    I also tried a 2GB Sandisk which worked fine. I telling him now to just use the 2GB... he won't be adding anything later, and the 8GB was mainly to include a full set of GBA roms, and a bunch of WiiWare games on the SD Channel, which will probably never be used.
    The thing that I found weird about all of this was how his original SD card was working fine until I restarted the Wii from the Hu-Go emulator, after which point it never worked in the Wii again, but worked fine in a computer.