Hacking Save files before format

bobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: I was apparently mistaken about the system memory (Nintendo just gives too damned small of an amount, lol), and after adding it all up, it seems correct. Big thanks to all who helped though, as it's good to have my saves backed up in case I ever do need to format.

Hey guys, a couple quick questions, but first, an explanation:

When I first started in Wii hacking, I was dumb, and put a ton of wads on my SD card. At that time (before HBC), the installer installed (or at least tried to) all of the wads on the card all at once, no selecting individual wads. As such, some of my Wii's memory was lost (assume corrupted?), but it still worked, and all my saves and everything are fine. Well, my Wii just froze while starting up Elebits through BLG, and since that is a 100 block save file, my Wii is now 100 blocks shorter than it already was (again, I'm assuming the save got corrupt).

Therefore, I want to format my Wii and hopefully (I assume) get my full mem. capacity back. BUT- I don't want to lose my saves (Wii, VC, Wiiware). Now, most games thankfully allow you to backup the saves no problem, but for those that don't:

1. For games, such as Brain Age or Wii Sports for example, that say the save is tied to your Mii, what happens when I reformat? If I store my Mii on my remote first, then transfer it over after the reformat, will everything still work and carry over?

2. For those games that don't let you copy saves, I know there is Waninkoko's savegame installer/extracter, but if I am understanding the instructions on Wiibrew correctly, I am supposed to "Insert the desired game DVD and press Reset on the Wii or the A button on a GameCube controller." What about for backups, or games I rented but don't currently have? Is there a way to either do it without inserting the disc, or does anyone know if saves from backups can be copied over? Same goes for reinstalling the saves. (or better yet, is there a better option?) EDIT: Answered! Thanks Picano!

3. Is there any extra steps I need to do since there is HB, DVDX (from 0.1 loader), and the custom IOS files, or will the reformat take care of all that, and I can just use twilight hack and safe update 3.3 from scratch like I first did?

Edit: 4. One last question. Is it best to update using a disc update to, say, 3.2 (iirc, Mario Kart's update) first, or just do twilight hack, install HBC, 3.3 safe update, cios, etc as normal right after the format?

Thanks in advance!

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Just noting... you should be able to copy over saves "properly" via the "remove no copy flag" in Gecko OS's rebooter.

As far as miis go... I know I've had a few save files default to some random mii when the mii was deleted from the channel so... might be the same.

bobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks! Gecko worked great! IDK how I missed that in my search, all I saw were the save installer/extractors, which are clearly much more hassle than this, and this works great for channels and wiiware saves too!

Now to figure out if there's anything extra I need to do before/after reformating, and I'm all set...

Thanks again!

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bobbo said:
Hey, thanks! Gecko worked great! IDK how I missed that in my search, all I saw were the save installer/extractors, which are clearly much more hassle than this, and this works great for channels and wiiware saves too!

Now to figure out if there's anything extra I need to do before/after reformating, and I'm all set...

Thanks again!

why are you formatting? there's almost never ever ever a good reason to do so.

bobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
bobbo said:

Thanks again!

why are you formatting? there's almost never ever ever a good reason to do so.

As I stated, I don't have access to as many blocks of memory as I should. I know for a fact that at least 109 blocks (Elebits) got corrupt and are not usable, and I'm fairly certain that there are other blocks that are corrupt as well (I guess I should check to see how many a new Wii has to find out how many I'm "missing"). So, unless there is an easier/better alternative to restore the missing/corrupted blocks of memory, I think I need to reformat (I could be wrong, and would love to know what my other options may be)

Thanks.

bobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I just finally added up all my blocks, and it comes out to be 2175. Googling tells me the Wii has ~2163, so with rounding errors (kind of like the rouding error for gigabytes on large hard drives) I guess everything is fine after all
wtf.gif
shy.gif
. Now, I swear before playing Elebits, when it froze, that I had ~100 more blocks than it said I had, but I was apparently mistaken. Still, nice to have all my stuff backed up in case it DOES ever need to be reformated.

Thanks for all the help everyone (mods, if you want, you can now close this thread please and thank you)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple