Save me with a .sav file

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by elgin3, Mar 10, 2008.

Mar 10, 2008

Save me with a .sav file by elgin3 at 1:00 PM (1,833 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. elgin3
    OP

Newcomer elgin3 Member

Philippines
    I tried loading MySims on the DSTT and it creates a save file but then when it loads it says no save file. There is extra space on my microSD card and I was able to play other games that didn't have save files and they worked fine. I don't know what's wrong! Can anybody give me a clean save file? [​IMG]

Thank You! Domo Arigato Gozaimasu! Merci! Salamat! Gracias!

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I believe that all games create a .sav file the first time they're run. One possibility is that you've filled up your card and it cannot write a proper .sav file, but if you have space on the card that's not the problem.

Are you using the latest version of the firmware (1.08)? There was a bug with the earlier version that for certain games it would write out a save file with a .SAV extension (uppercase extension) but then wouldn't be able to read it back in. The solution was to rename the save file so that it has a lowercase .sav extension, then everything works after that. I believe that version 1.08 of the firmware fixes the problem.

-Bri

3. elgin3
    OP

Newcomer elgin3 Member

Philippines
    Yes I am using Version 1.08 so what in the world is the problem?

4. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Yeah use 1.08. If not, you could always get a .duc file from a site and convert it to a .sav file using Shuny's save converter.

hehe... Philippines : )

5. Bri

United States
    elgin3,

So when you look at the microSD card on your PC, is the .sav file there? Is it lowercase? How large is the .sav file?

Is it possible that your .nds file is corrupt or incorrectly trimmed? Are you SURE that you have plenty of free space on your microSD card?

-Bri

6. elgin3
    OP

Newcomer elgin3 Member

Philippines
    I downloaded a different My Sims ROM then I tried it and it didn't work again. I checked on the save file and it was named MY.SAV then I renamed it as My Sims.sav and then and only then did it actually work. Now, I'm just wondering how that happened? They fixed it with Version 1.08, right? [​IMG]

7. Bri

United States
    Well, yes the .sav file has to have the same filename as the .nds file and be in the same folder (otherwise it wouldn't know where to look for the .sav file).

I'm not sure why it named the .sav file incorrectly, but it likely had to do with FAT16 which sometimes has problems with long filenames.

I believe that if you were to backup you microSD card and reformat it, then put all the files back on it, it would work.

But personally I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. Glad you got it working!

-Bri