• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Saudi Arabia Agrees to Let Women Drive

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i am actually crying, after so much, women can finally drive cars in Saudi Arabia

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html

Saudi Arabia announced on Tuesday that it would allow women to drive, overturning a longstanding policy that has become a global symbol of the repression of women in the ultraconservative kingdom.

The change, which will not happen immediately, was announced on state television and in a simultaneous media event in Washington. It highlights the damage that the policy has done to the kingdom’s international reputation and its hopes for a public relations benefit from the reform.

Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, is a Muslim monarchy ruled according to Shariah law. Saudi officials and clerics have provided numerous explanations for the ban over the years.

Some said that it was inappropriate in Saudi culture for women to drive, or that male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them ]Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women’s ovaries.

"Ministry of Foreign Affairs"
https://twitter.com/KSAMOFA/status/912754205563117568

i can't wait to get my license, no more waiting for my brother to pick me up :rofl2:

my only issue right now is many men in the country have rock minded, they don't believe in women power, and other still won't accept this change right now.

i hope everything go as plan without problems.
we still need a Law for Harassment.

peace on you all :bow:

DKrDsFOX0AAbGE9.jpg

Last edited by aos10,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice, though it still is a tad sad to hear women being seen as unfit to drive all the way to now in a part of the world, granted it's now being lifted but I still don't get why women would be seen as lower then men...

Reactions: aos10

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wew Good for you. Tbh I hope more things like this happen and I don't know why stupid barriers like this are created to stop people from doing what they want when it is beneficial to most people

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I personally would have loved it if someone could drive me around however I want.
I drive nearly 100 miles daily (155 KM to be precise) and am sick to the bone from driving!

Anyways, congrats on the this.
I'll probably upgrade my car insurance tomorrow :rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I wish an actual future for the women of Saudi Arabia now that they're finally starting to learn they were wrong about women being second-class citizens.
The problem is majority are idiots and many of the rest are paid for their opinions.
Sheikhs, for example, used to come up with the most ridiculous excuses and even involved religion into this when everybody with a single brain cell would see countless faults in their claims.
(No seriously, even at the time Islam came up women could go and do however they want!)

At least the upcoming King doesn't go with those halfwits decisions.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My teaching days in Saudi Arabia are over. Partially because of the economic collapse due to the decay of the oil sands profit. Best of luck to anyone trying to live a good life out there ;D

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
My teaching days in Saudi Arabia are over. Partially because of the economic collapse due to the decay of the oil sands profit. Best of luck to anyone trying to live a good life out there ;D
yeb, oil price are rising in saudi arabia, soon the price will rise up to 80% for oil 91 and 95.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

it's totally unsafe to drive with that dressing :teach::teach:

i hope they pass a law that woman can not wear that full cover if the cars got black tinted glass like a limo...

anyway, why did they decided to let woman drive? they realized if woman drive they can get more money from oil tax?

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
it's totally unsafe to drive with that dressing :teach::teach:

i hope they pass a law that woman can not wear that full cover if the cars got black tinted glass like a limo...

anyway, why did they decided to let woman drive? they realized if woman drive they can get more money from oil tax?
the photo is a joke, women can wear anything in the head or not wear hijab, but you have to wear decent not revealing clothes.

about why? there are many reasons of why, mostly because the oil is about to go away so they have to do something about economy and to let women to do more jobs.

we are also getting cinemas SOON™.

Last edited by aos10,

aos10

Yuuki chan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i thought in some parts of islamic countries woman had to be fully covered?
in public yes,but not fully covered, some area you closed area you can not wear anything on head (if you want like in hospitals).
there is several kind of hijab, so it's up to the Muslim women (or her guardian) to wear or not wear the full hijab.

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You live in Saudi Arabia? Are you happy there? Are you allowed to wear normal clothes in the public?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...