Gaming Screwed up fixing DS lite, could use advice

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should note that I have very little experience with electronics, and while I'm not a complete idiot (i think, anyway) there's some stuff I just don't know about.

Anyway, I was trying to replace the touch screen in my NDS and then replace the shell. I replaced the screen well enough and ended up with the following:

-LCD screen at the very bottom
-Round rubber buffer from old touchscreen restuck on top of old LCD screen
-On top of the rubber buffer sits the new touchscreen, with it's four pin (is that what those little lines in the ribbon are called?) ribbon coming out from the top *right.

The little hinge connecting the four-pin ribbon to the bit on the motherboard broke off, is there any way to glue it down?

Apparently it's possible that setting up the touchscreen wrong can short circuit, or somehow screw up, the entire NDS. Along with breaking the four-pin ribbon cover, I've also tried turning on the NDS and the green light flashes on, gets brighter for a second, then turns off, Neither of the screens display anything during that period. Aside from the four-pin ribbon, which i can't tell if it needs the little cover to hold it down, all the ribbons are connected and nothing's loose.

From what I can research I probably either A) blew a fuse (f1 or f2) or B) Screwed up putting the touchscreen back together, or both. I'm pretty positive nothing else on the NDS motherboard broke.

So, if anyone can make sense out of this conundrum I created for myself, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong board. First time posting here :P

*edit: the ribbon comes out of the top RIGHT of the touch screen, not top left.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you've kinda hit the nail on the head you've either blown the f1 or f2 fuse or you havent connected everything properly.

If I were you I would strip it again and rebuild if that still doesnt work then it would more than likely be the fuses.

Sorry cant help more than that

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever I replace the shell on my DS lite, (changed 3 times, DS lite from 2006 looks shiny new in its latest shell) I occasionally don't get the display and then I have to adjust the bottom screen or top screen ribbon on the motherboard. Sometimes the ribbons do not sit properly and the lock is engaged. I get the same symptoms but playing with the ribbon a couple of times and making sure that they are all the way IN makes it work.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do need that little tab for the ZIF cable, but it broke off... I can never, for the life of me, remember where I saw the thread here, but it was suggested (with varying levels of success) to fold a small bit of paper (probably only in half once) and wedge it on the TOP of that ribbon, just do apply some downforce on the contacts so they definitely touch.

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I replace the shell on my DS lite, (changed 3 times, DS lite from 2006 looks shiny new in its latest shell) I occasionally don't get the display and then I have to adjust the bottom screen or top screen ribbon on the motherboard. Sometimes the ribbons do not sit properly and the lock is engaged. I get the same symptoms but playing with the ribbon a couple of times and making sure that they are all the way IN makes it work.
I'm pretty sure all the ribbons are connected, but I don't know if the top one NEEDS the little black cover to properly work, or if it just holds the ribbon from slipping. I had it glued down with rubber cement, didn't work. Pretty sure nothing's damaged though, but yeah something could have.

You do need that little tab for the ZIF cable, but it broke off... I can never, for the life of me, remember where I saw the thread here, but it was suggested (with varying levels of success) to fold a small bit of paper (probably only in half once) and wedge it on the TOP of that ribbon, just do apply some downforce on the contacts so they definitely touch.
I'll give that a shot, thanks!

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still not working, so I'm going to guess I blew one of the fuses. I can just replace the fuses with solder, right? Is it going to be harmful to the circuitry?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still not working, so I'm going to guess I blew one of the fuses. I can just replace the fuses with solder, right? Is it going to be harmful to the circuitry?
If there is a problem causing a short and not fixed or another problem there will be no fuses to blow, and that can cause damage to other circuitry.

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is a problem causing a short and not fixed or another problem there will be no fuses to blow, and that can cause damage to other circuitry.
Yeah, if you just put a blob of solder there.

You can also solder a little piece of wire to the two ends which would be a little safer.

mindlikeachild

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My soldering iron definitely isn't delicate enough (nor am I) to replace a fuse; i think bridging it with a wire is the best I can do. Thanks for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans