Gaming School server blocks the use of torrenting

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This site isn't intended for asking questions at all, that's a rather selfish presumption you've made there. We don't have to do anything.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:
  1. Force encrypt your torrents (there should be an option with this in whatever your BitTorrent client of choice is)
  2. Change your torrent ports (it's a bit stupid to leave the default ports selected), and presuming it's a port-based block I doubt that ports 80 or 443 are blocked. Although using port 80 is stupid.
  3. Get a SSH box (that you have permission to torrent through) and forward the ports you are torrenting through, so that the traffic goes through the SSH tunnel as opposed to the connection that is blocked (or alternatively connect through some free proxy, though this will be slower and less secure)
  4. BitTorrent isn't exactly efficient, I suggest setting up a client on another box, such as a home box or a seedbox, and controlling it remotely (your HDD, CPU, RAM and network card will thank you). It's not like you need that school's-internet-downlink-speed-that-is-probably-faster-than-whatever-your-home-connection-is.

Gameking-4

Demon of the mist
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why do you need to use torrents in your school, can't you live without them for a few hours?
He's most likely in college, not elementary/middle/highschool.

@Ace: He wasn't patronizing him, but he was ignorant in what he said. Not all torrents are illegal, and even though the OP is most likely using illegal torrents, what he said was ignorant.

he already said that

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, enough of the judgement. That's not our place.
There are indeed legitimate legal uses for torrents, and none of us have any way of telling whether or not he's using them for this purpose or not.
You've made the OP aware of the risks.
Now drop it.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Also lol if I was raging you will know. I'm not gonna get modded for what I really wanna say to a couple of noobs who are ignorant of my practices.
Why, how nice of you to imply that we know your practices and that we must cater to them. :rofl2:
Above advice by Antoligy (nice work! :O ) was enough to get you going on torrenting again, though I don't see this thread going anywhere else other than criticism and rage: I'll leave, hope your questions have been answered, and that the staff close this topic.

~Ace™

ACEDIT: Ninja'd by Vulpes above. Other posters: take precaution of above :ninja:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple