Schlupi’s Suggested Retro Picks, Super Bomberman 5!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Schlupi, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    [tv]99161-326[/tv]
    Super Bomberman 5 Gameplay video

Today’s game is… Super Bomberman 5 for the Super Nintendo!

[​IMG]
    Super Bomberman 5 Title Screen

Hudsonsoft (the company behind Mario Party) released Super Bomberman 5 in Japan back in 1997. The game was a culmination of all the tricks they learned in the previous Bomberman titles since the first one was released back on NES. Featuring over a dozen Power-ups, more levels than past iterations (Super Bomberman 5 has 13 levels, others had a max of 10), a killer soundtrack, and a cast of strange playable characters (even a Create A Character option!), it makes for a crazy multiplayer experience.
    People who have played Bomberman know what it is about; it is a fairly simple game. The game has two modes, “Normal Game” and “Battle Game”. Basically, the Normal Game features a “story” where you explore different levels to progress, defeating enemies and solving grid-based puzzles where you use your bombs to break “tiles” on the grid (different levels have different breakable blocks; forest levels have bushes, ice levels have ice, etc.) to reveal an exit point and move on to the next level. Every once in a while a “Boss” appears (usually one of the generic playable character from Battle Mode) and you have to fight them to progress, and that’s usually just the same as a Battle Mode Match (blow your opponent up before they take you out). The Normal Game will keep you busy for a while with it wide variety of colourful stages and enemies, but the Battle Mode is where this gem truly shines.

Battle Mode is just as it says – a mode where you compete with other players to blast each other off the screen. You start in one of the corners of the map, and you have one bomb. You place the bomb and blow up obstacles in your way with the intent to find Power-ups which make your bombs more potent (Flames make your bomb’s explosion have more range, Bomb icons grant you another bomb, Kickers allow you to kick bombs out of your way, etc.) and trap your opponents to be the last man (or woman) standing. The game also features little guys called “Rooi”, which look like a hybrid kangaroo-bunny creature. Each colour has a different ability (Fat green ones allow you to dash madly across the stage, yellow ones can kick obstacles out of your way, black ones can drop rows of bombs to easily trap opponents, etc.) and they also allow you to take another hit before dying by sacrificing themselves, a valuable function that makes them one of the most desirable things to find on the map. As the clock starts ticking towards the end, the pressure to kill your friends is higher because the whole stage starts to be destroyed within the last minute. [​IMG] Both players surviving results in a draw, and nobody claims the victory.[/p]

[​IMG]
    What a round of Super Bomberman 5 looks like

The Battle Mode was present on all the other Bomberman titles, but it is the small differences that make this game the best of the bunch. First of all, there is a Create A Character Mode, which none of the other games had. It allows you to customize your character; who doesn’t like to do that? [​IMG] Don’t expect it to be like say, The Sims... it’s not THAT detailed, but it’s still fun. Another thing I REALLY liked about this game is that the Rooi have differences that help distinguish what they do. In Super Bomberman 3, they also made an appearance, but the only way you could tell what their abilities were besides their colour was through trial and error, which makes for less fun for new players. In SB5 they have quirks about them (Pink ones can hop over obstacles, so they have pogo sticks, green ones are fat so they can run… somehow, red ones can punch so of course they have boxing gloves, and so forth) to make it MUCH EASIER to figure them out, and makes the game a lot more accessible for new players.
    The game may sound simple, and that’s because IT IS. It doesn’t take away from its fun factor though. The game is A BLAST with friends, and makes for one of the best party games I have ever played. The coolest thing about the game is that you can use a SNES Multitap, to allow up to five players to play on one TV! Take THAT, Mario Party and Rock Band! As a matter of fact, the SNES Multitap was first created for the Bomberman series.[/p]

[​IMG]
    The official Hudson Multitap, for 5 player gaming​

As stated before, this game was only released in Japan. However, with a small amount of modding (easily done with a screwdriver and a little chiseling) you can convert your NTSC-U (USA) Super Nintendo into one that can play this gem. A loose copy of the game runs for about 20 bucks on Ebay, and there is a special Gold Cart version too which has three extra levels featured (which are unlockable in the normal version anyways) but that runs for about ten times as much, so unless you’re a collector, you may as well just pick up the normal copy. Even though the game has some Japanese, the menus are mostly in English and are incredibly easy to figure out, so this also makes it very import friendly. This is truly a party game that EVERY Super Nintendo owner shouldn’t be without.[/p]

[​IMG]FAQ for those who need help
    [​IMG]Buy it now!
    [​IMG]My suggested SNES emulator to play on PC

2. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    cool! I love bomberman!

3. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Hahaha, have you ever played Super 5? If not give it a try, it's totally the best one. [​IMG]

4. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you know I'm not sure, I remember when I was younger playing bomberman via a dreamcast snes emulator (awesomness) but
    don't remember which one it was.

5. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Bomberman 5 was ok,but my all time favorite game spanning every system,every gen,is bomberman 3.so many memorys playing it with my brother...best game ever...

6. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    5 is an "improved" version of 3; with all the same features and more. Don't get me wrong, 3 is great. [​IMG] it has my favorite music. 4 is sort of disappointing.

7. MarcusRaven

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Love all the Bomberman games. This thread has made me decide to get my collection of them back (roms anyway). I actually used to own the Bomberman Face Multitap. Never actually had a chance to use it, but I had it. [​IMG]

8. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    If you can find it... that one is worth the most. [​IMG] like, 30-40 bucks. the others fetch 20 max. I am jelly.

9. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    The first Bomberman was released on MSX. The Famicom/NES version was a port.

10. Joktan

Member Joktan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've played 1-5.I think maybe the reason I didn't like 5 was cause I didn't have a fully translated Rom and took for ever to get into a game....of course I was little then...

11. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Ooo, difficult to call! 5 was indeed very good, and 4 (and 2 if I remember) were a bit disappointing, but my personal fave out of the 5 SNES games was the first - maybe because that's the one I got most multiplayer gaming out of: me and my kid bro used to hammer battle mode on that for hours (think mum used to join in too!)
    However I think I've only played 5 on an emulator, and since I only started with emus around 2000 I'd left home and so the hours playing with the kid bro never happened..... and if he showed up for a go on Bomberman we'd be all nostalgic and fire no1 up anyway lol.....
    All are good games anyway!!

12. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Does Super Bomberman 5 have any modes that aren't similar to the grid-type puzzle mode that most of the Bombermans have? I can't stand Bomberman games that aren't like the first one for the N64, and so far I've been looking for an extremely long time for one similar to that.

13. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've only ever played one Bomberman game (one of the ones for DS), but I loved it. I should really give this a go, because I love the SNES.

14. koimayeul

Member koimayeul GBAtemp Maniac

France
    The first on SNES remains my favorite.. god that multitap from Hudson Soft i still have it lol