Say I wanted to install a 360 modchip.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Parsaw, May 11, 2007.

May 11, 2007
  1. Parsaw
    OP

Member Parsaw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it as easy as installing a Oringal Xbox modchip? I've installed a chip on my original xbox, and I'm THINKING about chipping my Xbox 360. Is it easy? Is it worth it? Is it basically the same concept as the original Xbox chips?(I'm pretty sure it is, but want to be certain)

2. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    its much easier than any modchip, because its not a modchip.

it involves flashing the dvd drive of the 360 to allow backups to be played. it works amazingly well if done right, but requires a lot of planning, know-how and effort, including a pc that works with a specific SATA chipset that you may have to buy. You'd be looking for a vt6421 sata pci chipset, so thats what you might call the "modchip".

Add to that the failure rates of the 360 and you have a very risky venture. After doing the mod you pretty much screw your chances of getting a replacement. I did it successfully and have had no problems with my 360. The 360 is great and all, but m$ has actually admitted to the failure rates of the 360, but backed themselves up by saying that they have a great replacement service, which I'm sure is true. This doesn't help us FW modders though.

3. ceraphis

Member ceraphis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I forgot to specifically add that it is definitely worth it, especially if you know beforehand what your homebrew options are. However, you have to make a choice between current homebrew and xbox live. Linux is possible on the 360, but you must make absolutely sure you have the right box AND that you don't update it, else you lose the ability to at least try out homebrew before getting some live action on. All I'm sayin is that if you're really geeky, you'd wanna try linux, and then you'd want to have fun with it but prolly eventually give up and go for updating for live. For example, even if you don't get the 8 bucks a month gold membership, stuff like the crackdown free SP add-on they just added is only obtainable through a live connection, which you won't have with a later kernal version.

There's no really great homebrew reason for flashing the drive. It's only for backups right now. You've got linux, sure, but that comes at the cost of any 360 live options, which is a great reason to own the 360 for. Besides, linux is not optimized in any great way right now, and apparently is a waste of time with regards to computing power available. It's comparable to the PS3 linux, which unfortunately is not optimized for the cell yet, which means you don't get the awesome video encoding capabilities of the cell processor, yet its still kinda fun.

If you choose to mod the dvd drive in the 360, be sure you're ready for any dire consequences such as a bricked 360, especially even if you successfully mod the drive, later on if you have an unrelated 360 problem, you won't be able to send it back with any strong hope of them not noticing you modded it. Also, be sure you know what you're doing before you try to mod it.

4. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    there are modchips out there "flashing" the firmware on the fly

mars77

5. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    i heard the only difference in modding your xbox 360 instead of modding an xbox is that naked chinese girls come to live with you.

6. Parsaw
    OP

United States
    Hahha.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Do you have any specific sites that would be good for me to look at?

7. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    xbox-scene, they have a great tutorial section.

8. Parsaw
    OP

United States
    Oh crap! I forgot about that site. I used to visit that site quite frequently when I first chipped my original Xbox.

I have a question for anyone who can answer: Do I have to buy that Xecuter Xbox 360 connectivity kit? Or can I flash my 360 without it?(I have a Hitatchi drive)

9. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    No, you don't need it. There are other ways to do it.
    Slax CD : 100% (if your SATA chipset is compatible) 0% (If chipset isn’t compatible)

Crossed Wires or 1k Resistor Method: 100% ALWAYS WORKS. If it doesn’t for you, you are doing it wrong. Some risk.

HotSwap:100% but you need a 360 Samsung drive or SATA DVD-ROM

Xecuter Connectivity Kit: 100% but expensive ;-)