Scuf Gaming announces the first third-party PlayStation 5 controller

s.png

When it comes to alternatives to the PlayStation 5's DualSense controller, there haven't been any. Now, that's changing, as Scuf Gaming has revealed the first third-party PS5 gamepad. Corsair's subsidiary brand has three different variants available--the Reflex, Reflex Pro, and FPS--offering programmable rear paddles, "improved thumbstick design" and extra thumbsticks, anti-friction rings, low actuation triggers (for the FPS model), or just compatibility with the PS5's adaptive triggers (Reflex models). These controllers pack a premium price, much like the Xbox Elite Controller, starting at $199.99 for the Reflex, $229.99 for the Reflex Pro, and a whopping $259.99 for the FPS.

The first wave of controllers have already sold out, though Scuf promises more in the near future, along with faceplates, customizable thumbstick placement, and different color patterns. The Reflex Pro has already launched, while the other two models will be releasing in 2022.

● Four rear, remappable paddles that can be configured to 12 functions
● Profile Switch allows you to save three remapping configurations for different games
● Adaptive triggers, from the PS5 DualSense™ controller, changes force and tension to improve in-game immersion (Reflex and Reflex Pro only)
● High-performance grip for advanced comfort and endurance (Reflex Pro and Reflex FPS only)
● Instant triggers and bumpers alleviate pull distance for faster activations (Reflex FPS Only)
● Wireless connectivity to play comfortably from a distance
● Improved thumbstick design and material for more grip and durability
● Interchangeable thumbstick options, including long, short, domed, and conclave, for optimized fit
● Removable faceplate trim to swap colors and thumbsticks easier
● Anti-friction rings for smoother, more controlled thumbstick movement
● Mute your headset at the tap of a button
● Built-in rechargeable battery, charged via USB Type-C

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

mr allen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I can totally understand purchasing genre-specific peripherals like arcade sticks or racing wheels, but it's a lot harder to justify paying a premium for something so closely resembling and mimicking the stock controller. Granted the hair trigger does seem like the one potentially useful addition here, so it figures they'd charge an extra $50 for that alone.
I own an Xbox Elite controller and I'm happy with what I paid for it. The thing with high end gaming controllers is that it isn't just the paddles and hair triggers that make high end gaming controllers so nice. The buttons will feel much nicer and are built to take a ton of abuse, the analog sticks have much better tension in them (still prone to the same wear as normal controllers though), and they tend to have rubber grips that make them so much nicer to hold. They do seem to be overpriced but their is a very night and day difference between vanilla controllers and the high end stuff. That being said I personally wouldnt buy these scufs, I despise the shape of DualSense controllers and just want them to make a DS4 shaped controller for PS5.

Also, I don't get why Scuf needs to point out that theres a mute button. The button is on the vanilla controllers too.

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Someone needs to make a DS4 shaped PS5-native controller.

I don't know what it is but the dualsense just doesn't sit right with me.
I have to say, I had the opposite experience. DualShock controllers have been consistently improving each generation for me, perhaps because I have hands like loaves of bread. The DualSense is easily one of my favourite pads now.
Oh I can totally understand purchasing genre-specific peripherals like arcade sticks or racing wheels, but it's a lot harder to justify paying a premium for something so closely resembling and mimicking the stock controller. Granted the hair trigger does seem like the one potentially useful addition here, so it figures they'd charge an extra $50 for that alone.
Premium features come with a premium price - Nintendo is charging people a tidy hundred buckaroos for an extra 0.5 inches of screen in OLED and whole 32GB extra storage, what’d you expect? :P

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
People fail to realize they source official Sony/MS controllers for their builds.

With that said, if you buy a Scuf, I feel for you. They have some of the worst QC ever seen in a third party. Their controllers are practically guaranteed to fail sooner than later.

Last edited by Kioku,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Sony will absolutely ban this in the next system update. Just like sony banned a bunch of disability adapted controllers on the ps3 via system updates.
thats discriminatory actuallly saying the physically disabled cant play Imean MS is going the other direction and are making first party adaptive controllers then again i've heard how the japanese treat the disabled like their stuck in the 60's US model (institutionzation) and now that i know this perhaps i can use it as ammoto sue sony and help expand the ADA

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats discriminatory actuallly saying the physically disabled cant play Imean MS is going the other direction and are making first party adaptive controllers then again i've heard how the japanese treat the disabled like their stuck in the 60's US model (institutionzation) and now that i know this perhaps i can use it as ammoto sue sony and help expand the ADA
The ADA gave them shit when one of the ps3 updates ended up banning a big swath of controllers, including one licensed mad catz controller. Sony's excuse was that people often used that controller to make hack controllers for turbo features where they didn't need to be. But that same controller was instrumental for making modified controllers so those less than able bodied could still play the games at all. And of course Sony won't make its own.

It also famously blocked the X-Arcade support, forcing the release of a new dongle. I dunno about you, but even if the replacement adapter is cheap, paying $400+ for an arcade stick to have it blocked in a system update would have me apocalyptic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol