Emulation Saving game on emulator.online, trying to load it on ROM

TheLibrarian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been trying to figure this out for a few weeks now, and am totally frustrated. I would appreciate any help received.

I have a Pokemon FireRed game on [an online emulator site that I now know is wares], and can save a xxx.swf.save state file when I click on the 'save state' icon at the bottom of the screen. I understand that I cannot save from the menus inside the game.

I am able to load those .save files up on a different PC or a Mac and continue the game. However, I have been unable to load the .save files into a ROM emulator like VisualBoyAdvance.exe, and have tried many directions for how to do so: rename them as .sav AND .sa1 files is the most common one I have seen. The reason I want to know how to do this is to be able to trade Pokemon inside the games per the guide at [redacted] but I have been unable to load a saved game.

As a result of trying to figure this out, I know now that there are save files and save states. I know more about the inner workings of GBA and emulators than I every knew existed. But my daughter really, really wants to be able to do this. Please help me figure this out. A delightful alternative of doing through emulator.online would be lovely, too. Thank you!

Last edited by TheLibrarian,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
First of all, note that naming and "linking" to warez sites like the emulator one you're referring to is against the rules here. This is because they allow warez to be accessed and played, which is something we do not allow to be linked here at GBATemp. Staff will take care of this thread at some point, but in the future please refrain from using the site name which you use to play the game here.

As to your problem, I imagine you're talking about the .swf.save file that is generated when you make a save state on games, corre ct? If so, that's not an actual game save, it's essentially a Flash file "save state" that's not going to be compatible with any other emulator (since it actually saves the point in flash, not in the game itself). There's nothing you can do with that other than on the site in question.

Checking their site, it seems like that's the only way to save progress, so there's no actual save file being generated by the emulator on your PC. Unfortunately, you're out of luck there, so there's nothing to be done. I suggest you avoid any online emulation sites like that in the future, they're poorly made vs actual PC emulators, have virtually no settings to tweak and lack tons of features that are useful (like trading or save exporting).

TheLibrarian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, note that naming and "linking" to warez sites like the emulator one you're referring to is against the rules here. This is because they allow warez to be accessed and played, which is something we do not allow to be linked here at GBATemp. Staff will take care of this thread at some point, but in the future please refrain from using the site name which you use to play the game here.

As to your problem, I imagine you're talking about the .swf.save file that is generated when you make a save state on games, corre ct? If so, that's not an actual game save, it's essentially a Flash file "save state" that's not going to be compatible with any other emulator (since it actually saves the point in flash, not in the game itself). There's nothing you can do with that other than on the site in question.

Checking their site, it seems like that's the only way to save progress, so there's no actual save file being generated by the emulator on your PC. Unfortunately, you're out of luck there, so there's nothing to be done. I suggest you avoid any online emulation sites like that in the future, they're poorly made vs actual PC emulators, have virtually no settings to tweak and lack tons of features that are useful (like trading or save exporting).

You are awesome. I will edit the original post to follow those guidelines if I can do so; I apologize for my ignorance.

That's what I had started to think about the online site and I dearly appreciate your explaining it so clearly.

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?