Hardware Scratches on screen, even after being so careful.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
http://i.imgur.com/jUfC0ku.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a12hLIf.jpg
Since hearing about how some people's docks can scratch screens, I've been utterly meticulous about how I placed the console into the dock as well as how often I did so. I planned play in ways to minimize dockings, and when I did dock, I took around 8-10 seconds to actually slide the thing in. I've heard that some docks have a manufacturing defect, where the front piece actually bends inward and can pinch the console somewhat, causing scratches, but my dock has always felt sufficiently spacious, having no resistance when placing the console inside of it.

Now my screen is scratched. Fucking...

But here's the thing, as you can see, there is one scratch where dock nub touches the screen, but at least two in an arc more towards the center of the screen, which are incredibly unlikely to have been caused by the dock. In truth, they follow the arc my right hand's pinky takes when I lightly brush dust from the screen while I play in portable mode. Now, I've treated every inch of this console like an oxygen tank in a ring of fire since the very day I got it, and I can absolutely attest that nothing but dust, my skin, and the dock has ever come into contact with the Switch's screen. I've only ever taken it to the toilet, and have treated it with such delicacy and cautiousness that even my family has commented on whether or not the time I take in docking it is really all that necessary. The only thing I see as possible regarding the scratches closer to the inside of the screen is that either dust or my skin has caused them. No large particulates that can sometimes fall from the air, I use my breath to blow those off, I'm talking wispy little pieces of nothing that are almost invisible without the console on (or when using flash photography) and my soft fucking flesh.

I honestly feel rather betrayed by how things have turned out, and my only solace is in reporting this problem to people and by impressing on everyone just how careful I've been with the system. When you see a damaged Switch screen, it's easy to assume that the owner treats their electronics with disrespect and a devil-may-care attitude, but this completely changes the way I look at reports of screen damage with the Switch. I just hope my tempered glass protector arrives soon (and the adhesive doesn't fucking melt.)

It should be said, though, that without turning the console off and looking at it with an extreme viewing angle, the scratches are absolutely invisible. Still, after thorough cleaning, I can confirm that they are indeed there and they are indeed scratches.

Last edited by Meteor7,

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They reallly should have put something soft in there as a guide, like a rubber wheel or something...
Well, I don't necessarily think it's the fault of the dock, as scratches have appeared in places the dock's nub has never touched. It seems like just about anything will scratch the screen.

Last edited by Meteor7,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Damn. This is why it's a basic necessity for Switch owners to buy ASAP a tempered glass screen protector so the Switch's screen is protected against scratches from the Dock. My Switch *only* has a scuff mark on the bottom left.

Reactions: Pluupy

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should of put a screen protector on it day one.
Its not the screens fault. It is plastic and there is a ton of stuff harder then plastic. So dirty rubbing between the screen and dock can scratch it. The rubber pads inside the dock can hold in dirt and scratch it.

Also have you try using a small amount of rubbing screen cleaner and seeing if you can polish them out?

Meteor7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's your own fault. There has been countless posts and video's already that a screen protector is a must !
It's been in the mail since March 3rd. :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Should of put a screen protector on it day one.
Its not the screens fault. It is plastic and there is a ton of stuff harder then plastic. So dirty rubbing between the screen and dock can scratch it. The rubber pads inside the dock can hold in dirt and scratch it.

Also have you try using a small amount of rubbing screen cleaner and seeing if you can polish them out?
Haven't tried it yet, but will if I have any screen cleaner.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been in the mail since March 3rd. :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haven't tried it yet, but will if I have any screen cleaner.
Sucks about your protector. I preorder the nintendo one when i preorder the switch i like to have protectors on from out the box.
And if you dont have any cleaner a small amount of 70% rubbing alcohol will work.
Put it on a clean new micro fiber just a few drops will.
DONT POUR IT ON THE SCREEN. cant tell you how many people do this and mess things up.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that you or others haven't experienced issues with the dock, but I've removed and replaced the unit from the dock on numerous occasions and the only thing to show for it is the accumulated oil smudges up at the rails; easy enough to wipe off. That said, I do have a screen protector in the mail. For me, I see the screen protector more as something that'll allow me to carry it around in a jacket breast pocket or something when a carrying case is inconvenient.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I put a screen protector on mine before even putting it in the dock, it's just a plastic one since that's what they had at GameStop but I will be getting a glass one later on.
The tablet design makes it much more vulnerable to scratches, and it doesn't help that the screen is made of plastic. You really can't be too careful when it comes to screen scratching on the Switch.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's not pretend that this is a Switch exclusive problem. I had many smartphones in my life (Galaxy S1, Xperia Play, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge+, Ipod Touch 4) with Gorilla Glass and all of them had some fine scratches, even though I treated them like a raw egg. Yes even Gorilla Glass can scratch easily, it just need a dust grain and friction. I'm not sure why people are so shocked, Nintendo didn't use Gorilla Glass (and never did, not for the 3DS nor for the WiiU), so it should be common sense, that it's easier to scratch. If you can't life with (almost invisible) scratches, then slap a fckin screen protector on it. Nintendo offers official licensed screen protectors for the WiiIU, 3DS and Switch for a reason!

Last edited by DarkOrb,
Reactions: Hozu

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Ever since this issue came up around the internet I took the dock and tablet and couldn't really see any way it would scratch the screen unless you slammed it in the dock or if your dock is bent but it's happening so it's worth spending $7-$8 for a protector.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
you really should have applied a screen protector from start, those sratches look annoying !
get a glass sp and apply it onto it and it may hide those scratches.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Let's not pretend that this is a Switch exclusive problem. I had many smartphones in my life (Galaxy S1, Xperia Play, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge+, Ipod Touch 4) with Gorilla Glass and all of them had some fine scratches, even though I treated them like a raw egg. Yes even Gorilla Glass can scratch easily, it just need a dust grain and friction. I'm not sure why people are so shocked, Nintendo didn't use Gorilla Glass (and never did, not for the 3DS nor for the WiiU), so it should be common sense, that it's easier to scratch. If you can't life with (almost invisible) scratches, then slap a fckin screen protector on it. Nintendo offers official licensed screen protectors for the WiiIU, 3DS and Switch for a reason!
No shit. We're on the Switch section talking about the Switch.

DarkenedMatter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, those are scratches from something else other than just the dock. They actually look like some thin piece of metal got on the screen and rubbed against it. Most of the dock scratching issues look like mere blemishes but those seem more refined but I am probably wrong but haven't had the issue yet myself so I can't really speak on the situation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay