Hacking sc-one autoboot homebrew/games testing etc

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Did some random testing trying to autoboot homebrew and commercial games on sc-one.

i found out (which didn't surprise me) that if you replace the header of any nds file to that of sc-ones loader, the system will think it's the normal loader and thus try to boot it.

QUOTE said:
edit: DSOrganise worked. oh, and i also found out you can boot msforsc.nds (the original loader) from DSO just fine.
edit: ok, metroid prime pinball didnt work (white screens), so maybe commercial roms don't work in general...
edit: hahahaha, what a funny idea i had. i replaced it with edited poweroff.nds (which turns off ur ds when run). it worked . That would be a funn prank on someone so that they would think there was a problem with their supercard!
edit: thining about it, maybe metroid pinball didn't work because the loader might only executes msforsc.nds into ram which is only 4 megabytes! now i will test a rom which is under 4 megabytes.
edit: tested Simple DS Series Vol. 2 - The Billiards which is 2 meg trimmed. white screen then a black screen.
edit: tested Sudoku Mania - 3.8 meg trimmed. white screens.
edit: my last test for today, got another success. the E3 table hockey tech demo!!!

i guess this suggests that
A: files have to have their header replaced first to the same as the original loader, and renamed to msforsc.nds (obviously) so the supercard thinks that is the loader and boots it.
B. 3 homebrew files have been successful, suggesting that most other homebrew will. this doesn't surprise me considering msforsc.nds is based off moonshell.
C. you can boot the original msforsc.nds from DSOrganise. probably already known. i wonder if moonshell can boot it too? can moonshell boot homebrew on sc-one?
D: normal roms even those under 4 megabytes freeze on white/black screens. maybe the commercial rom booting code isn't fully in the microfirmware?
E: a captured demo (dumped) table hockey booted perfectly. maybe because these demos don't have the same structure or protection as normal nds roms. it seems quite plausible that the other tech demos and then maybe even download demos may work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn