Schlupi's Suggested Titles Week 1: MOTHER 3

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Schlupi, Jun 15, 2011.

Jun 15, 2011
  1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    [tvwide]99161-324[/tvwide]
    MOTHER 3 English (Fan Translation) Trailer

Each week, I am going to try and do a “Recommends Session” for classic games, and the first one in the spotlight is going to be: MOTHER 3! Also accompanying “Recommends Sessions” will be my “What Where They THINKING?” reviews on strange, bizarre, awkward, or downright terrible games. Stay tuned each week for more. [​IMG]

MOTHER 3 was a game released on the Nintendo Game Boy Advance in 2006. It is the direct sequel to the cult classic Earthbound (also known as MOTHER 2 in Japan). Despite the fact that it never saw an official release outside of Japan, the dedicated Earthbound fans spent years worth of work developing a complete, professional grade English patch for the game. The game features many similar aspects to the other two in the series, including the RPG gameplay and quirky charm that made the series so popular in the first place. [/p]

[​IMG]
    The battle system can be most closely compared to the Dragon Quest series, where you don’t really see your party members from third person (like say, Final Fantasy) but you do see a full on view of your opponent, and your health, status, and PP (PSI Points, MOTHER’s “magic” which is psychic powers) is displayed underneath on the HUD. MOTHER 3 was the only MOTHER game to also have a “Rhythm based battle system”, rewarding players for getting into the beat of the background music and tapping the “A” button to the timing of the song for each character, who each represent a different musical instrument. The highest number of the combos you can reach is 16, and it can allow you to do over double the damage of just attacking normally after mastering the technique and catching the beat. [​IMG][/p]

[​IMG]
    MOTHER 3 also conveys an engrossing, emotional, powerful story. The game is divided up into chapters, and in each one you assume the role of a new character. Each character has their own distinct (and useful) fighting style, keeping you on your toes learning new moves and methods until the main cast comes together halfway through the game; where their vignette comes together to provoke the main plot is where things truly get interesting (and this is also where you need to learn the harmony of the party as well, and gameplay becomes more interesting).

The game boasts a lot of metaphors and messages as well. MOTHER 3’s main point is the industrialization of society, and how it subtly rears its ugly head as the downfall of civilization. MOTHER 3 teaches valuable life lessons, and speaks to a wide demographic of players as not only a video game but a meaningful and insightful story chronicling humanity as we know it. As you play the game yourself you can unravel the tons of mysteries and meaning behind everything if you like… or you can just enjoy the game for its comical, witty dialog and its unforgettable cast.

It is natively in Japanese, and can be found on Ebay for about 50-60 dollars loose nowadays. You can also use the English Translation Patch from Tomato’s Team (Co-founder of Starmen.net) on a clean copy of the ROM. You only need to run the .exe patch and select the rom, and you can enjoy the game in English like the many fans before you. It’s very “Noob-proof”. The English translation was truly a labor of PK LOVE, appreciated to this day by the entire video gaming community. Tomato and his team also did a full MOTHER portion of MOTHER 1+2 translation (a compilation game for Game Boy Advance featuring both MOTHER games ported and enhanced) for the community to enjoy. The downloads for the patches can be found on the official pages below.[/p]

[​IMG]Mother 3 English Translation Official Page
    [​IMG]Mother 1+2 English Translation Official Page

PS: DO NOT ASK WHERE TO FIND THE ROM. GBATEMP.NET DOES NOT HOST ROMS. Thank you.

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Holy sweet Jesus.

I love this sooooo much. You're video looks so professional, and the music really helps a ton.

And your written article is so beneficial! Thanks!

I hope you continue this series for years to come! Thank you!

3. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

WOW, this is so professional and sophisticated!

This is how the makers should have advertised it.

Great job Schlupi!

EDIT: Here are a few suggestions: [​IMG]
    • You should link to the patch
    • You might want to proof read the text
    • Images look better with center tags IMHO

4. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i really like this game but never got around to finishing it.
    i got lost after beating the mecha gorilla

5. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    JPH beat you by a couple of years...
    he already made a "GBAtemp Recommends!" about this when the final patch first came out...

6. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    DANG! I meant to but forgot to. I will fix now. Thanks. This is my first, so thanks for the tips, friend. [​IMG]

Also, video is made by Tomato's Team, not myself, thanks for the compliments I'll be sure to tell him you like it. Just so you know these are the kind of videos I will be making, though. [​IMG] One day soon I'll be on it. UNtill then I am just using outside videos that showcase the games well. I will remember to give credit right away, too (I don't wanna be plagiarizing by accident! [​IMG])

7. dmace81

Member dmace81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sucks I can't play this on a flash card cuz the size. Or id try it. [​IMG]

8. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    Me and personuser were actually thinking of streaming this on GBATemp Stream if I remember correctly...maybe we could this week.

9. portezbie

Member portezbie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe not quite as good as mother 2, but still a fantastic game. Really funny, bizarre, moving just like the first one.

10. sonknuck23

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    Really glad this was posted; just beat Earthbound last week and started Mother 3. SOO GOOOOOD.

11. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    There are SOOOO MANY emulator solutions, just play it on your computer or Wii. [​IMG]

You obviously have a computer, so just play it on there. [​IMG]

@ Mercluke: he is BANNED! so he don't count. [​IMG] just kidding. I know he has, but it doesn't hurt to do it again since it has been SOOO long. Don't worry, I'll do more hidden gem type titles, I just wanted to do one I was most familiar with for my first work.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I know one other thing I did wrong, I'll be sure to fix it in the next one. Please keep the feedback coming. [​IMG] the more the better.

12. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    The PSP is another excellent emulation option. [​IMG]

13. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Very nice video, but I hope Schlupi's not doing all Mother games. Mother 3's probably the best/second best of the three. I also highly recommend the series. Well made games with a nice story line.

14. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I like your idea and format, but you should proof-read a bit better. You started the last three paragraphs with "The game" which is a bit unprofessional.

Also, Mother 3 is probably my favorite GBA game. Everything about it works extremely well, and the story is just amazing. I just which there was a portable version that worked on the DSi/3DS. Every time I wanna play it I either have to play on my Wii or laptop.

15. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    QFT, I'm emulating this baby on my PSP [​IMG] Just like I've been emulating Fire Emblem on my PSP so far, what a terrific game that is.

16. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    i cant understand why everyone is so exited ,is this games so good ?

17. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Announced in '98, cancelled in 2000, revived in '04, released in '06, fan translated in '08.

The story's great, the characters are great, the music, the gameplay, graphics, EVERYTHING is just great, if not exceptional!

18. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    This. If you can't understand the glorious amazingness of the Mother series you obviously haven't played it. Character dialogue is easily the best in any game.

19. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Get a DSTwo. It works fine on NDSGBA 1.21 (don't use 1.30), though you won't be able to do the timed hits thing very well.

20. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have a DStwo and I don't play Mother 3 on it for that reason alone. I guess you can play without doing it, but I prefer not to.