Hacking Question SD needed formatting (probably corrupted), now the switch won't boot anymore

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Good Evening,

in the middle of transfering a XCI file the process abruptly stopped and had to be cancelled because there was something wrong with :E/the SD card. So I removed it, plugged the switch back in and tried to boot it. TegraRcm had the prompt that the payload was injected successfully but the screen stayed black. So I removed it from the switch and put it back in the PC where I instantly got the prompt that it had to be formatted to be recognized.

Formatted it through windows, it showed up again and I used fat32format to format it to fat32. Placed the SXOS boot.dat and two licence files on it and put it back into the switch. However when I open TegraRcm now it says no RCM found and I'm lost on how to proceed.

How screwed am I and what are the next steps to hopefully get things working again?

Thanks in advance for any help!

E: I do have a backup of 7.x (because I don't think I made a higher one) with some folders like the Nintendo one and boot 0/1 and rawNAND on it if that helps.
E2: RCM gets recognized and it boots with backup SD so I guess I will have to copy everything on it and place it on the other SD card that I normally use.

Last edited by LysergCooltyp,

LysergCooltyp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
upload_2019-9-27_2-29-43.png

Placed all files on the SD card and was prompted to install the drivers which I did. Injected the payload but the screen stays black.

Injecting the heakte bin and making a new backup just to be save seems to work which is why I don't get why it blackscreens when I launch the SXOS payload. It's the most recent one and the files are on the SD card.

E: Atmosphere boots so this has to be SX related. :unsure:
E2: Swapped the files out three times and now it works again for whatever reason. So solved (back to crying in a corner because I have to redownload everything).

Last edited by LysergCooltyp,

LysergCooltyp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like it's potentially a fake SD card. What brand is it, and where did you buy it?
SanDisk from Amazon.

Fake card or corrupt sector damage .

Card was working fine previously and seems to work again to an extend, however some of the homebrew starts and while claiming it did it's job doesn't do it which is odd because everything was working fine prior to the corruption/formatting.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
SanDisk from Amazon.

Card was working fine previously and seems to work again to an extend, however some of the homebrew starts and while claiming it did it's job doesn't do it which is odd because everything was working fine prior to the corruption/formatting.

Yes, some fake cards will work fine until you fill them up past what their real capacity is. As for Amazon, that doesn't matter since by default Amazon comingles their "sold and fulfilled by Amazon" and "sold by [someone else] and fulfilled by Amazon" inventory thus if even one of the "sold by ShadyCompany and fulfilled by Amazon" sellers is sending fakes to Amazon's warehouse they still get put in one big bin with the "sold by Amazon" ones. The only thing you can do is run h2testw or the Linux/Mac equivalent on every card as soon as you get it and yes that can take all day especially with the large SD card sizes nowadays.

KitsumiTheFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes, when the PC says no RCM, you need to unplug it from the PC, power off the switch by holding the power button, and then plug it back in. I've had the no RCM issue before and that helped me.

LysergCooltyp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, some fake cards will work fine until you fill them up past what their real capacity is. As for Amazon, that doesn't matter since by default Amazon comingles their "sold and fulfilled by Amazon" and "sold by [someone else] and fulfilled by Amazon" inventory thus if even one of the "sold by ShadyCompany and fulfilled by Amazon" sellers is sending fakes to Amazon's warehouse they still get put in one big bin with the "sold by Amazon" ones. The only thing you can do is run h2testw or the Linux/Mac equivalent on every card as soon as you get it and yes that can take all day especially with the large SD card sizes nowadays.

I will look into that, however I'm pretty sure I had it nearly filled prior to getting a HDD for the switch so I think it's a legit card and I was just unfortunate to have some corruption. I can't figure out why the homebrew is dodgey randomly now tho.

Sometimes, when the PC says no RCM, you need to unplug it from the PC, power off the switch by holding the power button, and then plug it back in. I've had the no RCM issue before and that helped me.

Yea, that's what I did and it worked afterwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1