Save game backup/restore on 5.02 -> BOTW WiiU conversion?

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by 0bvious, May 17, 2018.

1. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    I read on GBAtemp some time ago about a save game backup/restore payload. I also read somewhere else about a save game converter for BOTW WiiU saves.

Has anyone successfully moved their BOTW saves from WiiU on a 5.02 firmware Switch? If so, what do I need to go about doing this at the moment?

Thanks

UPDATE: See my comment below with full details on how to do this.

Last edited by 0bvious, May 21, 2018
  2. Boomerams

Boomerams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2016
    United States
    You could start by using search to find that somewhere else you found some time ago. Just saying...no need to be lazy.

Respect!!!

Edit: the answers are there I promise...just looked at this yesterday. Mods please delete another useless thread.

Last edited by Boomerams, May 17, 2018
  3. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    The post I am referring to is here

4. Boomerams

Boomerams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2016
    United States
    Well you found the right place so your answers are there. No need to start a useless thread if a thread already exists about a certain tool. Ask your questions there, read through the thread or use the search function conveniently provided for your forum searching needs.

5. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

blueoval24, ParkerSaint and Boomerams like this.
  6. blueoval24

blueoval24 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2017
    United States
    0bvious likes this.
  7. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Thankyou... can you give any updates/indication how this works for 5.02? The guide doesn't look updated. Did you use checkpoint?

Update: for anyone else trying this. The link given by @blueoval24 works great for converting the WiiU saves. Then I installed Checkpoint in the homebrew menu and restored the converted save. Worked like a dream!

Last edited by 0bvious, May 18, 2018
    Frexxos likes this.
  8. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Dear @blueoval24, I got it working! Thanks so much for your help. It was much easier than I had imagined it would be. Quite amazing to suddenly open up my Switch and have my old WiiU save on there. I have been holding off playing DLC until I could transfer this save. Now, back into the game! Thanks

blueoval24 likes this.
  9. Piklz

Piklz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    ive tried it from wiiu to switch 5.02 using checkpoint looks like it works great!!!plus pasted it to other users on my switch too

10. The transfer tool they linked works with CEMU BotW save files too!

Last edited May 18, 2018
    Piklz likes this.
  11. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Hi guys. My Switch is on 5.0.2. Can this be done? I thought it only works on 3.0 and below. Can someone please walk me through doing this and also what all I need to do it? I don't have a "jig"... Any help greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983, May 20, 2018
  12. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    Here is how I did it:
    1. I have a hacked WiiU, and I am afraid if your WiiU isn't hacked you are going to have to go find that info somewhere else. I followed this guide for backing up my WiiU save game (using SaveMii) and converting it to Switch format on my PC.
    2. I followed this tutorial for installing Homebrew menu on my 5.02 Switch. This guide also includes a super simple way to 'short' the two pins on the right joycon with a piece of tinfoil. EVERYTHING you need is mentioned on there except...
    3. When adding the homebrew menu onto my Switch SDCard I also added Checkpoint - for backing up and restoring save games. (the Checkpoint.nro should be located in \switch\Checkpoint\ on your SD Card)
    4. I booted my Switch into the RCM menu (following guide in 2 above). I loaded Checkpoint and BACKED UP my Switch save game for Zelda BOTW. This is just so it made a folder on my SDcard with the right name etc.
    5. I shutdown my Switch and put the SDCard into my PC. I then made a copy of my Switch save game (for safe keeping) and copied the WiiU converted save (made in part 1) into the folder made by Checkpoint. (for me this was located at \switch\Checkpoint\saves\0xLONGGAMENUMBER The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild\ANOTHERSET-OFNUMBERS myswitchusername\ on my SD Card...)
    6. I then put the SDCard back in my Switch, booted into RCM again, and RESTORED the WiiU converted save.
    7. I rebooted my Switch into normal mode and HEY PRESTO - it all works.
    I think that should be everything.

Last edited by 0bvious, May 21, 2018
  13. 0bvious
    OP

0bvious GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2007
    I realised today that my Hero's Path from the Wii U was not transferred over :-(

14. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    that tutorial doesn't makannay sense at all , i ran the conveter exe and it said it was successful but where is the converted file
    or is it file(s) ? all the folders and files in the in and run it folder where it says to put the .exe look exactly the same after running the converter .exe
    i thought that the sav file for the switch version was just one .sav file?
    that tutorial sucked it just stopped not even half way through
    what is the converted sav file supposed to look like? is it supposed to be one file or is it supposed to look like the wiiu stuff with all those folders and files?does it go in the same folder you ran the exe in? does it go someplace else?
    after conversion is it still all those folders and files or is it just one .sav file?

Last edited by weatMod, Aug 6, 2018