SaveDataFiler with Cartridges and ROMs (.cias)?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JohnTravolski, Jul 13, 2015.

1. JohnTravolski
    OP

JohnTravolski GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    So, I have a save on my Omega Ruby USA cartridge that's playable only in emuNAND at the moment. I have a CFW on my Old 3DS XL, USA version, sysNAND 4.2 and emuNAND 9.8. If I were to install an Omega Ruby .cia in emuNAND, would I be able to:

1. Use SaveDataFiler to transfer the save data if the cartridge is USA and the ROM is a USA version?
    2. Use SaveDataFiler to transfer the save data if the cartridge is USA and the ROM is an EUR version?
    3. Use SaveDataFiler to transfer the save data if the cartridge is USA and the ROM is an EUR version but is labeled as "Region-Free?"
    4. What version of RXtools will I need to use this? (I have a CFW, not Gateway, currently running RXTools 2.6)
    5. What version (USA, EUR, etc) of the Omega Ruby ROM will I need to use FreeMultiPatcher so that I can update the game so I'll always be able to play online (so I don't have to update my emuNAND)?
    I need to know before I mess up and install the wrong ROM. I don't really understand how it all works, so I'd appreciate if all my questions were answered. Thank you.

2. RainThunder

RainThunder GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Hanoi
    1, 2, 3: Yes.
    4: You can use SaveDataFiler in rxTools 2.5 or above.
    5: You should install a legit .cia version of Pokemon Omega Ruby game. It's region-free and can be used with updates from eShop in any region.

3. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    If your save is on an official cart it's easy, if it's on gateway, you need to rename the Save's name (title id) to that of savedatafiller to datafill it.

4. tipsytoto

tipsytoto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    Recently did this. Get rxtools, install the legit cia(region free) version of the game. Use nintendo's eshop app save data transfer tool to transfer your save from the cartridge to the cia installation. Then use savedatafiler to rip the save from the cia and inject it wherever your want.

5. Yehshuah

Yehshuah Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2015
    United States
    will you be able to transfer the save file back form the rom to the cartridge? that means .3ds, 3dz won't work then

6. RainThunder

RainThunder GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Hanoi
    Yes, just use SaveDataFiler to export the save in GW mode, then import it back to your retail carts using CFW (like rxTools) and SaveDataFiler.

There's no need to use official Save Data Transfer tool. SaveDataFiler can handle everything.

7. tipsytoto

tipsytoto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    United States
    I probably misread the OP. He mentions installing a cia version of the game on his emunand. I thought he was trying to get his save from his cart to the cia.