VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Puppy_Washer said:
ron975 said:
For example, if you went back in time and killed your grandparents, you'd never have been born, thus you would never have made the travel through time, since you haven't made the travel through time, you'd never shot your grandparents, and it goes on and on..
I love debating about this!

My opinion is, even if you wanted to kill your grandparents, you never could.
Since time has already passed in the period that you've travelled to, the events that led to your birth have already taken place. Including the events of your own time-travelled being. It's already happened. Just because you went back in time, doesn't mean that you're changing the past. You must have failed, or somebody lied to you about who your grandparents were.
mthrnitesmiley.gif

But, if you did succeed, that'd be like...the ultimate suicide!

I don't, however, believe that time travel is possible.

if you could travel in time, you would have already done so, already known about it and the events would be playing out already. therefore its easy to say you cannot time travel backwards. if you could you would already know about it.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if you travel faster than something it is only your perception that changes? Let's just say in theory there was this space shuttle that can travel near the speed of light and someone travels for what they perceive as 9 years. and lets just say what they perceive as 9 years is actually 40,000 years for people that aren't traveling near the speed of light on what plane of speed will that person have aged?

What does traveling through time slower mean? getting further into the future within a shorter time span?

does your body rot at the same speed as everyone else regardless of the speed you're traveling?

So many questions, so little time
smileipb2.png

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Fishaman P said:
If time travel is possible, it'll be just like Dragon Ball Z.

There will just be multiple parallel universes, and your actions during time travel will only affect that timeline.
Theories, they never end
smile.gif

What if there were never parallel universe? What if everything just turned upside down and vanished? Well =) Humans! They like those interesting theories.

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TheDarkSeed said:
So if you travel faster than something it is only your perception that changes? Let's just say in theory there was this space shuttle that can travel near the speed of light and someone travels for what they perceive as 9 years. and lets just say what they perceive as 9 years is actually 40,000 years for people that aren't traveling near the speed of light on what plane of speed will that person have aged?

What does traveling through time slower mean? getting further into the future within a shorter time span?

does your body rot at the same speed as everyone else regardless of the speed you're traveling?

So many questions, so little time
smileipb2.png
yes time for you would pass as normal, however if you were to view someone playing patty cake just outside of your craft, they would be going in super fast motion, and if they looked at you , you would be moving very very slowley.....

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Here is the only problem with time travel existing.

One thing is the point of how can something exist in space-time? Time is only an idea of the mind, not a fact to existance that it relates to nature itself. We use the time system made by people, but in order for time to simply go backwards, all of space-time would have to go backwards also. Now, the idea that there are multiple universes out there is a totally different thing.

So, in order for time travel to be possible, you would need to be able to actually "rewind" space-time, and even then causing major occurances of disasters, such as gravity loss or even gravity being so massive that it causes a Black hole in the middle of the Universe.

D

Deleted-188346

OP
VashTS said:
if you could travel in time, you would have already done so, already known about it and the events would be playing out already. therefore its easy to say you cannot time travel backwards. if you could you would already know about it.
It depends on whether you met yourself at an age where you could identify your time travelled self.
Or, whether you could convince others, or yourself, of your time travel.

But that is true. If time travel is possible, there would be a periods of time where there was evidence of time travel.

Such as...this.
tongue.gif

Also, hundreds of time travellers would have already tried to kill Hitler.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Off-topic: 'An idea is faster than the speed of light'

On-topic: I can't argue about something I have little to no knowledge about this theory. I can give my opinion about the subject.

For starters, scientist have been releasing new information about various attempts of surpassing the barriers of physics from extending their knowledge beyond the original comprehension of origin aka 'The Speed of Light'. The moments of enlightenment breaks through those theories of the past as achievements which gives profound intellect to the one who discovers them. Anyone who doesn't realize the achievement will not hesitate to find fault.

In this case of the article about scientists who claims that have found a particle that travels faster than the speed of light. The real question is can they prove their discover by mathematical equations? Can they explain in depth how this was possible to begin with? They can get excited all they want too but if it can't be proven on paper nor demonstration than it leaves the moment of achievement as a talltale.

Besides, I thought a particle traveling faster than the speed of light instantly warps into another timeline or dimension due to its unstablity to exist within its velocity. *shrugs*

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Off-topic: 'An idea is faster than the speed of light'

On-topic: I can't argue about something I have little to no knowledge about this theory. I can give my opinion about the subject.

For starters, scientist have been releasing new information about various attempts of surpassing the barriers of physics from extending their knowledge beyond the original comprehension of origin aka 'The Speed of Light'. The moments of enlightenment breaks through those theories of the past as achievements which gives profound intellect to the one who discovers them. Anyone who doesn't realize the achievement will not hesitate to find fault.

In this case of the article about scientists who claims that have found a particle that travels faster than the speed of light. The real question is can they prove their discover by mathematical equations? Can they explain in depth how this was possible to begin with? They can get excited all they want too but if it can't be proven on paper nor demonstration than it leaves the moment of achievement as a talltale.

Besides, I thought a particle traveling faster than the speed of light instantly warps into another timeline or dimension due to its unstablity to exist within its velocity. *shrugs*
umm they did prove it.. it has been demonstrated, and it is possible because the particle is smaller than an atom and has near 0 mass , so, maybe read the article and you would have more knowledge on this theory.

edit: they proved it, and are asking others to confirm it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Saw a documentary on this yesterday by accident, it was called Breaking Time and it was on National Geographic. It explained all this very good and I feel I really understand it now! Just so awesome, the theory of just being able to manipulate time in either way, future or past, is mind boggling. Just epic, there is nothing cooler than that. I really hope I will still be alive to see that day.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Qtis said:
For the fun of it, I'll post this here if someone hasn't heard of it yet: Unsolved becomes solved. That is one of the interesting things when considering mathematics/problem solving..

Charge the Mass Effect Relays!

-Qtis
thanks, i found it interesting.
the moral of the story, is that some or most people are blocked by the idea of "impossible" and wouldn't dare or even try.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE:

Technology Review said:
It's now been three weeks since the extraordinary news that neutrinos travelling between France and Italy had been clocked moving faster than light. The experiment, known as OPERA, found that the particles produced at CERN near Geneva arrived at the Gran Sasso Laboratory in Italy some 60 nanoseconds earlier than the speed of light allows.
The result has sent a ripple of excitement through the physics community. Since then, more than 80 papers have appeared on the arXiv attempting to debunk or explain the effect. It's fair to say, however, that the general feeling is that the OPERA team must have overlooked something.
Today, Ronald van Elburg at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands makes a convincing argument that he has found the error.
First, let's review the experiment, which is simple in concept: a measurement of distance and time.
The distance is straightforward. The location of neutrino production at CERN is fairly easy to measure using GPS. The position of the Gran Sasso Laboratory is harder to pin down because it sits under a kilometre-high mountain. Nevertheless, the OPERA team says it has nailed the distance of 730 km to within 20 cm or so.
The time of neutrino flight is harder to measure. The OPERA team says it can accurately gauge the instant when the neutrinos are created and the instant they are detected using clocks at each end.
But the tricky part is keeping the clocks at either end exactly synchronised. The team does this using GPS satellites, which each broadcast a highly accurate time signal from orbit some 20,000km overhead. That introduces a number of extra complications which the team has to take into account, such as the time of travel of the GPS signals to the ground.
But van Elburg says there is one effect that the OPERA team seems to have overlooked: the relativistic motion of the GPS clocks.
It's easy to think that the motion of the satellites is irrelevant. After all, the radio waves carrying the time signal must travel at the speed of light, regardless of the satellites' speed.
But there is an additional subtlety. Although the speed of light is does not depend on the the frame of reference, the time of flight does. In this case, there are two frames of reference: the experiment on the ground and the clocks in orbit. If these are moving relative to each other, then this needs to be factored in.
So what is the satellites' motion with respect to the OPERA experiment? These probes orbit from West to East in a plane inclined at 55 degrees to the equator. Significantly, that's roughly in line with the neutrino flight path. Their relative motion is then easy to calculate.
So from the point of view of a clock on board a GPS satellite, the positions of the neutrino source and detector are changing. "From the perspective of the clock, the detector is moving towards the source and consequently the distance travelled by the particles as observed from the clock is shorter," says van Elburg.
By this he means shorter than the distance measured in the reference frame on the ground.
The OPERA team overlooks this because it thinks of the clocks as on the ground not in orbit.
How big is this effect? Van Elburg calculates that it should cause the neutrinos to arrive 32 nanoseconds early. But this must be doubled because the same error occurs at each end of the experiment. So the total correction is 64 nanoseconds, almost exactly what the OPERA team observes.
That's impressive but it's not to say the problem is done and dusted. Peer review is an essential part of the scientific process and this argument must hold its own under scrutiny from the community at large and the OPERA team in particular.
If it stands up, this episode will be laden with irony. Far from breaking Einstein's theory of relatively, the faster-than-light measurement will turn out to be another confirmation of it.

:arrow: Source

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for this update.

I didn't thought about GPS position with earth movement (Italy moving toward to the source point, shorting the distance to travel by the neutrinos).
But I thought Genova was more Western than the target point in Italy, it can't "move toward".

Though, I thought it could be caused by the earth rotation speed:
Italy being nearer to equator than Switzerland, it moves faster because it's located on a higher radius from earth center.

The earth is not perfect ball, it's larger on equator. It's like a CD in a reader, the external edge travel a greater distance than the inner edge at the same laps of time. More distance in the same time = bigger speed.

Moving faster = the time perception from a viewer at this point is slower than the time on a higher latitude. Geneva would look like it have aged more than Italy, like if it was already a little in advance (in the future), so the measure would take less time to reach Italy.
Though, the most it approach the equator, and the most time effect should be applied to the traveling neutrinos too. (linear time dilatation?)

But I guess that's why they are using GPS time instead, as the GPS satellites is correcting this time's distortion automatically.

But (again), to feel this earth movement going toward the source (then shorting the distance), that would mean that the neutrino didn't felt the earth gravity and are moving freely straight, not moving with the earth movement/rotation. if it doesn't follow the earth rotation speed, it doesn't feel the time dilatation from getting near the equator.

But I don't think that time dilatation from different latitude could be as much as 64 nanosecond. the 64 nanosecond has been explained, but I think latitudes has an effect too, the same way altitude does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)