Gaming Screen Swap? (See touch screen on top screen, vise versa)

TyGauthier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So I have a R4DS with Wood 1.18 installed. I love to play Animal Crossing Wild World on it lately, but I wanted to ask something. Is there a way to swap the top and bottom screen while playing? I know that the top screen shows the sky in this game, but it's not really important. Is there any way whatsoever to play this game on the top screen? (Custom Homebrew for screen swapping, etc.) Let me know if this is possible. I've already Googled for an answer and whatnot. So I thought I'd ask you guys.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Not 100% sure, but I don't think so. Why do you ask? I've had a DS with a broken screen before, but it was the top screen, which luckily isn't needed too much on AC:WW. (I did look for stuff like that though so I could play NSMB and found nothing)

TyGauthier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Just a personal preference. I personally like looking at the top screen better than looking at the touch screen. (Like Pokemon games, Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros., and plenty of other games)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since I have actually built my own DS from scrap parts, I can safely say I don't even remotely think it's close to even being possible. Both the screens are set up differently and it would require a lot of work to even make it look feasible. I am sure there is a possibility of someone trying it, but I doubt it worked.

Also Wood 1.18? Dude we are at l.45

TyGauthier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You...might be able to switch the screens if you did a case mod and switch the positions. Otherwise, not possible.

Yeah, I was looking for a temporary switch. Not a hard mod. So nothing like this exists huh? I'm honestly really surprised that no one out there is like me.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no hardware nor software that can switch the screens.

Mkay, thanks for letting me know. I wish there was, but I guess it couldn't happen. Would it be possible to mod the ROM itself to do such a thing or no?
If you had the source code, but you don't. So probably not.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Back to case mods..
That'd be hardware, wouldn't it?

Indeed. The top screen and bottom screen are both set up differently and it would require moving ribbon cables and taking everything apart to even sound feasible. After there there would be a very slim chance of it working. That's just my option, I never actually tried, but since I have a DS opened up right now and I am looking at the parts, I can tell you it would be a lot of work to swap the screens.

TyGauthier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Well I wouldn't want to do that. It's sounds ridiculous just to play a game. Then I'd have to switch it back just to play any other game.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well I wouldn't want to do that. It's sounds ridiculous just to play a game. Then I'd have to switch it back just to play any other game.
Yeah, you see the problem there? I suggest just sucking it up and dealing with the games the way they are now.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back to case mods..

Indeed. The top screen and bottom screen are both set up differently and it would require moving ribbon cables and taking everything apart to even sound feasible. After there there would be a very slim chance of it working. That's just my option, I never actually tried, but since I have a DS opened up right now and I am looking at the parts, I can tell you it would be a lot of work to swap the screens.
I've messed with it a bit and if you had the right ribbon cables I really don't think it would be too hard, if you don't want the touchscreen..
Actually, changing the video feed shouldn't affect the touch controls at all, so it would still work fine, I think.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Back to case mods..

I've messed with it a bit and if you had the right ribbon cables I really don't think it would be too hard, if you don't want the touchscreen..
Actually, changing the video feed shouldn't affect the touch controls at all, so it would still work fine, I think.
Looking at my board, I don't think it's that easy.
Not to mention pointless for just one game. Also come to think of it, even if you did switch the screen, wouldn't the top screen (now being the touch screen) just get the same feed as a top screen and still do the same thing as the top screen? You would have to still switch that around if I am correct and make the top screen run the same feed as it would the bottom screen...this just sounds like too much work for little accomplishments.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back to case mods..

Not to mention pointless for just one game. Also come to think of it, even if you did switch the screen, wouldn't the top screen (now being the touch screen) just get the same feed as a top screen and still do the same thing as the top screen? You would have to still switch that around if I am correct and make the top screen run the same feed as it would the bottom screen...this just sounds like too much work for little accomplishments.
No, you'd just have to switch the ribbon cables around to change the video feed.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Back to case mods..

No, you'd just have to switch the ribbon cables around to change the video feed.
Still seems like too much work for little accomplishments that would then in turn have to switch back later.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually we did investigate using cheats and other simple methods to swap screens way back when for a few games (theoretically it is small enough for one cheat although in practice two would probably be necessary) as the hardware technically has the option but the fallout was if not extensive then unpleasant to have when playing (I believe it was a pokemon game but that might be the first person hacking work I am thinking of).
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#dspowermanagement has what needs doing (you want to fiddle with bit 15)
Theoretically it would be something like
DB000000 04000304 #read the register
023FE424 E0033004 #set to add mode
D4000000 00000080 #add 80 (1000 0000 binary) to the value which should flip the top bit and send engine A which does 3d to the top screen)- not sure if I have to account for endianness in cheats but that would be 00800000 instead if it is.
D8000000 04000304 #writes it back
#Any cheat makers in the audience feel free to correct that as I very likely screwed it up.
#Better yet if your cheat device supports boolean operations just OR it with 80
#If you want to go the other way you get to set bit 15 to 0 instead.

As was mentioned though this method is not ideal and can have fallout.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool