Scone cheat engine vs r4s cheat engine

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by drtofu, Aug 13, 2007.

Aug 13, 2007
  1. drtofu
    OP

Newcomer drtofu Advanced Member

United States
    How do they compare are they the same? From searching around I only found bits and pieces like SCone's cheat engine kinda sucked but that was a while ago.

2. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    There's no comparison SC1>>>R4

The R4 'real time' cheat engine is buggy and slows down games

The SCone 'real time' cheat engine suffers 'no slowdown' (exclusively) and works flawlessly with AR and/or Dipstar cheats for virtually every game.

note.. 'real time' means u can press a button combo mid game and enter the cheat selection page to turn on and off cheats as you like

3. helpme

Member helpme GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i dont know if R4 has a cheat database but theres a supercard cheats database here
    it has some Basic Instructions on how to active cheats & how to make them as well

http://sccheats.co.uk/

4. Zombie_X

Member Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think the R4DS cheat engine is slow or buggy at all. Personally I think it's easier to use then the Supercards.

5. Ph1l0z0ph3r

Member Ph1l0z0ph3r GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Same I've never noticed any slowdowns or buggyness and ive cheated on about 20-30 games.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I have a question: how easy is it to add cheats to the R4 database? The SCDS is relatively easy to do so with (I say relatively because the process is easy to do but appears complex at first).

7. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    Now lets not get stupid, "pretending" that your favoured flashcart has 'real time' cheats without slowdown is not on.

'Real Time' (meaning with a button combo you can enter the cheat menu to adjust your cheats any time you like, important in some games) without slowdown is an "EXCLUSIVE" Supercard feature.

The R4 hasn't the hardware inside to able to do it without affecting the speed of the game. You get what you pay for.

8. nickvv

Newcomer nickvv Member

United States
    You are so ignorant its just funny. I see you spread your mis-informed fanboy crap everywhere and frankly, its getting annoying. Yes, the so-called "real time" cheat menu is exclusive to the supercard. However, supercard does NOT have a nice GUI to select cheats before starting the game which every other device has. Instead you need to use some buggy ingame menu with a huge ugly font which can fit only a few words on the screen at one time. Personally I'd take the nice GUI provided by other devices any day rather than the ugly crap you get with supercard, because I cant think of a single case where its important for me to toggle individual cheats ingame. Lets not forget that just about all the codes that people are using come from Action Reply which just like everything else is designed to enable cheats BEOFRE the game starts. These codes are not designed to be toggled on and off at any point, and sometimes doing this will have horrible effects (I've managed to crash games quite often this way). Furthermore, its insanely complicated to get cheats working with supercard - you need to use some crappy applications to convert text files into .scc and this is certainly not for newbies.

You keep bragging about supercard with its "exclusive" no-slowdown feature. It would be "exclusive" if supercard was the only device to offer this feature, but I havent seen ANY reports of any slowdown with CycloDS Evolution or G6Real. Actually, I havent seen any reports of slowdown with the R4 cheat engine either.. allough I could have just missed something. Would you care to list the games/codes which the R4 cheat engine cannot handle without slowdowns? As far as the actual cheat engines go (by this, I mean the bit of software running alongside games, patching them as they go), there doesnt seem to be much of a difference at all between the devices I listed above. They all seem to work with cheat codes quite well, and I havent personally experienced any slowdowns (and yes I have tested all the devices listed). The main difference is the way in which cheat codes are enabled and how new cheats are added - and in my opinion, supercard is the worst of any of them when it comes to this.

One last thing, the hardware provided by the device has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the cheat engine. The cheat engine is a software only feature and doesnt make any use of hardware at all. Once again, more mis-information [​IMG]

9. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I would QFT but it's too long [​IMG]

Excellent post!

- Sam

10. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    ok so your full of facts are you...not hardware related ???? how come the SC-Rumble with 'no ram' has no in game cheat menu ?? answer=because it hasn't the hardware ...get it ?? dick brain

i don't need to shoot down all your other fanboyish bullshit either

please, post another long post assasinating my character... that will prove how good the r4 cheat engine is... dick brain

SC has the ONLY 'real time' cheat engine with no slowdown... get over it

11. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    sorry sidneyyoung, although i like scone ([​IMG]) i'm pretty sure cheat engines are software reliant only, that cheat interface is somehow stored in ram. thats how nitrohax works with original gamecarts i believe.

Thats just my take. any real experts feel free to correct me.

12. nickvv

Newcomer nickvv Member

United States
    Haha, you dont need to "shoot down my other fanboyish shit"? Let me guess - its because you CANT [​IMG] Yes, I am full of facts where as you're all about speculation and outright flaming. Whats a "dick brain"? Is that something you have in the place where your genitalia should be? I know that its easy to get aggressive when you're proven wrong, but I really think you should calm down for the sake of the other forum members ok? [​IMG] Anyway, back to the point...

The cheat engine is a SOFTWARE ONLY feature. And I dont know why you're referring to the game cheat menu in your argument about hardware requirements, as you originally argued that zero slowdown was due to the supercard hardware and didnt comment on the ingame cheat menu. Regardless, either feature could be implemented by any flash cart, regardless of hardware. It could even be implemented by the homebrew NitroHax if the author desired, and this solution doesnt rely on any specific hardware. Just look at Datels AR - that has no slowdowns, and since you need to swap out the AR cart with the game then the AR hardware is obviously not utilised at all. This proves that its possible to have zero slowdown without any additional/special hardware. The real reason that SC-rumble has no ingame cheat menu is probably to provide some incentive for potential customers to purchase SCDS1. If you can get ALL the same features with the SC slot2 then why upgrade?

I couldnt help but notice that you still cant provide any evidence to backup your claim that SC has the only cheat engine with no slowdown. Have you benchmarked it along with competing products? Can you even name a single game which causes slowdown with any of the competing products?

Maybe its time for you to realise that SC is not the perfect solution that you make it out to be. Maybe competing products are not so bad.. maybe they are even *gasp* BETTER?! Maybe you should get over it [​IMG] Now, how about replying with something other than outright flaming so you dont look like a complete un-informed idiot next time [​IMG]

13. Prince Carl

Newcomer Prince Carl Member

United States
    Supercard is hard to get codes working, i can never get dipstar codes to work but with R4 its very easy to simply open the R4 cheat code editor and copy and paste codes and then transfer it to yoru micro sd.

14. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    The only thing I dont like about the SCDS Realtime cheat thing is that its ugly as sin. But it gets the job done [​IMG]

15. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I like the R4's cheat engine as it is a direct rip of the AR code handler. Which means you can do ASM cheats with it.

No other card (Apart from m3dss) can do this

16. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I will prove that having cheat codes is NOTHING TO DO with hardware. You say
    I would just like to point out that the SuperCard DS 1 has no RAM either. Are denying the fact that the SCDS1 supports cheats?
    Argue your way out of that one.

- Sam

17. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    The R4 cheat engine is very easy to use and also 99.99% of R4 users don't experience slow downs when using cheats. Prove me wrong if you can.

18. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I don't want to get into a flaming thing here guys but, can anybody post a picture of the R4 cheat selection screen . I just want to have a gander at it.

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The GUI isn't the greatest, no, but it does what it's supposed to do. Personally I really don't care how things look as long as they get the job done. One instance in which it's nice to toggle cheats is with the slowdown cheat, as you can enable and disable it when needed.

I understand that the R4's cheat engine may be easier to use. I'm not defending sidneyyoung's fanboyism, merely attempting to state facts that can help clarify things on both sides of the debate.

20. NonStopInTheMix

Member NonStopInTheMix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ah well i dont want to jump into this fiery debate, im a supercard ds one user but i rarely use the cheats. they seem easy to set up although the gui is a bit uglier than the main supercard menu i think i can live with it.

for those who are looking to buy a R4 vs SCDSone and are reading this thread please do not let the cheat system influence your decision on buying either one only [​IMG]

but i ponder... does it really matter how ugly the thing looks? T_T