Saving emulator games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Redsquirrel, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007

Saving emulator games by Redsquirrel at 11:03 AM (1,169 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Redsquirrel
    OP

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Hi

i order four of these for me and three friends so we could save snes games to a sd card.

However I have tried a few SD cards and none allow us to save using the gecko. Its really annoying especially since i paid for the lot and my friends dont want to pay till i get it working!

When i try to save a game, or even use the wiikey setup to backup a game it just reports error.

Have formatted using FAT, and also tried that dos command with sdload to prepare sdcard!

any ideas please, id be most greatful!

2. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I don't really understand all this sd card adapter stuff. It seems like you can store old emulator rom save states on it as well as back up a wii iso from disc to sd card... I have only just ordered my wii and it hasn't arrived yet (so excuse my ignorance) but what is the gecko sd adapter slot actually utilised for in your typical wii? Also, how big is the actual slot (relative to an sd card for example)?

3. rdurbin

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have only gotten the snes emulator to save on a SD card, you also need the newest version of it. you want snes9xgx 2.0.1b6, which was released a couple days ago. if you wish you can put the emulator on the sd card and use a program like SDload to boot it. there also an nes emu and gameboy emu but i havent been able to get them to save to my gc memory card or SD card.

are you able to open roms from your sd card? on older versions of the SNES emulator i could load roms but not save data to SD card. also make sure you get a version that lets you autosave to a SD card, they are nice and easy to use, dont have to manually save in the menu everytime

4. Redsquirrel
    OP

United Kingdom
    ill try the rom thing, but i dont think it will work.

Im sure i read somewhere there was a snes emu that now saved to a GC memory card - unfourtunatly this was after i ordered the geckos.

From what i know, some games in japan used these adapaters, but nothing else really. But people used them for sdload and the emulators..

I have a emulation dvd with snes, megadrive, nes, master system etc but non save with it, even though they have the option..

5. bug

Newcomer bug Advanced Member

Australia
    Does the emulator save to the Wii SD slot, or the SD Gecko?

6. rdurbin

United States
    the emulators for gamecube will only work with a adapter for the gamecube slot. the wii slot cannot be used

7. Redsquirrel
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes im using gecko in the gc slot.

8. rdurbin

United States
    any luck with the newest version? seems to work great for me, save states work also, but they take way more memory than SRAM saves.

what i do is put all my snes roms on sd card too, that way i dont have to swap to a dvd. I still gotta use a dvd to boot up a program that loads files from a SD card. my wii is modded, not sure how this would be done with an un-modded wii

9. Redsquirrel
    OP

United Kingdom
    ill give it a go over the weekend..