Hacking SciresM says not to update past 7.0.1 if you want a software hack

satelliteseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like systems with patched bootrom will become hackable on firmware <= 6.0.1 through browserhax + nvhax once the Déjà vu kernel exploit is released.

Version 6.1.0 to 7.0.1 owners need to wait for an indefinite time before another userland exploit is released and compatible with these versions.

I'm not sure whether there is a cartridge with update 6.0.1 included - missing of which may cause some issues in obtaining the latest hackable firmware.

Last edited by satelliteseeker,

satelliteseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by satelliteseeker,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Unpatched units under system version 6.0.1 will be able to trigger the software exploit without RCM jig, but it will cause a brick if already hacked with AutoRCM enabled (https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1117956835456061440).
I'm seeing a few people say this, but I think people aren't reading SciresM's post close enough. He's saying that people should not use AutoRCM on ipatched units because there obviously isn't an RCM exploit for it to use. You end up with an actual brick.

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
Still don't quite get the whole picture here... Team xecuter and sciresm mention bad things using autorcm and patched units. And obviously one shouldn't update anyway.

I'm seeing threads that mention deja vu (which I thought was reserved for firmware up to 4.0.1 only) can now be used up to 7.0.1 (theoretically as of now).

So does this mean that those upgraded to 8.0 are now unhackable? Or just not hackable for the time being?

Reactions: gizmomelb

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No machine is unhackable, but there might not be a replacement for Deja Vu for a long time.

Only people with ipatched machines really need to worry about that. If you have a machine which is already exploitable then it is business as usual, though maybe do a fuseless update if you want to be able to downgrade in the future.

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you. Guess 7.0.1 is the end of the road for this exploitable unpatched switch. I'll have to look for a 2nd one soon...

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure whether there is a cartridge with update 6.0.1 included - missing of which may cause some issues in obtaining the latest hackable firmware.
Shouldn't cause any problems - talking about patched units, any deja vu-susceptible firmware is fine as sysnand, and soon you'll be able to use deja vu and atmosphere to boot into emunand, then update that to latest via the usual methods. Keep sysnand as low fw as you like.

Erol

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
lol there is still no cold boot and I dont think it will ever come, maybe when the next switch arrives. who cares. I want to play the newest games.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It’s a full coldboot exploit. There’s a difference between coldboot and untethered coldboot
As I said, in the traditional sense. If we gonna do a real cold boot attack, we need a lot of compressed air, liquid nitrogen etc. where the name comes from :P

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
If your Switch is unpatched then you'll be able to update to 8.0.0 as soon as Atmosphere supports it. There will never be an "end of the road" for unpatched Switches.

Wait seriously? Man I should read more then... I'm still confused about all this. I'm holding out for a switch revision before hacking my unpatched one.

So the update only locks down the patched units?

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait seriously? Man I should read more then... I'm still confused about all this. I'm holding out for a switch revision before hacking my unpatched one.

So the update only locks down the patched units?
Correct. If you can currently send payloads to your Switch then it will be hackable forever. The only end of the road will be if/when developers stop updating CFWs.

Also any Switch revision will almost surely be unhackable (at least using current methods).

raylgo

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh... Man I was freaking out for nothing. Tha KS for answering. I asked on this board long ago before the patched units became the norm what the potential for an unpatched unit was.

The answer I got was that the door would remain open forever similar to the magnethax found on the 3ds. It's a hardware exploit so the door would always be open for hacking... I thought that changed with the recent development.

Buying the switch revision (if it is more powerful) is part of my plans for the future anyway. And I don't mind if that becomes unhackable. That is to be expected with the giant screw up Nintendo left on the hardware exploit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat