ancient_imhotep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

I have successfully managed to install the latest version of ScummVM on my SCL and copied the Beneath A Steel Sky game from their website to the MicroSD card.

Before copying the scummvm.nds file to the SCL, I used the MoonShine patch as I read somewhere that this had to be done to make it work.

The everything worked OK at first until I tried to save the game and then I hit a problem. I thought that this was caused by the fact that I am using SD memory and that I was being affected by the bug in the drivers.

So I then used the forcesramsave=true in the ini file and this then allowed to me to save in the game.

However because it was writing to SRAM, I lost my saves everytime I turned my DS off.

I changed the ini file to remove the forcesramsave=true statement and tried again. Before starting the game I changed the default options for the Save Path and pointed it to the same folder that the game was stored in. This time I managed to save directly to the SD card and upon inspecting the contents of the SD card found that I now had a SKY-VM.SAV file (1KB) and a SKY-VM.000 (56KB).

My guess would be that the .SAV file is from when I used the forcesramsave=true value, so that I could dump the contents of the SRAM into it, and that the .000 file is the actual save data from the games save program.

Since changing back to the writing directly to the SD card, I have noticed that when I use the save game option in BASS, that I get corrupted characters in all of the save game slots and cannot save. This is 100% down to the bad SD drivers.

So now I have given my story so far, I have a question about using the forcesramsave=true with the SCL.

If I enable forcesramsave=true in the ini file, how do I dump the contents of the SRAM in the .SAV file (just use the Saver menu on SCL loader) and once this is done will the game know that it's save data is in this .SAV file?

I think as a person that only got their SCL & PassWe3 on Friday (2 days) and has not used one before that I have managed to do quite a bit with the help of reading throught all the very helpful posts on this site, however this one has me slightly stumped.

Any one that can help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ancient Imhotep.

ditto_n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing DoTT just fine on my SClite. Delete all your save files from scumm, and copy the save.sav from your supercard patcher directory. Rename this so it has the same name as your scumm nds file (such as ScummVM-A.nds would be ScummVM-A.sav)

ancient_imhotep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply Ditto.

I deleted the .sav and .000 file in my BASS game directory, removed it from the ScummVM games list and re-added it.

Then I copied the save.sav file from the SC Patcher software directory and copied it into the same folder as the ScummVM.nds program, after naming ScummVM.sav.

I left the forcesramsave=true in the ini file, as I am guessing it still needs to write to SRAM to prevent the corruption.

The game now saves like a dream, but the only thing that is a little bit time consuming is the fact that when I finish playing the game and save using the in game menu I then have to power off and on the DS quickly to use the Saver Menu in the SCL loader to dump the contents of the SRAM into the ScummVM.sav file.

Can you confirm if you have to do the same?

At least now I can play the game without fear of lossing my progress. I really hope that someone can sort out the MicroSD drivers soon, then I can write directly to the card.

Cheers for the help.

Ancient Imhotep.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night