Hardware SD card mobo pins broken, possible easy/temp fix?

Prb

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dude I do reflow's
But unfortunately I'm in the uk
I've done all sorts of consoles going back to the original ps1 chips all the way upto reballing xbox 360
What you need is some good quality rosin flux
Don't use liquid flux it's like water
If you can get your hands on a rework station
Ir is best but hot air will do
Get some heat resistant tape and protect the rest of the motherboard
If your only using a soldering iron a flat egde will be better as you need to heat up as many pins as you can if you try and do them one at a time you will end up pulling a pad from your motherboard and that's game over
It's also a good idea to warm the whole motherboard up as it helps to remove the socket and activates the flux and stops any heat shock to the rest of the motherboard cool setting on a hair dryer if your not using a rework station and cool the motherboard back down slowly when you finish soldering

Reactions: Newhouse-Estates

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dude I do reflow's
But unfortunately I'm in the uk
I've done all sorts of consoles going back to the original ps1 chips all the way upto reballing xbox 360
What you need is some good quality rosin flux
Don't use liquid flux it's like water
If you can get your hands on a rework station
Ir is best but hot air will do
Get some heat resistant tape and protect the rest of the motherboard
If your only using a soldering iron a flat egde will be better as you need to heat up as many pins as you can if you try and do them one at a time you will end up pulling a pad from your motherboard and that's game over
It's also a good idea to warm the whole motherboard up as it helps to remove the socket and activates the flux and stops any heat shock to the rest of the motherboard cool setting on a hair dryer if your not using a rework station and cool the motherboard back down slowly when you finish soldering
That's some resume you've got there! I'm trained in PC hardware but that stuff is mostly much bigger nd easier to see.
For future reference and personal fixes where would be the best flux and heat gun and what types/brands?

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Okay thanks for your help! it was worth a shot lol.
But yeah il just have to pay someone to fix it, already have a new connector in shipment.
Yeah don't do that. Slightly off topic but this is how Thomleg bricked his Lite, it is Thomleg but still. Better off paying someone imo.

Prb

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's some resume you've got there! I'm trained in PC hardware but that stuff is mostly much bigger nd easier to see.
For future reference and personal fixes where would be the best flux and heat gun and what types/brands?
No heat guns
They are only good for two things stripping paint and killing electronics
Just use Ebay or Amazon for flux

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just an update on the job buddy did, Works great but how does it look to you guys?
Please excuse the double post.
161252874_236147344894928_8188026168778107144_n (1).jpg
161252874_236147344894928_8188026168778107144_n (1).jpg
20210317_151255.jpg

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Looks great, nice that you finally solved it. The repair man almost fried that plastic conector tho lol.

Also check if your switch overheats because to do that work you have to take out the metal heatspreader so you might want to replace the thermal paste cause your cooling might me sucking right now.

Last edited by Waicol,
Reactions: mitcha

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks great, nice that you finally solved it. The repair man almost fried that plastic conector tho lol.

Also check if your switch overheats because to do that work you have to take out the metal heatspreader so you might want to replace the thermal paste cause your cooling might me sucking right now.
Yeah i noticed that in that melted part, everything seems to be working fine tho but thanks for the info, what kind of paste should i use on the switch? Recently picked up some "G3P5 Paste GD900 Com U5C4" from ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr