Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dam it like in 1 week middle schools going to start and I only red 5 books. cirque de freak series first three. and hero. i nwas going to read the first 5 lemony snicket series my sister has but she lost the freaking first one. I'm supposed to log and also right a summary of one book and reccomend it to someone. shit i'm in big trouble. p.s i'm starting 6th grade could you give any ideas (goes off to read)

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought I remember you saying you had children...
wacko.gif

No, I didn't read either of my Summer Reading books but I passed one test with a 92/100 and the other I failed with a 60/100...that's good since I never read those boring things!
yaynds.gif

Good luck, you could probably cram all those books in in a week, actually, if you really tried.

OrcMonkey©

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JPH said:
I thought I remember you saying you had children...
wacko.gif

that was a lie
QUOTE(Bishang @ Aug 20 2008, 12:35 PM) Just look the books up on Wikipedia. They give you pretty much the whole plot and more.
wont the teacher find out

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read any books in ages :D (ages meaning ~1 year)

Only reading I do is manga and subtitles to anime

One week is plenty to read part of the lemony snicket series, you can finish like a book a day.

Q.Ghost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just tell the teacher to screw off and see what he or she does, if it's a smile then you're off the hook but if they tell you that you got shit comin your way you should duck and run under the desk and hope there's an earthquake. Good luck though lol

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'd just say that summer is MY time, not school time. I'm not reading anything I don't want to on MY time. I enjoyed the tiny little bit of freedom from school that I do get in the summer, and I'm not wasting it on some lame book-reading school crap.

But then again, you're in 6th grade, I didn't develop that attitude until I was in 10th. And that was well over 20 years ago.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would go somewhere other than wikipedia and the "mirror" sites (I would sooner rely on Uncyclopedia than wikipedia myself) but the idea is solid.
First rule is never copy something word for word or attempt to alter the wording. Read it, understand it and then work from there.

Anyhow his means it is one of the dark arts of essay writing times which means you can follow the example from Rayder and go under the radar.
School: books mean something apparently (I agree some do but school seems to think that all books do) and in my experience it is half the reason people do not is because.
Animal farm is an allegorical account with a "future" prediction of the Russian revolution, The crucible attempts to draw parallels with the communist witch hunt, the magic roundabout is a story about the effects of drugs.
This means it is pretty easy to find people with a theory as to what the book is about.
Do this and form a conclusion beforehand.
Now work on your skim reading to pick out a passage or three to back up a conclusion.
Essays generally have three parts
start where you say what you will say
middle where you say what you have to say
end where you summarise what you have said.

Only problem, if you combine this with the ability to form a sentence it seems eyebrows get raised; this last year my little brother had to redo a few of his essays in idiot or the teacher would not accept them. Only topped by the teacher that lost his essay (and did not inform him until it was way too late to do anything) and then had the gall to say "I thought it was a draft" (handed in on the deadline).

Now go back and read a book you want to read in your own time for yourself.

sidenote this is also a great way to pass religious studies exams.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i can remember of school i dont think you need to be so advanced which is maybe why eyebrows would be raised.
Id have though something along the lines of why you enjoyed a book would be more the level expected than any underlying meanings.
This is like age 11 right?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
10 books? Don't bother. Seriously, I remember our school used to tell us to read 10 books off a reading list by the end of each year, I did it in the first year (and man was that list boring as hell) then found out they didn't even bother checking. RE teacher in year 9 *insisted* that we had to read Anne Frank before the end of Easter half term once, I spent most of the holiday stuck inside reading that damn book only to find out no-one else had bothered and the assignment was dropped.

Really, read about 3 or 4 but I doubt anyone else has bothered to do more than that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad