Hacking SD card suddenly slow

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My 3DS's sd card seems to have slowed down lately. I started noticing it when i was playing a GBA game on Rxtools, that it sometimes took a while to load stuff. I then went to Gateway, and tried a game (.3ds, Save is on SD card) and the save took a long time to load (Tried Kingdom hearts DDD, and the heart spinned about 11 times before the game finally loaded)

I never had trouble with the SD card.

(I use 2 SD cards, 1 with the saves,gateway etc, and the other for movies, clips etc.)

anyone know what could be wrong, and how to fix it? the card is not full, as it has like 16000 blocks free. (4GB card)

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
Bump!

- use a class10 quality SD (Sandisk/Patriot/Samsung), 16GB class10 is relative cheap anyway.

Really which 3ds does class 10 in its support, where is the weakest link in the chain?

Have you personally tried a comparison between your original card and a class 10?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most of your memory card issues will come with mounting and ejection on the pc side. The sd reader plays a significant role in later windows. xp or unix, i suggest.

nolife1123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Really which 3ds does class 10 in its support, where is the weakest link in the chain?

Have you personally tried a comparison between your original card and a class 10?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most of your memory card issues will come with mounting and ejection on the pc side. The sd reader plays a significant role in later windows. xp or unix, i suggest.
I have for my sky3ds, switched from a kingston class 4 16gb to the sandisk ultra 32gb class 10 (40mb/s speeds), the loading times between games reduced from 6-10 secs (deps on size) to 2-4 secs.
Additionally, it stopped the crashing problems on pokemon X from being very frequent to being nonexistant.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
It's about his SD in his 3DS.
Well i use a 32GB Class10 Sandisk in it and compared to before 16GB Class 4, it loads the home menu faster with 20 installed CIA's then the 16GB one with lesser games on it
But i'm not gonna argue, my experience is, it feels faster compared between the 2, and don't ask me why, cause i know the 3DS does not come with Class10 read support, but it seems to get the max out of a class10 anyway.
I leave that to the techies here :P

But i don't have to defend my post about using a class10 SD,
I was just saying Class10 is relative cheap today, so why not use a class10 and use one of a well known brand then.

Reactions: TerryG

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if i format my sd, would i lose emunand? or just remove what i can, format, put things back?
Again, extract your emunand with emunand tool before formatting...

Here's what you should do if you want to try with the same SD:
1: copy SD contents to folder on computer
2: Backup emuand with emunand tool to computer.
3: put gateway launcher on SD
4: run the gateway launcher, and select format emunand.. This will format the SD completely, and create the emunand partition again
5: inject the emunand backup we made earlier using emunand tool
6: move the contents of the backup folder to the root of the SD card...

That's pretty much it...

If you're worried about fucking up horribly though.. you can make a full backup of your SD with win32diskimager, So that way you'll have a backup of the whole SD card contents

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im also using RxTools, but thats just a matter of putting it back on the SD, after i re installed EmuNAND, right? And CIA"s will be kept right? (E-Store things and GBA Virtual Console games)

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im also using RxTools, but thats just a matter of putting it back on the SD, after i re installed EmuNAND, right?
I mean, if you're copying the whole contents of your SD card.. it will be baked up with everything..
Idk if you're talking about the rxtools.dat launcher or the emunand..

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I mean, if you're copying the whole contents of your SD card.. it will be baked up with everything..
Idk if you're talking about the rxtools.dat launcher or the emunand..
I just want to format the thing, without losing anything. So when i backed up emunand (Gateway, i suppose) and backed up all my files, and reformat emunand (Do i format the SD on my PC too?) and put everything back that i still hav everything and not having to install things again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just want to format the thing, without losing anything. So when i backed up emunand (Gateway, i suppose) and backed up all my files, and reformat emunand (Do i format the SD on my PC too?) and put everything back that i still hav everything and not having to install things again.
It shouldn't matter if you format the SD card on your PC first, since reformatting emuNAND will format the SD card anyway, but it won't hurt to do so anyway.
Afterwards, just restore the emuNAND backup and copy the files back on.
However, it won't solve fragmentation on the emuNAND partition (this should be minimal anyway)

Dotmore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It shouldn't matter if you format the SD card on your PC first, since reformatting emuNAND will format the SD card anyway, but it won't hurt to do so anyway.
Afterwards, just restore the emuNAND backup and copy the files back on.
However, it won't solve fragmentation on the emuNAND partition (this should be minimal anyway)

So what would be the benefit of doing it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You could probably run duals in this Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 AMD Ryzen 5000 ATX Motherboard... +1