wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
homebrew.gif
ScummVMDS v13.1 Slot-2 RAM
Update
scummvmds_ref.png

For a long time AgentQ held his ground when speaking about slot2 RAM expansion support. The FAQ states that "the extra RAM has certain differences to the build in RAM which makes it difficult to use for general programs. As ScummVM DS is an official port, the changes to the ScummVM code base must be minimal to avoid making the code difficult to read for other users." Thankfully, times have changed, as this new build of ScummVMDS 13.1 Slot-2 RAM offers support for Full Throttle and The Dig. This build is in an experimental stage, and bugs may appear. AgentQ asks for all bug reports to go on the official ScummVM Forum thread, which is linked below.

Slot-2 RAM Support said:
- Supercard
- M3
- Opera Browser Expansion Pack (untested)
- G6 (untested)
- EZ Flash

Full Throttle runs perfectly, with very little slowdown.
The Dig has some slowdown. It's also probably not completable - see the 'issues' list below.

If you have a slot-1 card (one that fits in your DS slot, like an R4DS or an M3DS Real), you can load the data files from that, and use the RAM in slot-2 (GBA slot). Also, if you have a slot-2 card with an SD slot, you can load the files from the slot and use the RAM both in slot-2. To do this, just patch the ScummVM binary with the DLDI as normal, and then when the game starts, on the RAM device menu, choose the same device.

When you first start this build of ScummVM DS, you will need to select the type of RAM pack you have. This setting will be saved, and you won't be asked again unless you start ScummVM DS without the RAM pack, or with a different type of RAM pack inserted.

There are also some new features to go with this:
- High quality stereo sound support: so you can listen to the fantastic soundtracks to both of these games! (the high quality audio checkbox in the options is greyed out, as the new mode is used all the time)
- Brightness adjustment: This lets you brighten the game (using a gamma correction technique) to more easily see the dark graphics in The Dig on the original DS screen. Press select and click on the 'Graphics' tab, then adjust the brightness bar at the bottom with your stylus.

Issues:
- Unfortunately, one particular room in The Dig causes a crash, because not enough assets in this section will run from slot-2 RAM. This is the tall room with the power source at the bottom. It's probably impossible to complete the game because of this. Also, I'm not sure the technique I'm using in slot-2 RAM will allow me to overcome the problems with this section, so this section may never work properly.
- The Supercard I have fails to start up sometimes. I'm not sure whether this is a general issue with Supercards, or just the one I have.
- Some DLDI drivers don't work when a device is used both as RAM and for disk access at the same time. I had problems with my M3 lite, and narrowed it down to the use of DMA. If the driver uses DMA, it won't work with this build. I've prepared a new version of the m3sd_alt driver I was using which doesn't use DMA. You need to use this DLDI to avoid random crashes if you're using an M3 Lite.

You can download it here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/m3sd_alt_v2.dldi (Source: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/m3sd_v2.zip)

download.gif
Download *
*A 3rd BETA build has been released which fixes issues when using the M3 Lite as a RAM pack, please update using the link above
icon11.gif
Report Bugs Here
icon11.gif
Source
discuss.png
Discuss

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the new release just offers a "J" build which only supports those two games. no one build of scummvmds ever supported every game.

QUOTE said:
Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2
Waxworks (Amiga version only)

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars
The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble
Lost in Time

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
Kyrandia 1 - 3

Build G:
Lure of the Temptress

Build H:
Nippon Safes

Build J:
Full Throttle
The Dig

-another world

D

Deleted User

I can't believe it took this many years for them to add Slot-2 RAM support.

MrSamsa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Full Throttle works with R4 SDHC and G6 Lite. During the credits the music got a bit garbled once, but otherwise it works great.

Very pleased.

Very nice work.

D

Deleted User

now if only they had monkey island 3 working that would be ace!
still not sure why they have to have the differnt builds. it makes things very confusing... shame they cant have the menu as a single file which boots up the game in the specific build to make things easier for the user.

have they updated the menu on this yet or are they still using the horrible dos theme?
scummvm has to be my fave homebrew app

mortys

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone
I'm not affiliate to the ScummVM Ds team (wich is only agentq) but I'm very surprise by some commentaries.
It's a great achievement for all of us, and everybody should thaks agentQ for his work. If some of you are skilled enough to code, so do it. Otherwise, just thanks the authors and shut your mouth.
Personnaly, I'm very happy to play those 2 games and even if they're many build for the diffrent games (that use diffrent engines)/

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
trevsweb said:
still not sure why they have to have the differnt builds. it makes things very confusing...
have they updated the menu on this yet or are they still using the horrible dos theme?

different games require the scummvm port to be tweaked differently to run on the nds. the solution was to make builds that ran a "set" of games which require the same basic tweaks. the menu is the default DOS like skin, this is because of the limited amount of RAM on the nds. there is a transparency to it now, which i found new in v13. that or i wasn't paying attention before.

-another world

B

ball2012003

trevsweb said:
now if only they had monkey island 3 working that would be ace
I wish they had it working too
but full throttle being able to be played is good enough for me
im like 1/4 done already on the ds hope i could beat it on here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users