Scientists claim to have broken the absolute speed barrier

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Sep 22, 2011.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    GENEVA (AP) -- A pillar of physics - that nothing can go faster than the speed of light - appears to be smashed by an oddball subatomic particle that has apparently made a giant end run around Albert Einstein's theories.

Scientists at the world's largest physics lab said Thursday they have clocked neutrinos traveling faster than light. That's something that according to Einstein's 1905 special theory of relativity - the famous E (equals) mc2 equation - just doesn't happen.

"The feeling that most people have is this can't be right, this can't be real," said James Gillies, a spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research. The organization, known as CERN, hosted part of the experiment, which is unrelated to the massive $10 billion Large Hadron Collider also located at the site.

Gillies told The Associated Press that the readings have so astounded researchers that they are asking others to independently verify the measurements before claiming an actual discovery.

"They are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements," he said Thursday.

Scientists at the competing Fermilab in Chicago have promised to start such work immediately.

"It's a shock," said Fermilab head theoretician Stephen Parke, who was not part of the research in Geneva. "It's going to cause us problems, no doubt about that - if it's true."

The Chicago team had similar faster-than-light results in 2007, but those came with a giant margin of error that undercut its scientific significance.

Other outside scientists expressed skepticism at CERN's claim that the neutrinos - one of the strangest well-known particles in physics - were observed smashing past the cosmic speed barrier of 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers per second).

University of Maryland physics department chairman Drew Baden called it "a flying carpet," something that was too fantastic to be believable.

CERN says a neutrino beam fired from a particle accelerator near Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light. Scientists calculated the margin of error at just 10 nanoseconds, making the difference statistically significant. But given the enormous implications of the find, they still spent months checking and rechecking their results to make sure there was no flaws in the experiment.

"We have not found any instrumental effect that could explain the result of the measurement," said Antonio Ereditato, a physicist at the University of Bern, Switzerland, who was involved in the experiment known as OPERA.

The researchers are now looking to the United States and Japan to confirm the results.[/p]

If this turns out to be confirmed, it would cast a lot of what was done in the last hundred years in a whole new light and would bring about a very big flaw in Einstein's theory.

[​IMG] Source

2. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    "The feeling that most people have is this can't be right, this can't be real"

Kinda how I feel about this right now... I just read a book on the Theory of Relativity too... so I find this hard to believe but interesting.

3. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    E=/=mc2?

I'm reminded of that scene in Transformers 2 when Sam goes OVER9000 and recalculates the theory of Relativity because of some Energon thing.
    Michael Bay [​IMG]

Also, I'm scared of the experiments the guys do at CERN and the LHC. You do realize they really make miniature black holes in there?

4. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I'm certainly no physicist, but if this is true, could it not open up the theoretical possibility of time travel, again?

Perhaps I don't understand it perfectly, but it was explained to me that the light-speed barrier was what shot down most theories relating to time-travel.

EDIT: Hey! There's FAST. Perfect timing. [​IMG]

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    You do realize they're miniature? You're so scared of the words "black hole" you're forgetting everything else. Black holes are "dangerous" because of their gravity. The gravity comes from mass. The black holes created by the LHC are less massive (and therefore less dangerous) than a grain of sand. Are you scared of sand?

6. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    The difference is those "grains of sands" are much much more dense than regular sand.

7. weiff

Member weiff GBAtemp Regular

If Einstein were still alive he would probably be one of the first to point out that the "theory of relativity" is exactly that.... a theory. There was not a large amount of qualifying evidence to support it until log after it was adopted.

In fact most scientists keep crunching number to continue to prove theories are actual fact, until there is enough evidence to support or destroy it, it remains only a theory (For those not in the know... read theory as "educated guess").

I say more power to them, if they found a way to send particles faster than light then it opens up billions of new opportunities for other experimentation.

Go unyielding science, what will you wrought?

8. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    A scientific theory is verifiable and supported by numbers and facts. The word you're looking for is "hypothesis". A hypothesis is an educated but unverified guess at how something works. Once the hypothesis has been confirmed through observation and experimentation, it becomes a theory. A scientific theory is pretty much verified fact. Admittedly, it's a clumsy and misleading term that has led to much debate.

9. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    This is indeed interesting and will open more windows than it closed.

10. ShinyJellicent12

Member ShinyJellicent12 I summon giant clover-shaped meteors in the sky

United States
    This is not good at all, Why?
    If this experiment gets into the wrong hands, who knows what will happen! They'll be able to make bad things happen in the past, and kill our ancestors so we are dead!
    Unless, we still live how we are, but the person who did it gets transported to another world? It's quite confusing to me, almost as confusing to me as evolution [​IMG]

11. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Particles traveling faster than the speed of light =/= People being able to time travel...

12. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States

You do realize that we're taking about theories, and not Dr. Who, right?

13. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    IF this turns out to be true (which I doubt), time travel is a possibility. [​IMG]

14. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    That is the big question whenever you deal with time travel and paradoxes. If you do something that changes the past, does that change your own future, your own moment in time you came from, or do you just end up in an alternate future, while the future you did come from still exists but your now cut off from it?

As for traveling faster than the speed of light contributing to time travel, it requires more than just flying very very fast. You also need to have a gravitational field to literally slingshot your matter across space-time, or something that is able to bend light. Why do you think they do that in Star Trek?

15. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    If time travel is possible, it'll be just like Dragon Ball Z.

There will just be multiple parallel universes, and your actions during time travel will only affect that timeline.

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Not going to happen.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Faster than light particles are one thing but usually such debates for me tail off into information encoding- various things have been attempted here and might have done something but being unable to encode information despite potentially being faster than light.

As for paradoxes for the sake of this argument (today at least) I am going to be of the many universes with regards to choices persuasion.

@ ShinyJellicent12321 "evolution is confusing"... two (or possibly more) organisms share some DNA to produce an offspring. Along the way the DNA occasionally gets a few random mutations (copying errors when cells divide, radiation and a few other methods) or simply via the combination of traits from the parents. Should as a result of these mutations or inheritance the offspring be somewhat stronger, faster, smarter...... without too many downsides (sometimes the new/improved traits might burn a lot of energy just by sitting there which is rare/valuable in the wild) then it is more likely to make it to the next spawning stage (or be more successful at it) and the offspring from it then (hopefully) get the stronger/faster/smarter traits and it all gets rinsed and repeated over several million years which as anybody that has taken out a loan will tell you a few percentage points (in this case in favour of the mutant) add up to a lot in the long run.
    It occasionally gets tempered by other animals in the species (too strong/fast/smart or just plain different and the other species members will tend to kill it*), there are a few interesting mechanisms (recessive genes and such) and the environment comes into play (should I be adapted for hot desert survival then I will probably not do too well in an ice age should one suddenly appear) but that is just additional modelling (incredibly fascinating and valuable but still just additional stuff).

*a recent one was as screening for some aspects of autism might become available when still in the womb (with an eye towards an abortion if detected) for fear the resulting person would be not as able to function in society as they might be caused murmurs from some in the high end maths world as they have found some of their best from those with certain autistic traits. If you prefer less human oriented stuff then I overheard someone mentioning an albino seal/walrus or something recently if you fancy a search.
    Edit not entirely related to the evolution bit but I found it enjoyable http://www.ted.com/talks/jack_horner_build..._a_chicken.html

Next post perhaps more on the actual topic.

18. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    i was thinking if you were to go back in time, the only way to change your future/present would be to go back in time, kill yourself in the past & live your life differently lol. difference would be that your using your same body.
    edit: or you could send your past self into the future instead of killing, then live your life in the past then somehow all of your knowlage & changes transfers to your past self in the future.

19. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Anything that will help me fit my 6 foot ladder into my 4 foot barn.

20. ShinyJellicent12

Member ShinyJellicent12 I summon giant clover-shaped meteors in the sky

United States
    If time travel was possible, the government should hide it from people because who knows what we'll do?
    The government hides lots of stuff from us, time travel could help.
    But if it was released to the public, that's not very good [​IMG]