Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Guild McCommunist, May 3, 2010.

May 3, 2010
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    So as I went to see Kick Ass today I caught a preview of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. And I have to say, it looks great. A great director is behind it (Edgar Wright, who did both Shaun of the Dead, which is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Hot Fuzz, which was also excellent), and Michael Cera (Superbad, Adventureland, Juno, etc) playing Scott Pilgrim. The style looked kinda like a live-action comic book, with lots of "pows" and exclamations while the action is going on.

Anyone else hyped up for it? It's set for release August 13th.

2. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I only made a blog no one read about the trailer. [​IMG] But yeah, I've had that date set in my calender since March. Edgar Wright handled the movie excellently from what I've seen, so of course I'll be that person to watch it at least twice.

Thought it's sad to say that Expendables is going up against it as another comic book movie, and with all those actors in there it obviously will get the spotlight. And I want the SP to do well in the box office. :\

3. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    While I usually want a film to follow the comic book closely, with this one I hope the beginning isn't as dull as the original series beginning. As I said in another thread, it got a lot better once the action kicked in and while I liked the none action parts I felt they were drawn out a tad too much.

Saying that with Edgar behind this I'm sure he could make them a lot more interesting seeing everything he has done so far has had great dialogue though that could be because everything he did before was with Simon Pegg. Edgar has a great future infront of him, as well as "The World Ends" which is the final film in the Cornetto trilogy he also is doing "Ant-Man" for Marvel and writing "The Adventures of Tintin" with Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, Jekyll).

4. Twiffles

Germany
    For the like the 5 people (including myself) that are incredibly excited over the movie.

Source

Maaaaan, I love you Edgar Wright. Looooove. [​IMG]

5. Conor

Member Conor GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    so.hyped.it.hurts.

6. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wouldn't worry too much about a dull beginning. They are condensing what looks like all seven parts into a roughly 2 hour movie. Odds are they'll cut out a lot of the useless parts.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    There isn't going to be a part 7, Finest Hour is going to be the last one.

It sounds like a mix match of parts 1-6 with them just right now adding a few parts from part 6 at the last minute as Edgar thought it would improve the movie.

Pretty much sounds like it'll be based mostly on parts 1-2 with little things from 3-6 here and there and then I guess potential sequels would go their own way. I think its a good thing for this film seeing its more of a series.

Test screenings of it before they added bits from part 6 are said to have had a very positive reaction from the audience.

8. Twiffles

Germany
    Well if you read the books, you'd know there is no real useless parts. Besides the character introductions/development, the "other" stuff is just too funny to leave out. I mean really.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Plus, it was said in a interview before that the movie follows the first four books very closely; the 5th and 6th, not so much. Well, I guess now, the 5th not as much.

9. ufotrash

Member ufotrash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sooo excited for this.
    That poster is an amazing adaptation of the drawing...
    Though I can't say I like that "An epic of epic epicness" line at the bottom...
    I don't really like the casting for Kim Pine (I was hoping for a CUTER GIRL! Haha...)

I have a couple friends in the comic industry and they are inexplicably
    Scott Pilgrim haterrrsss and it kept me away from series for a long time
    (That, and I used to think the art was stanky)
    but yeah, Scott Pilgrim is now my #1 comic related guilty pleasure. [​IMG]

10. Twiffles

Germany
    Every time I see the poster I feel slightly sad because I didn't get the limited WonderCon SP t-shirt. :<
    [​IMG]
    But it's all swept away by my excitement for the 6th book AND the movie. More so in the book's favor due in part to myself and 25-26 other people making "cameo's" in it. Heck yeah! Summer's going to be indefinitely epic.