Scared of Super Paper Mario Update

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by NeoGreendawg, Apr 26, 2007.

Apr 26, 2007
  1. NeoGreendawg
    OP

Newcomer NeoGreendawg Member

France
    Hi all,

I've updated my pal Wii to 2.2E, downloaded the final version of opera and to be on the safe side, fixed up the wii24connect but when I put my Super Paper Mario disk in the console it still seems to want to update (update initializing)...
    So, being very, very, skint and afraid of killing my Wii I've not gone any further.

Would some kind soul please help me? I can't let my brand new SPM go to waste... But I can't let it kill my Wii either! [​IMG]

2. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    As long as you've got the latest firmware and an active connection (to be safe) then the update will work fine. [​IMG]

3. NeoGreendawg
    OP

France
    Thanks for the answer Jaxxster [​IMG]

Just to be safe, is this what you've heard or is this based on your own experience?
    Also does an update actually take place or does is just check the firmware version and bypass it?
    I ask that seeing as I read somewhere that if it updates (with an ntsc update) it might brick the console when u download the next pal update...

4. bbal4life

Newcomer bbal4life Newbie

Netherlands
    now ur saying this.. i'm also kinda scared playing super mario paper on my PAL version Wii =( [​IMG]

5. NeoGreendawg
    OP

France
    I amlost said "f*ck it, I'm gonna try this" but somehow managed to resist the temptation...

I won't play SPM before my doubts are gone...
    If any one can put my mind at rest with their own experiences please do... Before I buy a gun and shoot myself in the neck.

6. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    lol, just update your wii untill you get the latest firmware and you will be fine, dont worry.
    But if your still worried about it, do a search through the forum, you will see that everyone that has his/her Wii updated with the latest firmware doesnt have a single problem with their Wii's

7. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    It's entirely possible that updating your Wii with the SPM update might cause problems with future firmware updates - after all you're running an update on a console it's not designed for. If your Wii is all up to date, it will work fine now, but without a time machine you won't know what issues it could potentially cause in the future (it may also potentially cause no issues, there's no way to tell at this stage).

8. EddyB

Member EddyB GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Damn, just update your PAL Wii to version 2.2E and play SPM like I did, if you're scared you should have left you wii in origional state. You can also wrap you wii in old newspapers and put it in the basement, that way it wont get bricked. DONT BE A F*CKIN PUSSY!

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I'm expecting my chipped wii anytime today. I'm not going to try super paper mario, even though I'm up to date. Hopefully on the next wiikey update it will be able to block firmware updates from the disc.

10. Daimakaimura

Member Daimakaimura GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    someone in here called me Paranoia when i said nintendo knows
    and now it seems nintendo is Aware of Modchips

FYI

www.nintendo-europe.com

(i now it's old news )

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Unless Nintendo are based in the australian outback and have no contact with the real world, they would have known about the modchips before they were released.

12. dirtycarrot

Newcomer dirtycarrot Advanced Member

Australia
    DO EET!!!!
    Many hours of fun await!!!!

13. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    SPM was the first backup I tried on my newly installed wiikey. All I did was update to 2.2E (which I did ages ago), have the latest Opera (not necessarily required) and have my internet connection active. Popped the disc in and clicked update. It failed the first few times, and then got up to a point where the wii seemed frozen with a tiny bit still left to go.

Left it for about 10 minutes, and bricking it (in my pants), I decided to turn the Wii off completely, and power back on. SPM picture showed and worked just fine. Found out that the crash and prior failed updates was due to the crappy media I was using to burn the game! *phew*

14. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    just do it, its fine

15. kogepan

Newcomer kogepan Member

It's pretty safe i'd say.
    i was scared but did some research and went ahead and updated now im finish beating the whole game hehehe.

Jap 2.2J updated works just fine.

16. darrrren

Newcomer darrrren Member

United Kingdom
    it is completly safe i have updated over 20 wii and allways run spm after the update. the disc update takes about 15-20 seconds to install.

17. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i'll be honest this game kinda scares me too, i mean some of the characters seem alittle odd to me, kinda like the fear i get from the mad hatter in alice in wonderland

18. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Brickblocker anyone? I didn't even get the option to update after applying that puppy...

19. apignarb

Newcomer apignarb Member

Norway
    Yup, the brickblocker would be the best option, then you don't have to worry about that at all.

And, I'll have to add my two cents: I did partially fark up my wii with an update, though it wasn't the Super Paper Mario one.

After I ran the US update on my Euro-wii that was on the Pokemon Battle Crapola thingie, some of my settings got reset, and I suddenly have doubles of my weather and news channel that I can't remove.

Other than that it works ok though. Still, it kinda pisses me off every time i boot up my wii. Heh.

(And before anyone asks, yes i had 2.2E installed and whatnot)

20. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Uhm, you guys realise that Brickblocker didn't exist back when this topic was made?