Hacking SCDS1 Sad Panda

Dzan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered my SCDS1 bundle with the 2gb MicroSD from leetmod, and I was able to add a SD card adapter with no hassle, and for free. This was on June 9th. It came to the weekend and there was no progress and the order was still processing, so I contacted CS and asked if there was a problem, and my reply told me that their US office was down that week due to technical errors. Luckily I'm a fairly computer intelligent person and can understand that technical problems can cause...problems, and that people who are employed to fix those problems aren't usually ones to rush and take their sweet time.

Shipped on Monday, the 16th, and I got it today.Popped the MicroSD into my computer and formatted it, put on the OS, did some simple checks to make sure it was reading/writing as intended, then popped it into the SCDS1 then into my DS Lite. It would go past the health and safety screen then white screen. I waited a little bit then reset and did it a couple more times, then went online to look what the buttons were for the self-test mode I knew the thing had.

PSRAM error
frown.gif

I sent the email earlier today before I left and they sent me an apology and the RMA information within a few hours, so I have it ready to send out tomorrow.

This is not a post to make leetmod sound bad, so far their basic service was quick and pain-free(after the technical problem downtime) and their customer service has been quick, informative, and helpful. I have nothing at all against the company because of this, I'm simply documenting why I'm a sad panda.

BUT it does make me want to address something that may be misinformation. I've seen people say that leetmod tests the flash carts before they send them out here and on other forums. I wouldn't be surprised if they would if you asked, they seem to be really good about that sort of thing. But by default, it seems to me that they don't test them before shipping. A PSRAM error would be pretty obvious if they did test it, because even without the self-test it wouldn't be able to boot for them anyways.

Need to note this again since I know some people can misread or NOT read some things and mistake the tone and message of a post. This isn't anti-leetmod, they have good service and the customer service is better then many places I've with over the years. Not the best (I probably won't ever be able to beat the best I've dealt with an email customer service dept), but pretty darn good. I'm not bashing the SCDS1 either, I know stuff happens.

Just telling my story of why I'm a sad panda right now.
frown.gif
The extra week wait made having to RMA that much more of a disappointment after all the extra anticipation.

::EDIT:: Forgot another reason having to RMA is more sad panda, I'm leaving Sunday to camp in Central Ohio and won't be back until the Sunday after, means I won't be able to get in any DS goodness in before my trip
frown.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but if you can get Leetmod to supply a replacement I'd do that. There is also a makeshift solution you can try (doesn't always work), but it involves opening the SCDS cartridge to insert a small bit of paper, so I'd only recommend that if Leetmod won't send you a replacement or you REALLY want to get a working unit before you leave on Sunday. The process is described at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwXdm8Z4-1Y

EDIT: I guess I missed the part where they already sent you the return information. Nevermind then.

Dzan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I tried that and other similar things I do without causing any physical or mechanical alterations to the card, it's safe to say it isn't a contact issue of any kind. I assumed it wasn't anyways, that would only be my first idea if it worked for any amount of time before I got errors, but it was DOA.

Sadly, I just got a defective card.
frown.gif

MjolnirStone

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time for me to chime in on your sad panda story. At the recommendation of someone on this forum I ordered my SCSD1 from leetmod.com earlier this week. It arrived today. Guess what? PSRAM error.

From searching around online, it seems that while this issue isn't overly common, it does happen far too often and really people need to start mentioning it in their "recommend a DS card" threads. I'd have gladly purchased a different card instead had I known this one was experiencing such a common failure. It's also frustrating because I spent 33% more for the thing on leetmod than I would have on Deal Extreme, specifically so that I could use the card sooner. By the time I ship this back, wait for them, and wait for return shipping I'll be at 2-3 weeks and could have just saved myself the money (though I don't want to imagine how long things would take if I received a bad card from Deal Extreme).

dipper145

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My first supercard has a psram error. It is possible they could have tested it before they sent out. What happened to mine was when I got it from kickgaming.ca, I used it and enjoyed it for around a day and a half. At that point it gave me the psram error, and decided to stop booting.

I had to send it back and get a replacement, that all went pretty painlessly, and my new one has been working for several days.

Sorry to hear about your dslessness for the duration of your camp.

dipper145

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well its not like your going to make a thread saying "woo my scds1 works perfectly!"

people usually only post about problems they are having.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I have bought a fair few from DX lately and they have all been fine, I thought the psram error was history. Maybe some bad sellers have kept old-returned stock and are selling them back on for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1