Gaming SD and SDHC cards: Format as FAT or FAT32?

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read elsewhere that users have conducted experiments in which they copied identical files using the same SD cards using different formats (FAT or FAT32). One person reported that files copy faster using the FAT format.

My question is: For the purposes of the Wii, is it better to format a card using FAT or FAT32?

My apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. I searched on Google and didn't see anything right off, but I may have overlooked something.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
you must understand that fat32 is a type of fat and "not all fat" is fat32. but all fat32 is fat. fat (file allocation table) comes in three types which are the following: fat12; fat16; and FAT32. the numbers after the fatXX are the number of bits used in their addressing scheme. the higher the number of bits means higher addresses, and therefore larger drives could be addressed and accessed. only this i know but i do not know the speed difference. most probably some say the lower fat format is much faster because eventually, maybe, the machine load is minimal which reads a small number of bits or small capacity only.

sYndrome13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input, everyone.

I've decided to go with FAT for my 2GB card and FAT32 for my 8GB SDHC Class 6 card (which I've put back in the package and on a shelf, since it isn't compatible with BootMii).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn