Say bye bye to Sims on Facebook

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's simply the continuation of the implosion of "social gaming". Nothing (new) to see here, other than to, perhaps, point out that it was another daft move from EA to spend tons of money getting into this space to begin with when anyone with half a brain *knew* this sort of thing was a massive fad--like Gagnam Style, but with micro-transactions.

(And better music.)

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
This is a horrible thing to say but I don't feel sorry for anyone who spent more than 10 minutes on these games. I'm glad these games are getting axed so now people can realise how much of an idiotic idea it is to play games on facebook in the first place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so now people can realise how much of an idiotic idea it is to play games on facebook in the first place.
HTML5, backend servers, webgl, javscript, flash plugins and more like that can all make proper games in the style of games that have come before it. Therefore proper games can be made and in some senses facebook is little more than a web host to stick an embed code in so how does playing games on facebook become an inherently idiotic idea? You might have serious misgivings about the present/dominant implementation of games on facebook but that is not the same thing.

it does not cost [the publisher/devs] anything.

Depending upon what is done they might still have to staff a support section, provide a measure of updates (many of these games rely on lots of updates to maintain a crowd), possibly pay for servers, do accounting for the games.... none of which is necessarily free.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Some indie developer doing just fine for years keeping their games online with relative small base player.

EA acquire playfish only to shut down their popular games, and finally disband it later (probably).
EA is like Grim of Death.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a horrible thing to say but I don't feel sorry for anyone who spent more than 10 minutes on these games. I'm glad these games are getting axed so now people can realise how much of an idiotic idea it is to play games on facebook in the first place.

Good to know that as gamers we're essentially Rudyard Kipling. The inferior lower gamers don't know what's good for them so it's our duty as "superior gamers" to show them what's right.

Holy fuckballs like why do people say these things.

Reactions: jomaper and Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse