SCminiSD: If I update to the 1.81 FW......

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Rayder, Jun 19, 2007.

Jun 19, 2007
  1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I have an SCminiSD with a 2gig card in it. I have Nearly 200 GBA games, and a whole mess of games for the built-in emus in it. I also have a few vids in it. It currently has the 1.7 firmware in it. I have no DS games on it because I have an R4DS in slot1. (note sig)

My questions are:

1. If I update to the 1.81 FW, will I have to re-patch all my GBA games to work with the 1.81 FW? I don't care about cheats, so that's not an issue.

2. Will the vids still work or will I have to re-convert all those?

3. Have any of the built-in emulators been updated?

4. If I don't update to 1.81, will the latest patching software still work with the 1.7 FW?

If I have to go through all that hassle to re-patch/convert stuff again, I may not bother updating.

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can give me.

2. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    you will lose built in emulator ability, but you can always put a more update version of the emus on manually

everything else will be fine

but since you don't use it for DS roms theres no real point in upgrading to 1.81 to take advantage of the real time cheat engine with no slow down, and the real time book/guide (both exclusive features) for dsroms

3. Rayder
    OP

United States
    I'll lose the built-in emu's?!? Well, forget that noise then. I'll just stick to the 1.70 FW.

Good thing I didn't go ahead and just update without asking questions. That would have sucked.

4. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    To be honest the built in emus are way out of date, you'd better off with nesDS... you should give it a try, it's quite awesome

5. Rayder
    OP

United States

Yeah, but I have NES, SMS, ColecoVision and TurboGraphics games to hunt EMUs down for it right now. Wouldn't I have to do more than just drop updated EMUs in there? Won't I have to patch them or some such thing? Or is that as simple as running it through their patcher software?

When I first got the Supercard, I went game-happy with it. I made it the ultimate all-in-one game compilation bonanza on my DS.

Let me break this down for you guys:

76 ColecoVision games
    193 GBA games
    335 NES games
    26 SMS games
    39 TurboGraphics games
    16 vid clips

The only one of those EMUs that I didn't have a real system for back in the day was TurboGraphics.

That's a hell of a lot of games to verify all over again. [​IMG] Was I nuts or what? [​IMG]

I got spoiled on the R4DS's plug'n'play setup as of late though.

Now, I know GBA games don't count, but have ALL those EMU's been updated since?

One thing that would convince me to update the FW and EMU's in this SCminiSD would be if Rocket Ranger worked in nesDS. Does it? If it does, then I might be convinced to go ahead and update. I love that old game and it was one of the few that didn't work with the built-in NES EMU.

It's one of those situations where I'm going [​IMG] to even think about going through all the hassle. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Convince me people. [​IMG]

6. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    well just put nesDS on as well and give it a try... you can browse to your stored roms on it

no need to update anything.. 1.70 firmware runs it fine

7. Rayder
    OP

United States
    Erm....do I have to DLDI patch it just to work on a slot2 card? I thought DLDI was only for slot1 cards. I tried DL'ing the latest build, running it through my SC (R4 as a passme) and it says DLDI not found. I don't want to run this through my R4, unless it will let me select roms from the SC, which I doubt is possible. The R4 is reserved for DS games. Besides, all my NES files are on the SCminiSD.

I know how to DLDI patch stuff, but what DLDI file would I need for an SCminiSD?

Anyone have a link to the latest version, but pre-DLDI so I can check it out? I don't care about saving on NES games.

From what I can see of any pre-DLDI versions of nesDS I saw, it wants to convert all my nes games to some XXX.nes.ds.dsq or some crap like that. Is that right? I don't want to alter the files like that. Can't it just select a ROM and play it without having to have it altered into some twisted form that nothing else understands?

I'm a little confuzzled by all this. I understand that it would just be easier to run it all through the R4, but dammit, this is why I bought the SCminiSD in the first place. [​IMG]

Man! I'm feeling like a noob again. [​IMG]

Help? [​IMG]

8. Rayder
    OP

United States
    Ok, Ok, I finally got it to work. I didn't know that DLDI patching was for slot2 cards too. Learn something new everyday. [​IMG]

Unfortunately, it didn't work with the first three games I tried....Super Turrican (garbled graphics, unplayable, works fine with SC's built-in one), Punch-Out (garbled graphics, much worse than the SC's built-in one), Rocket Ranger (blank screen, works on PC emus, but not on any DS/GBA NES emu that I've found yet). It did work with some Mario games, but I hate those, but at least I verified that nesDS WAS working properly, just not for the games I cared about. I have a propensity to have drastically different tastes than everyone else. Not sure what's up with that, but there you are.

Oh well, I guess I'll just forget about updating my SCminiSD to 1.81. It's too bad that nesDS didn't work for me on the games I like, it would have been nice to play those games in full screen as opposed to the bordered one like the built-in SC one does.

I always seem to have that "magical" knack for wanting to play games that don't work the way I want them to. Lucky me. [​IMG]

But you know, thanks for the help anyway. I do appreciate it.

9. sidneyyoung

Bermuda
    Apologies for bringing this thread up, but the 1.81 issue with emus has been resolved.

The cause of the problem was going to 1.81 straight from 1.70.
    To fix it downgrade to 1.70 then update to 1.80 and then to 1.81.

Important note, when downgrading a firmware on SC always use a .bin file as thats a full flash, do not attempt to downgrade with a .scu file as that is just a update file.

So rumble users don't try this as rumble 1.70 is .scu file.

If anyone has trouble finding 1.80 firmware check www.scdev.info