GCN SD Adapter Works With Wii but not Gamecube?

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason, the SD Adapter I got to use with my Gamecube simply is not recognized by it....yet my Wii can detect it just fine. I opened it up and saw nothing wrong, and even after making it fit better together, it just refuses to read. Anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I've tried both slots and there's simply nothing.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you using an SD Gecko/WiiSD, or do you have an SD Media Launcher from Codejunkies? Also, what is the size of your SD card?

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a WiiSD I got from ebay. The build quality is cheap, but it is recognized by the Wii when using a standard 2GB SD card. I was able to read files from it using WiiXplorer, and the Wii detects it as an incompatible device from the menu. The Gamecube doesn't detect it at all, and even when loading into Swiss with the Wind Waker hack--the files copied into through GCMM on the Wii--it still doesn't detect it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This is a WiiSD I got from ebay. The build quality is cheap, but it is recognized by the Wii when using a standard 2GB SD card. I was able to read files from it using WiiXplorer, and the Wii detects it as an incompatible device from the menu. The Gamecube doesn't detect it at all, and even when loading into Swiss with the Wind Waker hack--the files copied into through GCMM on the Wii--it still doesn't detect it.

What if you use the GC Bc on the Wii?

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could try using Nintendont's ability to boot into the Gamecube IPL and see if it is able to detect the device. It's not like it can be used with any actual games through the native backwards compatibility.

With that said, what would be the point? I don't want the adapter for the Wii, I want it for the Gamecube. It's really awkward to load some applications with just the SD2SP2, and until I can be bothered to try and rewrite code to make other applications work through that, I have to make this work.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The DOL-019 and its 3rd party clones are passive devices, just like a mini/microSD to full size adapter - so if you have already excluded incompatibilities between software and the SD itself (have you, actually? try another one!) that leaves a loose or broken memory card socket on the GC...

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both slots work fine with my memory cards...is there some pin used on the SD adapter that isn't used on memory cards? I would try using another Gamecube, but I only have the one at the moment. Still, the slots between the Wii and Gamecube are virtually the same, so there shouldn't be a difference.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
is there some pin used on the SD adapter that isn't used on memory cards?
No, just checked, both use the full EXI SPI bus

(and to answer an earlier question: the bios does not support SD cards so it will only tell you if pins 1 and 10 of the adapter itself are connected, by saying unsupported accessory)

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube doesn't even detect anything in the slot when the adapter is plugged in. Ugh...what an odd issue to have. How could something like this only work on the Wii but not the Gamecube? Especially since both slots work for memory cards?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I could try using Nintendont's ability to boot into the Gamecube IPL and see if it is able to detect the device. It's not like it can be used with any actual games through the native backwards compatibility.

With that said, what would be the point? I don't want the adapter for the Wii, I want it for the Gamecube. It's really awkward to load some applications with just the SD2SP2, and until I can be bothered to try and rewrite code to make other applications work through that, I have to make this work.

It was about isolating whether it’s a software or hardware issue.

If it works on the Wii via MIOS/GC mode then it may be something related to this adapter on a GC or an issue with the GC itself.

Alternatively, I’d try a different SD card or launch method.

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm away from home at the moment, so I won't be able to do that test yet. If it does work on the Wii in that mode, then something's wrong with the cube. If it doesn't work there, then the software itself, for whatever reason, cannot interpret it. So far I'm thinking it's the former, as it is still able to be detected by the Wii menu and Wii homebrew.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm away from home at the moment, so I won't be able to do that test yet. If it does work on the Wii in that mode, then something's wrong with the cube. If it doesn't work there, then the software itself, for whatever reason, cannot interpret it. So far I'm thinking it's the former, as it is still able to be detected by the Wii menu and Wii homebrew.

If it is the GC, you could look at the adapter which uses one of the expansion ports.

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is the GC, you could look at the adapter which uses one of the expansion ports.
If you're talking about the SD2SP2, I'm already using that and it works quite well. It works with playing NES, SNES and GBA games, along with loading Gamecube games. But I won't be able to use the N64 or Genesis emulators without rewriting the code since they only use the SD Adapter. And I'd like to use those!

Good suggestion, though.

Cheap 3rd party stuff is not necessarily made to the correct tolerances - it may be that the SD Gecko is too thin to press against the pins of your worn Gamecube's socket

It's possible...the case itself fits rather tight into it, but maybe the pins on the GC side need to be be thickened somehow...or maybe the adapter's to avoid irreparably damaging the system. Is there any way to do that, if that is the problem?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The usual trick with DS flashcards was to disassemble them and put 1-2 layers of common printer paper between the shell and the opposite side of the pins, long term reliability is what it is (the slot will wear out sooner or later anyway)

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The usual trick with DS flashcards was to disassemble them and put 1-2 layers of common printer paper between the shell and the opposite side of the pins, long term reliability is what it is (the slot will wear out sooner or later anyway)

It wouldn't be hard to do that considering this is just a cheap third party adapter, as said before. I'll give that a shot.

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, after some testing, I've determined that it is a fault on the Gamecube end. I put in six layers of paper and got it to be recognized, but both Swiss and GCMM fail to mount it. The SD card is standard and formatted in regular FAT, so I'm not sure what's going wrong here.

EDIT: Yeah, I made sure to reformat it after having issues, and it still doesn't boot. Have no idea what's going wrong this time. I can read files from it still from WiiXplorer on the Wii, so I don't think it's damaged at all. It still must be something on the Gamecube end...somehow. Weird.

Last edited by RemnantKnight56,
Reactions: Ryccardo

RemnantKnight56

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
? Not64 supports the SD2SP2 and even the GC Loader.

I later found that and even the beta version of GCMM that has SD2SP2 support. Thanks for suggesting though.

Looking now, the only app that I would like to use that doesn't seem to have support for the SD2SP2 is GenplusGX. I'll look into that some more to see if that's actually the case. Hopefully so; I don't want to rely on an SD adapter if I can help it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk