'Scribblenauts' creator Warner Brothers sued for Nyan Cat, Keyboard Cat easter eggs

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Writers for sketch shows normally have to come up with more then one sketch in their lives to get paid more than once.

Save for the rights they get for the DVD release, or might not if they are working for a given corporation, or might do for the stage show recreation but not the DVD, or might do if the show enters syndication, or might do if the show gets broadcast internationally, or might do if the show gets broadcast online.
Thus we end up in a world where IP law is complex.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what stupid fucking morons. I kind of want to start selling physical copies of these retarded memes and see them try and sue me.
"I don't think much of it, so they shouldn't be able to protect their IP"?

You know, I don't think much of the show LOST, so should they be unable to take people to court for distributing bootleg DVDs?

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/
Ah yes wonderful, archaic copyright law.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
what stupid fucking morons. I kind of want to start selling physical copies of these retarded memes and see them try and sue me.

Ah yes wonderful, archaic copyright law.
Not saying I agree with current copyright law (I don't, as people here know)... but they certainly do have a basis to sue under both the rules and the idea behind it.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Xuphor

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That they are. The idea behind them, though (that whoever makes something should by default be the only one with a right to legally profit by selling the work) is the same, and it is a valid idea, and it does apply in this situation.
Yes, but I hope they implement some sort of limitation to people that are clearly just sueing someone else because they are greedy fucking assholes, and no other reason. You know as well as I do that the people doing to sueing in this case don't give two shits about the memes in reality, they just see a major cash opportunity, and take it. If they truly cared about their memes, then why did they wait this damn long to sue?

If some sort of limitation like that isn't implemented, heck, I could find a shady lawyer, copyright the way I sit at my computer as a "back relaxing and healthy way of sitting", then sue every person I find on YouTube that uses ad revenues that sits in my position.

Sounds rediculous, but it's about as rediculous as this meme case. It's completely stupid, clearly just a money grab, but still technically would be a valid case.

EDIT: Removed major redundancy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You know as well as I do that the people doing to sueing in this case don't give two shits about the memes in reality, they just see a major cash opportunity, and take it.
I know you'd LIKE it to be that way in order to justify your hate, but that's not how it is.

I mean you read yourself that these guys actually hired somebody to help them promote and junk beforehand, and they've done other things before, like buying nyan.cat so that they control the site if somebody of somebody else who put it up without permission.

If they truly cared about their memes, then why did they wait this damn long to sue?
Likely they didn't know about it for a while, like most people.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
>Make meme thats been dead for a long ass time
"long-ass time"?
Conversation with tehjahn at 4/13/2011 1:08:55 AM on rydianmorrison (aim)
(1:08:56 AM) rydianmorrison: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6474824/flying-rainbow-pop-tart-cat
(1:09:50 AM) tehjahn: .... I love it. o3o
And the youtube video was uploaded just a few days before I sent the link out to people.

So two years. And Scribblenauts did not just come out last week.

... ???

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't see what's the problem here. The owner of Nyan Cat do allow it to be used for non-commercial motifs. Scribblenauts is a commercial product and doesn't fall in this category. This is not about if the game is famous or not because of Nyan Cat, it's about that if you want to use copyrighted material in your product you must sign a contract first.
The same way the Scribblenauts owner can't use Warner Bros. characters, the opposite is also true.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian's defending this so much, I swear he was promised to receive a cut of the money if they win or something....:unsure:
If somebody made a game and included Mickey Mouse without permission from Disney and then published the game on multiple platforms, and Disney later found out and sued them... I'm willing to bet people's responses would probably be "they're dumbasses for thinking they can get away with it" or something, right?

But nope, if the subject in question is something you don't personally like, fuck their legal rights.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"long-ass time"?
And the youtube video was uploaded just a few days before I sent the link out to people.

So two years. And Scribblenauts did not just come out last week.

... ???

In meme time that's old as hell. These things are made and die like crazy, the good ones make 6 or 7 months, maybe a year if they are the more "legendary" ones. Other then that they either break down to the point they are used out of context or wrong (it happens way too often here on the Temp >_>), or people in general are just tired of it, there are some like reactions which usually last forever like "Umad bro?" (which is also used wrong) and a few others. Nyan Cat wasn't even all that good, other then the nice sprite work I have no idea how it gained the ground it did.

Memes are made to be a fun little thing that spreads around for a bit, then die off peacefully, not milked to make a living off of. If anything, all this lawsuit proves is that these kinds of things should be left to the annons where they go through their cycle with minimal resistance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: