Screen adjustment using screws?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by granville, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2008
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    TAKE THE ADVICE IN THIS POST AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I don't know if it's been said before, but you can take the battery cover off a DS Lite and two of the screws below the battery adjust the two screens. The hole second from right adjusts the bottom screen. I loosened it and it made the screen go grayish in hue. Tightening it makes it normal again.

I don't know which one does the top screen. I know you're supposed to keep metal away from one of the holes or you'll short out your DS (before slot-1 cards, you did this to flash the DS). I was trying to fix a top screen issue I had posted a few weeks ago, but didn't want to tamper anymore in fear of bricking my DS. My issue was a slight flickering like old CRT monitors and vertical scanlines on certain colors.

Which screw adjusts the top screen? It's not the triangular one is it? I didn't have a triangular screwdriver so I couldn't get it to unscrew. Also, is there a danger of doing this?

2. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    think i saw in another thread that it adjusts the supplied voltage so unless you accidentily moved them i'd not touch

3. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Yeah I've read that is controls the supply of voltage, you need to be really careful when adjusting the screws. It's better to stay away..

4. pepsibluehawk87

Member pepsibluehawk87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yea, it's very dangerous to do this. So only do it when it's absolutely necessary.

5. granville
    OP

United States
    I knew it was risky due to this being one way users flash their DS. You can short out the system and brick it if you touch the wrong place with metal. Is it dangerous even if I have the battery and power cord taken out? And is there any place I can learn more about these screws and their respective functions? I found that the triangular screws only hold the DS together.

6. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You can still fry the electronics with static, I wouldn't go opening up the DS unless I was absolutely sure what each part did and what I was doing. Just stay away from the screen adjustment screws, they're a pain in the a$$ to readjust to normal. As for what each respective part in the DS might do, google?

7. granville
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the advise. I'll take every bit of it! The last thing I want to do to my DS is brick it. Actually, forget "last thing". I would never choose to brick my DS no matter what choice number it was!

8. krazykirk

Member krazykirk GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Actually, the screen adjustment screws and flashing your DS is pretty much unrelated. The SL-1 point is located next to the screws, but otherwise that's it.

9. granville
    OP

United States
    So the adjustment screws are safe? I know which parts NOT to touch. I always remove the battery, power, and cartridges from both slots.

I really couldn't find anything on Google on the screw screen adjustment.

10. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've heard this before, but never attempted it. I think if I ever needed to do this, I would sooner send it back to Nintendo to have them fix it.

11. bfoos

Member bfoos GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I see nobody in this thread has disassembled a DS lite before. The screw in question is one of two screws that secure the logic board to the case. It has nothing to do with voltage. Tightening it or loosening it would only increase or decrease pressure on that side of the board and thus, the TFT as well.

12. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I just tried it out guys. Believe me, I was afraid of bricking it. But I also know what ports to stay away from. Ok yeah so the "gold" screw, second from the bottom right adjusts the bottom screen. I loosened it up and the bottom screen turned into a staticy screen with flashes. I simply screwed it back into place. Tweaked it a little bit to make the image sharper. And it looks much better now then it used to. The bottom screen would always be darker then the top screen. So yeah. There's nothing wrong with doing the bottom screen. Does anybody know what screw does the top screen? Thanks so much for this info granville. You just made my screens more happier [​IMG]

13. granville
    OP

United States
    I'd like to know which one does the top screen as well. My top screen has weird vertical scanlines running through it and it flashes a bit like a CRT. This only happens on certain colors.

As far as I know, it's the big gold screw (the one that looks like a flat-head) you want to stay away from.

I think my top screen problem might be caused by my accidentally dropping it hard. The weird thing is that it took some months for the problem to appear. It may have been caused by my unscrewing the DS partially to remove the L button's lock so I could blow dust out (my l button wasn't working properly).

14. Brian117

United States
    Ah yeah. I wouldn't try to fix it since you dropping it, might be the problem. My top screen is just fine. I was just wondering which screw does tweak it in case something does happen to it. I'm so happy that my bottom screen is more brighter and clearer thanks to you [​IMG], thanks again.

15. granville
    OP

United States
    Sure thing! I'll work on getting a new DS Lite sometime in the future. My problem doesn't affect gameplay at all and I get used to it. This only happens on certain colors.

16. Brian117

United States
    My bottom screen has been ruined since day 1 I got it. Nintendo is assuming it's my fault when apparently it wasn't. The problem is whenever I gently tap the bottom screen. Grey fills the middle of the screen making it look like I'm pushing hard on the screen. I sent my DS in for repairs and on the slip I wrote, "Two faulty screens". Well, Nintendo only replaced the top screen. Not the bottom. So I need a new bottom screen. But I'm not going to pay $50 again when Nintendo should of fixed it then and there.

17. granville
    OP

United States
    I wonder what happened to the times when you could run over a Gameboy (the original grey brick from '89) with a lawnmower, leave it outside to be rained on and messed up and it would STILL work...

Nintendo sure did lose their sturdiness policy.

18. Brian117

United States
    I totally agree with you...But I just think since the DS is like the number one handheld device in the world. Their running out of supplies and their working much quicker. So they might not put a lot of work into the DS's (and possibly Wii's) anymore...It sucks. My first DS Lite (which dropped and broke), was the absolute best DS I had...Now I got this crappy glitchy screen DS with a loose hinge that wobbles when I tilt the DS back and forth slowly...*sigh*..

19. Geek72790

Newcomer Geek72790 Advanced Member

United States
    I just did this with my DS lite and the screw to the farthest left does the top screen, the screw to the furthest right (The Tei-wing screw) just holds the DS together, and the one to the left of that does the bottom screen.

Flashing DSs were never a problem for me, I flashed 5 of them for the hell of it.

20. granville
    OP

United States
    Is the top screen control that gold-colored screw with the flathead notch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.