Save backup/write?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by AuthorX, Nov 27, 2007.

Nov 27, 2007

Save backup/write? by AuthorX at 3:03 AM (829 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. AuthorX
    OP

Newcomer AuthorX Member

United States
    I haven't seen anything like this so I'm wondering, is there any way to use the R4 to backup save files? I tried the ROM dumping function with GBAldr, but I don't know if the SAV file is actually a save file, since someone said it's meant to dump the RAM of the 3-in-1 or something like that. I also want to know if it's possible to overwrite the save file in an official GBA game with a backed up save using the R4.

I'm also curious about DS game saves, but I don't know if it would be possible. I've found developers to be very crafty, though, so it might be possible. I'd also like to know if this would be possible if I had the 3-in-1 or other (cheap) slot-2 device.

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Google SavSender and SavReceiver. You'll need working WiFi and connected computers (WiFi or not) for it to work though.

3. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    What he said, it is difficult to do for the first time and you need some experience with routers if you have one and know how to forward ports and stuff

This topic found here will break it down into manageable steps, be sure to follow them carefully though.

4. AuthorX
    OP

Newcomer AuthorX Member

United States
    Thanks, I'm trying to do all that, but right now I'm stuck on getting homebrew working with WiFi (my DS can't see the router in my dorm room at all, even when I manually enter the SSID, and it can't seem to get to the internet when I set up my Nintendo WiFi Connector as SoftAP).

I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Is there any way to do this with just GBA carts without using WiFi?

~e~
    Never mind, I kept working on it and got the connection working. Now I just need to try that program.

~e2~

*sigh*
    I guess I will work on it later.

~e3~
    Hah! I got it. It was just the Windows Firewall. Now I just need to figure out GBA saves, and how to restore as well as backup. Thanks, guys!

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Restoring can be done via SavSender as well, though I don't know if SavReceiver has the capability to do it. If you go to the SCDev forums in the FAQ section, you'll find my how-to on using the "netcat" program with SavSender to both dump and restore save files. It's the one that the previous guide was based off of, but I haven't updated it in ages.

For GBA saves, the only way you can do it from an R4 is to use EEPINATOR, which will only work on SRAM saves. GBA saves in EEPROM or Flash format will not work. If you have a slot-2 device with DLDI support, you can use Chishm's cart_save utility which will backup and restore all types.