SD card troubles.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Saturnplanet5, Sep 18, 2006.

Sep 18, 2006

SD card troubles. by Saturnplanet5 at 3:57 AM (618 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Saturnplanet5
    OP

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I bought a 1G SD card a while back (3-4 weeks ago) and when I got it home I formatted it to FAT file system. I checked the properties and there was 998 MB left on the card. Over time from adding and subtracting files a whopping 32 MB of space has disappeared and I can't get it back even if I reformat it again. Does anyone know why this space has disappeared and is there anyway I can get it back? Is it just bad sectors or something similar? Should I take it back to the store I got it from or is losing space just one of the quirks of this kind of media?

2. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    run chkdsk or scandisk on the card to see if there is any problems with the structural integrity of the sd card.

say your card reader is drive q:

go to command prompt and type:

"chkdsk q: /f"

sounds fishy that you had 998 to start with....normally 32mb missing sounds about right I think.....might want to validate the authenticity of the manufacturer of the sd card as well.

3. Saturnplanet5
    OP

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Thanks. I ran chkdsk with the parameters for my reader, everything seemed ok. No errors were reported. If 32 MB sounds about right then I'll just have to live with it I guess. It's a 1GB Unity Digital High Speed card so I think it's authentic. Thanks again.