SD Card / wad / channel problems - help?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Notyalc, Feb 17, 2010.

Feb 17, 2010
  1. Notyalc
    OP

Member Notyalc GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, I've got a few problems ATM with my wii.

I've always had the problem of some things not always connecting to my SD (It's a micro sd 8gb in an adapter to fit as sd).

The HBC & SD Card Menu both seem to find it & use it fine.

But things like the Wad manager (1.4 is my usual, but I also have a 2.1 about) & WiiXplorer don't seems to find it.

I should point out that it does work sometimes, just not that often.

Until now I've just been using my USB for most of my wad installing, various apps, etc.

Yesterday, I'd been installing some forwarder channels like for VBAgx & wii64 & then a couple of wiiware, & after trying out Max & the Magic Mrker (was being stored on SD, which my wii handles well - no problems) & then exiting I had a message of System files corrupted (or something along those lines.

I quickly turned off my wii, & turned it back on.

It was only now that when I noticed the channel for Max & TMM, was being labelled just 'Max'. This did seem odd. but I left it be.

I decided to delete all of the forwarder channels (that's the right name, right? or is it 'hybrid'?).

Now checking on my Wii's system memory I had a new 'channel' named; 'SD Card Menu Max' ('max' on the line below).
    however, this isn't a channel on the Wii menu or anything. On the System memory under channels, it has the icon of a blank channel, with an SD inside it.

One of the problems with this is, it's about 300 blocks & so I doubt there's many more wads I can install (I think there's about 100 left).

So, my wii is working fine. But, I am concerned, I've never had the afore-mentioned warning about the system files before & I don't wa't to do much more.

Frankly I'm thinking to do a number of things, but I don't know, so here are my thoughts of what I should do:

- Create a backup of the wii's current system memory - which is working so it seems I should backup this now incase it gets worse (unfortunately I don't know how to use BootMii properly, but I'll talk about that in a bit)

- Delete the Max & the magic markr off my SD's memory (this is the game itself not the 'SD Card Menu Max' thing)

- Delete the 'SD Card Menu Max' thing.

I don't know if these are the right things to do obviously, so here I am asking for the opinions of the (let's face it) experts.

As for BootMii, allow me to explain my current standing point.

I've got a spare 2gb SD which I've got the specific Bootmii stuff on so that if this SD's in the Wii on startup, it'll go straight to BootMii. This is seperate form my 8gb MicroSD in the adapter (which is used primarily for storage of VC/Wiiware).

Unfortunately I don't know how to back up the Wii's sytem memory through bootmii (or any method for that matter), so if somebody could give me some instructions, it'd be very much appreciated!

I believe the wii's internal memory is like 512mb, so the 2gb SD should be able to store that fine, yes? (Something to do with 'NAND', right?)

And backing up my system's memory is only making a copy? Not moving the Wii's memory? So my wii will carry on afterwards as though nothing's happened?

Sorry to bother you all on here, but, as I'm sure you'd feel the same in my position, this is quite important to me!

Thanks for reading. And I hope you can help!

Thank you!

2. Notyalc
    OP

United Kingdom
    Help, anyone?

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Well, I'd first make a NAND backup. Its not hard to do:
    1. Put that SD card with the files in the Wii
    2. In the BootMii menu, press Power 3 times to choose the last thingy and press Reset to confirm
    3. The first thingy in here is NAND backup, so just press reset
    4. Make NAND backup

Do that first, then we'll handle the SD card thing

4. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    use the rest button on the wii to navigate thru boot mii there is a program in it that will back the nad up, it wont move it so your wii will still work =]

maybe u should go to biibrew and read up on the functions of bootmii as its not extremly difficult to do

the currupt msg mostlikely a glitch

5. Notyalc
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, had a couple of problems with getting Bootmii up, but I did eventually.

Got onto the backup & let it run however, I had messages of:

'Factory bad block marker' for these blocks:

184. 462.  864. 1847.    

After letting the backup data verify, the 'bad blocks' went green - back to normal (I assume)
    So does that mean that those Problems got fixed?

So, I got the backup sorted - What now?

BTW, I forgot to mention; I had updated the Nintendo Channel (not a system update) through shop channel (I updated that a while ago to get the BBC iPlayer channel [UK only channel])

Don't think that'd effect anything? I'm still on 4.1 but with 4.2 shop channel.

Thanks for the help so far! I really appreciate it!

You think I'm safe to use my Wii now?
    I'd thinkin' I'd just delete 'Max ' W'ware & then that strange channel thing.

I had noticed that on the SD Card Menu, when hovering over the Max w'ware, the bubble thing seems to have the word Max slightly to the left...& this is a channel not at the channel edges.

I await your replies before I do anything. (I'll leave my Wii alone 'till then.)

Thanks so far!

6. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Bad blocks are nothing to worry about, every wii has them

anyway, since you have a NAND backup now, you can delete that channel thingy
    If it does something bad, you can restore the backup [​IMG]

edit: also, I don't think you need to have the Nintendo channel to get the iPlayer one (could be wrong though)

7. Notyalc
    OP

United Kingdom
    Right. I'll go delete that stuff. Ta' very much!

Feel a lotta' relief knowing those blocks're no problem.

And (don't know if I mistyped it) I needed an update to the Wii Shop Channel to get BBC iPlayer, not the Nin' channel. I only updated that as a went on to it & if told me it was due an update. Funny how I hadn't used it in ages!

8. Notyalc
    OP

United Kingdom
    After checking the Wii this morning, the 'SD Card Menu Max' thing's disappeared from the system memory (i checked channels & save data)

i deleted the Max W'ware off my SD to be safe.

And all is well in terms of general functions.

Out of curiosity, is there something about MicroSDHC cards which're not always responsive with some homebrew?
    I got my 8gb MicroSD in an adapter & it usually just won't work with things like WiiXplorer or WADManager...
    It's fine with things like the SD Card Menu & The HBC though.

I noticed it doesn't work with Excite Truck's feature of playing MP3s - though that may be because they're in a folder (labelled simply 'Music'). Could this be the same problem? Or because it's SDHC (seeing as Ex'Truck was made prior to the SDHC support on Wii)?

So any thoughts on this people?

Because it's a MicroSD have any effect? There's isn't any changes when I use any different MicroSD - SD Adapters...

I'm reckoning SDHC.