Gaming Scrabble DS contains offensive words?

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
Its true. Its legal in scrabble games. The video games have the option to forbid it too.

That's pretty bad, though, the game should really be rated higher, or have some sort of blatant warning in the manual.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overprotective Soccer Moms should be sent to Siberia for a year for their complaining. They ruin the fun of every aspect of life for the rest of the populace. Common sense says if the parent thinks that the game is bad for their child, they should not buy it for their kids.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
smile.gif
Scrabble DS accepts the word "shat"

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
It better. It was frustrating as hell getting stuck on the GBA one with only an obscenity in your hand that it wouldn't let you play.

But the chance that the computer generated players would throw out that many of those particular words... that kid must play a heckuva lot of scrabble :S It must be in the manual somewhere.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Teej said:
dinofan01 said:
Its true. Its legal in scrabble games. The video games have the option to forbid it too.

That's pretty bad, though, the game should really be rated higher, or have some sort of blatant warning in the manual.
I would have to agree with that. Although that would mean practically no one would buy it. Quite a predicament if you ask me.

xCuteBunnyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
The Teej said:
dinofan01 said:

I would have to agree with that. Although that would mean practically no one would buy it. Quite a predicament if you ask me.
No use protecting that much anyways. That kid looks around 10 he is soon going to start saying swear words and know what they are anyways.
I learned my first swear word around 4/5 because my cousins were saying it and I was tricked into saying it and got in trouble.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well for a start its scrabble, IMO its never been a kids game, more of a "mature" players game due to the nature of it and you needing to remember half a dictionary to get a top score.

Hop2089 said:
Overprotective Soccer Moms should be sent to Siberia for a year for their complaining. They ruin the fun of every aspect of life for the rest of the populace. Common sense says if the parent thinks that the game is bad for their child, they should not buy it for their kids.

QFT, especially ones who go whining to the nearest tabloid newspaper as well. British tabloid press (with a few exceptions i.e local newspapers) is scum, they go on sensationalism and they out right hate the gaming industry. If it makes PROPER mainstream media (cutting out ITV and channel 4 news here, brits will know why) i'd be very surprised and at the same time lose any credibility for that channels news coverage. Especially if they air it over the recent stuff with the IWF censoring wikipedia.

Side Note 1: Anyone notice how they call it "nintendo" scrabble.

Side Note 2: Personally i'm more concerned why that boy has a pink ds.

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaring is a part of life and growing up. As long as he is taught the right and wrong's of using sware words then I dont see the harm.

Too many parents rely on letting other influences to teach their kids and then complaining when it doesnt match their expectations.

My parents told me the words and what they meant but also told me the context in which the words were used, and taught me not to use them, instead of just saying "Dont say that word" which would have left me wanting to know why.

And whats the gig with a pink DS? Thats poor lad has got it hard.

MyauChanDesu

Kamineko is GOD.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Captin said:
Swaring is a part of life and growing up. As long as he is taught the right and wrong's of using sware words then I dont see the harm.

Too many parents rely on letting other influences to teach their kids and then complaining when it doesnt match their expectations.

My parents told me the words and what they meant but also told me the context in which the words were used, and taught me not to use them, instead of just saying "Dont say that word" which would have left me wanting to know why.

And whats the gig with a pink DS? Thats poor lad has got it hard.

but some kids just won't listen, they say it for the sake of saying it.
lecture.gif

and isn't "sware" too archaic?

jlf278

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain this thread to me? What are these offensive swear words you're talking about'? At this point, you realize that anybody typing on a forum like this must be familiar with swear words. So what's the point of reducing your child's exposure to them? Why are you even making a big deal out of it? Let them know that some people find them offensive and even though you occasionally blurt one out from time to time, that it's a bad habit. Your approach, which aside from being completely futile, added to their shock value and attention getting. Maybe your time would be better spent preventing your child from learning that people have sex, hurt each other, take drugs or die...I'm certain your kid will never have to deal with any of those either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...