sci-fi jRPG & Rpg

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kejtu, Jan 9, 2007.

1. kejtu
    OP

kejtu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    Poland
    I curios why there is so few s-f rpg (good or bad doesn't mater). Do you people don't have desire to play some? we still getting rpg placed in medieval (and magic) times.

2. DMP

DMP Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Hamburg
    I'd definately like to see some more sci-fi RPGs.
    The only one I could name right now would be Anachronox.
    Man, that game is awesome. : )

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Fallout 1 and 2.

I don't know, people seem to associate SF with shooters, shooters and more shooters (and the occasional RTS), while RPG is stuck in medieval times.

4. Knab

Knab GBAtemp Fan

Jul 6, 2006
    United States
    Metalheart: Replicants Rampage was ok i liked the humor in it, it had more of a diablo feel to it. top down kind more of an angle lol, no 3d graphics kinda lagged a bit in story but it felt like an old goody that im use to.

5. cenotaph

cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2006
    United States
    Does Deus Ex count? It's not an RPG per-se, but had RPG-like elements (and it's a great game). Also, Shadowrun (SNES/Genesis, although the Genesis version is arguably superior).

6. Moneo

Moneo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2006
    Dunno, at least on the PC there's plenty.

Fallout 1 and 2, Anachronox, System Shock 1 and 2, Deus Ex 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2... off the bat, I don't think I can name even twice as many good fantasy RPGs on that platform.

7. mario5555

mario5555 Newbie

Some could argue it but I've always considered Crono Trigger a Sci-Fi RPG. It has time travel, future technology and lots of elements other elements that put it into that category.

And I agree there needs to be more, Sci-Fi games are some of my favorites, unfortunately it seems like the genre all but disappeared almost 5-10 years ago. There are a few standouts (Dues Ex, System Shock 2, and the upcoming Bioshock) but nothing else I know of in the intervening years.

8. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

Nov 29, 2002
    United States
    No one mentions Star Ocean and the Xenogears series? [​IMG]'

I would love more space RPG's.

Fantasy ones are so boring these days.

9. kejtu
    OP

kejtu Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    Poland
    Bioshock is quite interesting but this high system requirements for pc, maybe it's time to buy x360 [​IMG]

what about Xenogears? Interesting and twisted plot. I don't remember any else good s-f jRPG (except Xenosaga but i didn't play it yet so I can tell)

10. Shtroodle

Shtroodle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2005
    Stankonia
    You could dust off your 386 laptop and try Circuit's Edge [​IMG]

System Shock 2 is your safest bet though - great game!

11. ThadSharpe

ThadSharpe Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2007
    Canada
    System Shock 2 was great... especially the beginning part where you have no clue what is going on and you run into the first of the "crew". Crazy fun!