Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_282323_601_221966.png

The very concept of dark matter is one that has a lot of scientists scratching their heads. It is at the center of quite a lot of hypotheses and could provide a key insight into the very nature of the universe itself (how it began, how it functions, etc.).

There's just one nagging problem: We're having a hard time finding the stuff.

Well, a bunch of scientists have put forth a possible explanation that will be familiar to any fan of science fiction: a parallel universe. But is such a thing even possible?

...a new paper by a team of theoretical physicists hypothesizes the existence of mirror particles as a possible candidate for dark matter. An anomaly observed in the behavior of ordinary particles that appear to oscillate in and out of existence could be from a “hypothetical parallel world consisting of mirror particles,” says a press release from Springer. “Each neutron would have the ability to transition into its invisible mirror twin, and back, oscillating from one world to the other.”

Theoretical physicists Zurab Berezhiani and Fabrizio Nesti from the University of l’Aquila, Italy, reanalyzed the experimental data obtained by the research group of Anatoly Serebrov at the Institut Laue-Langevin, France, which showed that the loss rate of very slow free neutrons appeared to depend on the direction and strength of the magnetic field applied.

This type of field could be created by mirror particles floating around in the galaxy as dark matter, according to the new paper. Hypothetically, the Earth could capture the mirror matter via very weak interactions between ordinary particles and those from parallel worlds.
icon11.gif
Universe Today

This is still a hypothesis, so a lot of testing and peer review is needed before we can get anywhere close to calling this a fact. Still, it's a tantalizing possibility, and it could radically alter our fundamental understanding of existence itself.

If this does turn out to be true, though, we might want to be careful about any attempts at making contact with our parallel selves. Who knows what kind of facial hair they'll be rocking?

Reactions: 2 people

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As interesting as stuff like this is, the more I think about it the more the possibility's overwhelm me and make my head hurt.
I can't help but wonder what the absolute boundary on human comprehension is and whether this comes close to it.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I think for the bilions of people alive today and for the next few hundred years, this will make no change to our understanding of anything at all.
Personally I don't care how much dark matter is or isn't in or meant to be in the universe. It will never effect anything I do or have done.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If humans ignored everything that wouldn't directly affect themselves then we wouldn't have made any progress as a species at all.

edit: species? I don't know. It's easy to understand my point.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if parallel universes are real then there has got to be scientist on the other universes trying to find them, why not just leave it up to them to find us so our scientist can focus on something more useful.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if parallel universes are real then there has got to be scientist on the other universes trying to find them, why not just leave it up to them to find us so our scientist can focus on something more useful.
And if they are thinking the same thing? :P

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And if they are thinking the same thing? :P

there has got to be deviation, so eventually there will be a universe that is not thinking the same thing.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I postulate that dark matter is a nonsensical and unproven theory to propagate the big bang theory, which is just religion disguised as science. The evidence is forming that there is a universe on the reverse side of every black hole. It's all spheroids. Mark it.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is quite the interesting research. now find cures to diseases please. damn scientists :/

There's differences between scientists and scientists. These guys are theoretical physicists, not biological or neurological (or medical or... whatever) physicists... These guys will probably never cure diseases.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I facepalmed at like half of the reactions to this piece of news. "WHY CAN'T THEY WORK ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS LIKE HERP AND DERP!" Err...cuz they're theoretical physicists? I guess people still think scientists are just people who know a lot of things about everything :rolleyes:

As for the news, I think it'd be pretty interesting to find a parallel universe but I doubt we'll find a way to interact with it.

D

Deleted_171835

inb4 community evil abed refere... ah screw it.

I would love it if they were able to figure... WAIT!!!

Nobody made an Evil Abed reference? Shit.
Haha, I was going to but then I realized that there were multiple alternate universes, not just one parallel one.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting mad at theoretical physicists for not curing diseases is like getting mad at an Italian restaurant for not making sushi.

The science behind diseases and physics are very different and very important. To go all in for one at the expense of the other would be a mistake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...