Save dumping

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by drfsupercenter, Jul 14, 2008.

Jul 14, 2008

Save dumping by drfsupercenter at 5:38 PM (865 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    Hi,

Is it possible to dump a save file from a GBA game (I'm looking to use Pokémon Ruby for this) using something like an Action Replay or GameShark? I know the GBC GameShark could when hooked up to the computer... and it would make cloning Pokémon so much easier.

2. BurlyEd

Member BurlyEd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It is (was?) possible. I tried several gba flash kits. They could read and write the "rom" file OK.
    None could reliably write a save file to a retail cart. One (XROM?) could sometimes read the save.
    I could then use the .sav file on VBA and use kdpavatar's pokemonmaker program.

I gave all my GBA hardware (except my 3in1 for DS), so I do not remember the brands.
    Bottom line: It may still be possible, but it was a PITA!. I use VisualBoyAdvance emulator mostly for GBA games.
    I just finished Dragon Quest Monsters - Caravan Heart (Highly recommended) and FF2 on VBA.
    I played FF1 and FF2 and tried a few Pokemon games on my DS with a DSTT and a 3in1.
    Berries will not grow as the 3in1 does not have a Real Time Clock (RTC). Neither do most GBA flash cards.
    .sav files transfer easily between DS and VBA.

It is easier to restart the game on VBA than to transfer the save from a GBA cart, unless Rudolph has written a 3in1 proggie for GBA?
    His NDS_Backup_Tool_3in1.nds works great for dumping NDS ROMs and transferring saves between retail carts and DS.

Your mileage may vary.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    Well, I meant more so that I could then put it back on the game once I trade my Pokémon somewhere else.

You know how the GameBoy Color GameShark let you save states, and you could put those on the computer? Do any of the GBA cheat devices do that? It would probably be the easiest way...

Any way to use an Action Replay DS when hooked up via USB, assuming the DS can use the GBA port?