School offers Game Time as Reward

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
London, Dec 16 (ANI): A Birmingham school has found a novel way to motivate pupils to stay disciplined - by giving well-behaved pupils a range of executive perks, including access to a computer-games room and the right to wear a special uniform.
Selly Oak School has benefited 180 students with a platinum award card, which gives them access to a games lounge, where they can play Nintendo Wii, Xbox and other console games.
The rest of the 410 students can see from outside what they are missing.

An elite cadre of 20 exceptionally good students are excused from wearing the school's regular uniform and are allowed instead to wear a distinctive maroon and gold one.

Graham Ridley, the principal of the school, said that he had got the idea for the special jumpers from the yellow jersey awarded to the leading cyclist in each leg of the Tour de France. Ridley said that the idea is neither elitist nor divisive, insisting that it provides students with a powerful motivation to toe the line.Previously, about a third of his pupils have shown behavioural problems or mild learning difficulties. Many of the remainder are what the principal calls tough, streetwise kids.

"We're like a hospital, we cure them. We take confrontation out of the classroom through motivation," Times Online quoted Ridley, as saying.
Many schools have a system of house points for good behaviour, but Ridley's idea is altogether more ambitious.
"We thought we would have rewards that were more relevant to the children's lives than house points," he said.
Before introducing the perks scheme, teachers were spending 90 per cent of their non-teaching time dealing with problem behaviour.
"Now we have more than halved the time devoted to discipline," he said.

SOURCE: Yahoo

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm.. I don't know if that would motivate me all that much.. I could survive without gaming for a 7~ hours while in school. Plus only 20 kids.. might promote bullying esp. since they can be distinctively recognised.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. I don't know if that would motivate me all that much.. I could survive without gaming for a 7~ hours while in school. Plus only 20 kids.. might promote bullying esp. since they can be distinctively recognised.

they said ELITE, as in 1337!!! who would not want to be part of the 1337 20??!!

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
uniforms are so boring its like they're trying to bore you to death like the simpsons episode where they got uniforms and turned into slave things

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm